1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Low Glutamate Diet Improves Cognitive Functioning in Veterans with Gulf War Illness, 2020, Kirkland et al.

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by mariovitali, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@mariovitali

I take NAC as well. As an ex-heavy smoker - I stopped over 10 years ago - I find it hard to clear out my lungs. NAC thins out the mucus and allows it to be coughed up which must reduce the risk of me getting respiratory infections, while also improving my breathing and making me feel much more comfortable.

Thanks for all the slides. I'll read them as soon as energy permits.

2. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

it is probably not worse than a missing energy substitute for a broken tca cycle. it is absolutely and definitely no coincidence high glutamate is found in many diseases of the central nervous system.

saying that, reducing glutamate in diet is probably still a good idea.

3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Now I feel a few things are mumbled together.

Glutamine can be turned into glutamate, but also the other way around.

If a "high glutamate diet" equals a high processed diet, more things are changed when reducing glutamate than "just" reducing glutamate. You could potentially have high glutamate in your body without eating MSG, because your metabolism makes it so.

If you react to a supplement like L-glutamine, it could just mean that you have enough of it in your body, so extra supplementation can be detrimental (or best case it makes no difference), while someone else have lower levels and thrive on said supplement. Some metabolites are dependent on the rest of your diet, how well you absorb and metabolite nutrients (which again are dependent on multiple things) etc., "subtypes" could just be an effect of different diets, not necessarily different disease mechanisms.

4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know I react strongly to MSG but I also have issues with sauerkraut.

However, I suspect the sauerkraut reaction is down to my gut "disliking" fermented products so this isn't necessarily because of glutamate, though I may also be reacting to that.

Not straightforward.

5. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Many react to fermented foods due to histamine, it's not straightforward in the least to figure out *what* in the food one is reacting to. There are the obvious candidates, but could also be something else. Gets even worse if it's a group of similar compounds you can find in many foods. Or many different compounds could have similar effects (there are a lot of things that can be either protective or detrimental to the gut lining for example, makes me so annoyed when someone creates a muffin to test non celiac gluten intolerance and said muffin contains other flours or gums that could influence the gut wall and give symptoms just like gluten..)

Nutritional sciences are - thankfully - moving towards a focus to dietary patterns and whole foods, not just looking at individual nutrient. Foods contain many compounds in addition to the one nutrient we are interested in learning more about, some could be protective against an otherwise harmful substance, while others could be harmful we just don't know it yet. Taking a supplement is thus not the same as getting the same nutrient from food ( i) missing the other substances that would otherwise have been ingested with the nutrient ii) dosage may be higher/lower than what you would get from food and the body might not metabolize it well).

Amw66, Kitty, rainy and 5 others like this.