1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A catalog of tens of thousands of viruses from human metagenomes reveals hidden associations with chronic diseases, 2021, Tisza and Buck

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by InfiniteRubix, Jun 10, 2021.

1. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A catalog of tens of thousands of viruses from human metagenomes reveals hidden associations with chronic diseases

Michael J. Tisza and Christopher B. Buck

PNAS June 8, 2021 118 (23) e2023202118;

https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2023202118

merylg, MeSci, Mithriel and 10 others like this.
  2. InfiniteRubix

Mithriel, Sean, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Interesting paper from a couple of researchers from the Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda.

I've copied the bits I found most interesting and understandable (which was not the methodology). It sounds like substantial advances are being made in techniques to find bits of virus genome, and to identify them against databases of known viruses.

Phages can materially change how bacteria interact with the human body

Techniques are still developing. The technique used really affects what is found, often more than what disease the human host has.

You need a large sample (150 patients) and/or time series data to control for noise

They see the potential applications of investigation of the virome to chronic human disease. Me too, it would be great to have studies of ME/CFS viromes.

There's so much more to be known.
    edited to remove my spellchecker's preference for the virile rather than the virome

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    merylg, MeSci, Mithriel and 7 others like this.
  4. InfiniteRubix

Thanks for the great success and dice