1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A European Research Agenda for Somatic Symptom Disorders, Bodily Distress Disorders, and Functional Disorders, 2018, van der Feltz-Cornelis et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A European Research Agenda for Somatic Symptom Disorders, Bodily Distress Disorders, and Functional Disorders: Results of an Estimate-Talk-Estimate Delphi Expert Study

May 2018

van der Feltz-Cornelis CM., Elfeddali I., Werneke U., Malt UF., Bergh OVD., Schaefert R., Kop WJ., Lobo A., Sharpe M., Söllner W., Löwe B., Allaz AF., Ancane G., Bendix M., Berney A., Blanch J., Boye B., Burton C., Cardoso G., Cathébras P., Cosci F., Dantoft TM., Enck P., Ferrari S., Fink P., Fortes S., Fritzsche K., Frostholm L., Geiser F., Gündel H., Guthrie E., Henningsen P., Hüsing P., Hyphantis T., Jenewein J., Kenedi C., Keller M., Khohlova K., Kohlmann S., Kotsis K., Lahmann C., Lemogne C., Pohontsch N., Weigel A., Rief W., Hartman TO., Nater U., Natsov II., Nedelcu L., Noll-Hussong M., Urrutia AR., Rantis K., Rosendal M., Rosmalen J., Rymaszewska J., Sandlund M., Schröder A., Shedden-Mora M., Slawomir C., Stauder A., Stoyanov D., Syngelakis M., Stelcer B., Tomas-Aragones L., Terp IM., Tkalcic M., Toussaint A., Zurowski M.

"The proposed ICD-11 beta draft classification of Bodily Distress Disorders (BDD) (24, 25) may differ from SSD (19).

This has led to controversy and a proposal to delete BDD from the ICD-11 beta version (26) as it seems hard to discern from Bodily Distress Syndromes (27) that captures many of functional and somatoform disorders (28) and shows similarities with the ICD-10 classification of somatoform autonomous dysfunction (29).

Similarly to functional disorders (FD), BDD mainly focuses on medically unexplained physical symptoms for its classification, rather than on their psychological conundrums (30).

In order to cover the multitude of aspects described above, in this study, we will use the combined term of Somatic Symptom Disorders (SSD), Bodily Distress Disorders (BDD) and functional disorders (FD), as was done in an earlier study of the EURONET-SOMA network (31)."

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00151/full

eta: see also
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5961475/

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    MSEsperanza, Inara, Sean and 4 others like this.
  2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I assume the Burton C is Chris Burton who has just been appointed to the NICE guidelines commitee.

MSEsperanza, Inara, Joel and 5 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

YOU missed Burton C.

edit posted before John Mac's post showed

MSEsperanza and Trish like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And Nater U is probably the most ridiculous quack I'm aware of.

So a bunch of people who want careers from poor research into this stuff got together and decided that:

Interesting.

inox, MSEsperanza, Inara and 4 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These disorders are at best highly heterogenous. Guess what happens when you investigate highly heterogenous patient cohorts when the diagnosis is problematic and you don't know what you are looking for? How long will it take to advance appropriate scientific research?

Almost everyone familiar with the CFS and ME cohort debate will know the answer to this one.

Manganus, inox, MSEsperanza and 7 others like this.
  6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the long term advocacy goals should be user-defined research priorities. Then we can starve the quacks of funding. Without funding they have little power.

inox, MSEsperanza, Inara and 3 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

With Sharpe, Fink and Burton, what could possibly go wrong? :arghh:

inox, MSEsperanza, Inara and 8 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Where did all those extra authors come from? Only these people are listed as authors on the paper at the link
    Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 12.14.02.png

There is a section at the bottom of the paper
    Not sure it's useful to list participants as authors, assuming that's where the list came from.

MSEsperanza, Inara and James like this.
  9. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

No Patient-Centric ideals blocking this cabals future as money trail followers.

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone know the difference between Somatic Symptom Disorders (SSD), Bodily Distress Disorders (BDD) and functional disorders (FD).
    I thought they were interchangeable terms for psychosomatic.

inox, MSEsperanza, Webdog and 3 others like this.
  11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to cross reference this. Some may recall that in the 1988 paper Wessely et al stated that it was preferable to view symptoms in terms of "abnormal illness (EDIT behaviour)" rather than "hysteria". They cited a paper by Pilowsky I from 1969, which so far as I can see they have not subsequently referred to. It is interesting to note the full list of potential diagnoses which Pilowsky thought covered by this description:

functional illness, functional overlay. hysteria, hysterical overlay, conversion reaction, psychophysiological reaction, somatisation reaction, hypochondriasis, invalid reaction, neurasthenia, psychogenic regional pain, "psychosomatic", psychological invalidism, malingering, Munchhausen's syndrome and organ neurosis.

