1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

2022 Brian Hughes on the NICE Guideline and what it means for care of people with ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Andy, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Copied post

Video is now available
    Code:
    https://youtu.be/D8ayxBSsk_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ayxBSsk_M

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2022
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moved posts
    That is a super talk by Brian Hughes. I would like it to be viewed widely by clinicians and those commissioning services for ME/CFS. I think it's so important that a professor of psychology explains why the psychosomatic view of Me/CFS has been shown to be wrong. And he effectively counters the misinformation in the media about the guideline.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2022
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really enjoyed it too. Will try to see it again. There were some very useful quotes in the talk.

sebaaa, Forbin, Sean and 9 others like this.
  4. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm just starting to listen to the webinar with prof. Brian Hughes, here's an excerpt that made me smile... :

" ...there is a very clear separation here that is a physical illness requiring physical management not psychological management... we might note at this point, that if you are a psychologist in the UK heavily involved in treating mecfs, it is natural for you to become anxious when you see the new guideline, because it is essentially being identified that your expertise is no longer needed and no longer evidence-based, so this might explain some of the human reaction like clinicians to the new guideline. "

5. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps these psychologists can give each other CBT to help them cope with this anxiety and also to help them to face up to the harm they've done to patients. As professionals they should have been keeping abreast of the science and questioning the validity of the psychogenic theory and they should have been listening to patients and seeing CBT/GET didn't work and indeed harmed many.

sebaaa, Binkie4, Wyva and 23 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps it should be like the great bake off. You have two psychologists CBT-ing each other and the one that alters the most unhelpful beliefs in the other wins. It could get quite vicious.

7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was a great talk, I really enjoyed it too.

The only thing I have doubts about is the idea of science being able to move on when the current generation of scientists retires. Not only did they train the subsequent generation, but the politics and funding of healthcare are actively pushing delivery in particular directions (as cheap as possible, with as few interactions with clinicians as possible). A proportion of researchers and clinicians will inevitably develop their practice to fit.

EzzieD, MEMarge, Forbin and 4 others like this.
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fortunately, proponents of the BPS model of ME/CFS are well known for their sense of humor. I mean, how could they not be?

[​IMG]

[I think Hughes actually says "by clinicians to the new guideline" instead of "like clinicians," although the auto-transcript does say "like clinicians to the new guidelines."]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    TiredSam, Lilas, MEMarge and 2 others like this.