Trial Report A Multimodal Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Feasibility and Clinical Correlation, 2024, Kaur

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Aug 25, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.mdpi.com/1648-9144/60/8/1370

A Multimodal Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Feasibility and Clinical Correlation
    Abstract

Background/Objectives:

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a neurological disorder characterized by post-exertional malaise. Despite its clinical relevance, the disease mechanisms of ME/CFS are not fully understood. The previous studies targeting brain function or metabolites have been inconclusive in understanding ME/CFS complexity. We combined single-voxel magnetic resonance spectroscopy (SV-MRS) and functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). Our objectives were to examine the feasibility of the multimodal MRI protocol, identify possible differences between ME/CFS and healthy controls (HCs), and relate MRI findings with clinical symptoms.

Methods:

We enrolled 18 female ME/CFS participants (mean age: 39.7 ± 12.0 years) and five HCs (mean age: 45.6 ± 14.5 years). SV-MRS spectra were acquired from three voxels of interest: the anterior cingulate gyrus (ACC), brainstem (BS), and left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (L-DLPFC). Whole-brain fMRI used n-back task testing working memory and executive function. The feasibility was assessed as protocol completion rate and time. Group differences in brain metabolites and fMRI activation between ME/CFS and HCs were compared and correlated with behavioral and symptom severity measurements.

Results:

The completion rate was 100% regardless of participant group without causing immediate fatigue. ME/CFS appeared to show a higher N-Acetylaspartate in L-DLPFC compared to HCs (OR = 8.49, p = 0.040), correlating with poorer fatigue, pain, and sleep quality scores (p’s = 0.001–0.015). An increase in brain activation involving the frontal lobe and the brainstem was observed in ME/CFS compared to HCs (Z > 3.4, p’s < 0.010).

Conclusions:

The study demonstrates the feasibility of combining MRS and fMRI to capture neurochemical and neurophysiological features of ME/CFS in female participants. Further research with larger cohorts of more representative sampling and follow-ups is needed to validate these apparent differences between ME/CFS and HCs.

Keywords:
    myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS); brain function; brain metabolites; single-voxel magnetic resonance spectroscopy (SV-MRS); task-phase functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2024
    Sly Saint, RedFox, Ash and 7 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Effort preference.

RedFox, Ash, alktipping and 13 others like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

I can't see the supplementary materials yet, so I'm not sure what level of brain fog the patients had. They met either IOM or CCC.

Results (fMRI) —

From discussion —

[41] Proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy and morphometry of the hippocampus in chronic fatigue syndrome. (2000, British Journal of Radiology)
    [42] Mapping of pathological change in chronic fatigue syndrome using the ratio of T1- and T2-weighted MRI scans (2020, NeuroImage: Clinical)

[11] Neuroimaging characteristics of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome ME/CFS: a systematic review (2020, Journal of Translational Medicine)

Which might be more than simply the absence of progressive efficiencies that HCs demonstrate in Absence of BOLD adaptation in chronic fatigue syndrome revealed by task functional MRI (2024, Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism) —

So overall, this points to an impairment or inefficiency in brain function that can be compensated for, though presumably at cost (ie PEM-cognitive). The compensation allowing for equivalent performance to HC is in patients with mild enough ME that they can tolerate the testing. With current technology, I doubt it's going to be possible or indeed ethical to repeat this with more severely affected patients, but I suspect the differences would be much more pronounced and more easily able to point us in the right direction.

RedFox, Ash, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

So, magnetic resonance spectroscopy only in three regions of interest: anterior cingulate gyrus (ACC), left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (L-DLPFC) and the brain stem (BS).

Patient selection looks to have been fine - i.e. from a registry, diagnosis confirmed by physician interview, PEM required. The age range of the patient participants was very wide (24-68 years) and there were only 5 healthy controls, so, that's not ideal; the authors acknowledge that this study was only preliminary. What isn't okay though is that there is no mention of blinding the assessment of the imaging. That's a problem, as there is quite a lot of processing where bias could creep in. Hopefully they can fix that in their next study - perhaps it was done and just wasn't mentioned.

