1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A 4-day mindfulness-based cognitive behavioural intervention program for CFS/ME. An open study, with one-year follow-up, 2018, Stubhaug et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JaimeS, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Great job, congrats! ;)

2. TheBassist

TheBassist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good grief, mindfulness will able to cure a broken neck soon

ladycatlover, EzzieD, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bjarte Stubhaug is about mindfulness (and CBT) as ME treatment, co author Gerd Kvale has in addition developed a treatment program called The Bergen 4-Day Treatment - B4DT and this is the one who has inspired developing the center that's being build

More about B4DT in English from Haukeland University Hospital/Health Bergen here:
    https://helse-bergen.no/en/the-bergen-4-day-treatment-b4dt

Apparently TIME Magazine has named Gerd Kvale and co author Bjarne Hansen as two of the 50 most influential persons in health care in 2018
    https://www.uib.no/en/news/128127/among-50-most-influential-health-care

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    EzzieD, andypants, Andy and 4 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Andy, Trish and Simbindi like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

6. Kalliope

Patient advocate Sissel Sunde was recently interviewed in a local Norwegian newspaper about her disease. Summary here in the Scandinavian thread.

She talked about the different ME treatments she had tried, among other the treatment provided by psychiatrist Bjarte Stubhaug who authored the study for this thread. The treatment was improving routines for sleep and meals, and walks and mindfulness. It was said that ME is the same as having a bad period and she wasn't sick, but vulnerable to stress. Dr. Stubhaug was also interviewed in same article and said he didn't recognise what was being being said about his treatment. He said it isn't a treatment for ME, but a programme for coping with stress, fatigue and health problems.

Today Sissel Sunde has written a blog post where she tells more about what the treatment at dr. Stubhaug entailed, a list of different claims he's made over the years, and also about her objections to his study.

Stubhaug villeder Aftenbladets lesere
    Google translation: Stubhaug is misleading Aftenbladet's readers

Quote:

I have sent several reports of concern to the authorities based on documents provided by REK Vest and my personal experience. The lessons were:

In Norway you can run your own clinic, research your own treatment program, have a financial interest in the result, recruit the participants yourself, call everyone ME patients - even if diagnostic criteria are not mentioned in the protocol, they should research a "general psychiatric patient population " and the participants do not know they are participating in an ME study - without the Norwegian Board of Health seeing any reason for" further supervisory follow-up. "

And thus the study is still on the National Competence Service for CFS / ME's website , while Stubhaug turns the cloak after the wind in the media.

What was once a "treatment program for CFS / ME" is now a treatment for "various stress-related health problems."

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So his study using CFS/ME in the title is not about ME, or CFS, it's about coping with stress. We have actually crossed beyond satire and into whatever comes after.

Orwell was completely wrong about having to fix past records. You have dudes here who can bullshit in real-time in ways that literally dispute the titles of their latest study, and no one but us care. As happened with PACE. And almost no one cares, not the skeptics, not the authorities, even those tasked with "ethics".

And here it's a medical doctor talking about clinical decisions he makes about real people, over whom he has enormous power, on an issue that is ruinous to millions. Because there are no consequences, because medicine is failing at holding people accountable for blatantly unethical behavior. Beyond absurd.

Duty of candor, my ass. Why even pretend, then? Those words are basically like one of those inspirational posters with a cat hanging in there.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2021
    EzzieD, Art Vandelay, Sean and 4 others like this.