Hard to see any good reason for not wishing it to be known that that is how they see ME.

Manganus, MSEsperanza, Inara and 2 others like this.
  12. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are many blog posts on DxRevisionWatch that go into details about the differences between them and where they overlap.

For example:

https://dxrevisionwatch.com/2018/07/21/comparison-of-ssd-bdd-bds-bss-in-classification-systems/

https://dxrevisionwatch.com/2013/06/19/bds-bdds-bss-bdd-unscrambled/

https://dxrevisionwatch.com/2012/08...y-distress-syndrome-eaclpp-lecture-june-2012/

https://dxrevisionwatch.com/2013/05...-distress-and-functional-disorders-published/

Trish, inox, MSEsperanza and 4 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

To repond out of order;
    BDD is Per Fink's 'new' construct which he's attempting to get accepted by WHO.
    SSD is the more established construct, explained by Wikipedia as "A somatic symptom disorder, formerly known as a somatoform disorder,[1][2][3] is any mental disorder which manifests as physical symptoms that suggest illness or injury, but which cannot be explained fully by a general medical condition or by the direct effect of a substance, and are not attributable to another mental disorder"
    FD is complicated. Wikipedia explains it as "A functional disorder is a medical condition that impairs normal functioning of bodily processes that remains largely undetected under examination, dissection or even under a microscope. At the exterior, there is no appearance of abnormality. This stands in contrast to a structural disorder (in which some part of the body can be seen to be abnormal) or a psychosomatic disorder (in which symptoms are caused by psychological or psychiatric illness). Definitions vary somewhat between fields of medicine.

Generally, the mechanism that causes a functional disorder is unknown, poorly understood, or occasionally unimportant for treatment purposes. The brain or nerves are often believed to be involved. It is common that a person with one functional disorder will have others.".

Non-psychs will refer to functional disorders and NOT mean a psych condition (i.e. in a paper from a couple of years ago, Columbia/Lipkin referred to ME being a functional disorder and absolutely did not mean it in a psych sense), whereas psychs will refer to functional disorders and WILL mean a psych condition.

So, depending on the author, yes, they can be interchangeable terms for psychosomatic.

Manganus, inox, MSEsperanza and 8 others like this.
  14. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They never mention the high medical and societal cost of a misdiagnosis of one of these unedivenced diagnoses.

A good example was a German friend who had had long standing chronic fatigue and a heart condition that required surgery. Following surgery she experience severe pain whenever she bent forward. This pain was diagnosed as psychosomatic, even though it was severe enough to prevent her working and arround the same time a foster placement with her broke down catastrophically. Following numerous visits with various doctors, private visits to a healer and a period of medically prescribed psychotherapy, she eventually some eighteen months later found a doctor willing to authorised an X-ray. There was a ten inch long surgical tool left in her chest cavity from the heart surgery.

The cost of not doing that X-ray earlier must have been in the tens of thousands of euros.

It then took several years of complaints and legal battles to gain compensation, but never an apology. I must admit when I saw the X-ray I could not imagine how she had not suffered major organ trauma. Fortunately she had fought the medical advice to push through the pain. She is however left with life long distress and a very rational fear of doctors which made life even more difficult when she subsequently developed a life threatening cancer.

[edited to remove some potentially identifying details]

Manganus, inox, MSEsperanza and 13 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just different ways of counting angels dancing on a hairpin. It's all made-up anyway so rigor is entirely optional.

chrisb, MSEsperanza, Medfeb and 6 others like this.
  16. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ulrik F. Malt is a red flag. He has among other co-authored some articles about ME with Lillebeth Larun (the one with the Cochrane review which might or might not be pulled) and prof. Wyller (known for a strong BPS approach).

Manganus, inox, MSEsperanza and 5 others like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Games with words, and our lives.

Just because they can't admit they got nothing.

MSEsperanza, rvallee, Inara and 2 others like this.
  18. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This isn't quite right. Bodily distress syndrome is Fink's construct. Bodily distress disorder is the ICD-11 term and Somatic symptom disorder the construct from DSM-V. With respect to those terms, I don't think @Dx Revision Watch would mind me cropping this table from the attached PDF she has previously made available, which summarises the differences between them.

Screenshot_20181029-162825_Xodo Docs.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There you have the entire gang. It's really scary.

MSEsperanza and rvallee like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MSEsperanza, rvallee and Trish like this.