So, it doesn't sound as though they found very much in terms of brain metabolite differences, perhaps hampered by the small size of the healthy control cohort.
    NAA is N-acetyl aspartate, which they noted earlier was a marker of neuronal viability and the DLPFC is the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex - it was found to be higher in the ME/CFS group. I guess the fact that they didn't find differences in the metabolites they looked for is useful information. Table 2 gives results for 10 metabolites in each of the three brain regions. And yes, of the 30 comparisons, the NAA in the DLPFC is the only one remotely significant.

Googling about NAA, it does seem to be recognised a measure of neuronal health and function, and is correlated with common measures of cognitive intelligence (higher levels = higher cognitive intelligence). The DLPFC is involved in complex thinking, abstract reasoning, executive function. So, what could be happening here is that we are just seeing a sampling bias. The type of people who are more likely to sign up to a patient registry and participate in research are more likely to be of above average intelligence. The difference with the small healthy control cohort wasn't huge and there were overlaps, but may reflect differences in selection, and so mean intelligence.

The researchers correlated findings with all sorts of measures. There did seem be some correlation between measures of symptoms e.g. fatigue and NAA, but that might just be the result of an even stronger selection bias for cognitive intelligence in people with worse fatigue. That seems possible: people who understand the importance of research are likely to be more motivated to participate. (Actually, looking at the charts, the correlation is mostly the result of the healthy controls tending to have lower NAA and lower symptom burden.)

So, I'm not really seeing any finding here that can't be explained by a participant selection bias. If there really was a difference in average cognitive abilities in the two groups, then it does create problems for comparisons with fMRI cognitive investigations such as the n-back studies.

The authors don't seem to have considered this obvious possible explanation (that their patient sample had better mean inherent cognitive capacity and therefore neuronal integrity than the controls), instead offering a vague hand-wavy "it is likely that the NAA level may represent a potentially negative downstream effect of ME/CFS patholophysiology".

They go on to note that another small study actually found lower levels of NAA in the CFS cohort, but in a different brain region, while another study found a high NAA level in yet another brain region.
    So, of the 'group differences in metabolites' in the three parts of the brain that were examined, I don't think there is really any difference that we can point to and say 'this is implicated in ME/CFS pathology'. I guess more studies with bigger and better matched cohorts might be useful, especially if other parts of the brain were examined.

RedFox, alktipping, duncan and 5 others like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

Yes for the first part, I'm not sure for the second. I've always thought of it in terms of a marker for neuronal health (so reduced = bad, apart from Canavan), but that there would be a ceiling on its role in better than normal functioning. I guess it depends on how much intelligence is dependent on multiple individual neuronal function/efficiency vs the size/complexity of the network of neuronal connections*.

Moderate relationships between NAA and cognitive ability in healthy adults: implications for cognitive spectroscopy (2014, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience) —

---
    * Are Bigger Brains Smarter? Evidence From a Large-Scale Preregistered Study (2018, Psychological Science)

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that paper:
    was the one I was looking at too. And they did find a relationship between the cerebral NAA and cognitive abilities, as the title suggests. With respect to actual measured IQ, the abstract goes on to say:
    I haven't looked further into the paper, but it sounds as though they finessed things with respect to those 'outlying values'. And of course, IQ measurement is horribly biased and problematic. Putting measured IQ aside though, I think the core point remains - there is a likely relationship between cerebral NAA levels and cognitive ability (i.e. intelligence) in broad terms, and there is also a likely bias in the cognitive ability of participants volunteering for research studies. I think that cerebral NAA:cognitive ability relationship is particularly likely to be true when the part of the brain that is being assessed is involved in higher-level cognitive tasks. This ME/CFS study did not find differences in the NAA levels in the brain stem, which isn't known for its involvement in higher-level cognitive tasks.

Of course, it may well be just a random result, but I do think that these authors should have at least noted that the higher NAA in the DLPFC may be a result of a bias in the cognitive abilities of the participants in their sample when they were hypothesising about what the finding might mean.

I think the finding is good news for people with ME/CFS. Good levels of cerebral NAA are not suggestive of damage to the brain.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2024
  7. SNT Gatchaman

Ash, alktipping, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  8. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh thank god. And you too.