1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A person-centred test of multidimensional perfectionism and health in people with chronic fatigue syndrome versus healthy controls, 2021, Sirois et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Three Chord Monty, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't you ever tried to straighten out a bedspread, @dave30th ? First you have to pull it one way and then you have to pull it the other way and then you have to go back and pull it a bit more the first way and ....

EzzieD, Amw66, NelliePledge and 10 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"multidimensional perfectionism"

Isn't this THE plot device for all Doctor Who episodes? The Doctor travels through time and space, finds something wrong and can't leave until they have fixed it = multidimensional perfectionism.

oldtimer, Forbin, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe that multidimensional perfectionism is more perfect, or, to use the correct scientific term, "perfecter" than unidimensional perfectionism. :rolleyes:

I further believe that this study represents that level of "perfection" that Wolfgang Pauli was contemplating when he famously said, "This isn't right... It's not even wrong."

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    oldtimer, EzzieD, Perrier and 11 others like this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumable the additional dimensions are those of the BPS universe, made up entirely of unreal concepts, a sort of anti-platonic hell of non forms. For such as a circle to exist, it must be represented in the heaven of forms, so for the BPS non constructs to exist they must be represented a hell of non forms, where everything is orthogonal to the mundane reality of people with ME or indeed everyone else.

bobbler, MEMarge, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can understand to a certain extent.

I think it's possible that an awful lot could be learned about how humans can adapt to uncertainty and loss. Plus different types of loss - financial, sense of identity, control, role in the family etc. What hope can do and.how false hope can harm, etc.

I think the mistake they are making is in assuming that those who appear to be healthy are mentally robust. Now, many of them will be but unless and until they are tested we don't know.

MEMarge, shak8, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

You're right @Invisible Woman, I worded that badly. I intended to raise the problem of attributing the psychological factor specifically to ME/CFS, as if there's something about pwME that singles us out from other sufferers of chronic disabling illness for particular censure for being less than perfect psychologically in their judgement.

Edit: Just realised what I've done there. We're less that perfect perfectionists. No wonder they need to go to extra dimensions to study us.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    MEMarge, shak8, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I could be seen as perfectionist. I like my house to be tidy and my drawers are very neat, But this is because of my ME. I get bouts of blindness so the floor needs to be clear and everything in it's place so I can get about without injury. My drawers are tidy because it takes much less energy to find underwear if you just have to reach out without rummaging through a pile.

Basically, I have to be perfectionist so I minimise the energy I need so I can be more normal. It is only when something goes wrong that I find out how disabled I actually am.

EzzieD, MEMarge, Perrier and 7 others like this.
  8. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope you will be able too i think it'd be very useful.

precisely.

Laughed out loud at that, had a proper little chortle, which was sorely needed. Thank you

Anecdotally....

I am not remotely perfectionistic, but i have a dear friend who is, very much so & struggles with it - she's perfectly healthy & as strong as an ox.

EzzieD, Amw66, Missense and 6 others like this.
  9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do have perfectionist traits - this came in very handy as an engineer where you can't afford to miss something. Everything you do, you have to have a plan, preferably tried and tested, to undo and roll back.

I like my windows to sparkle and my floor to be clean.

However. There's often enough dog hair in corners and along a skirting board to knit myself a new one. The dusting is never done as soon as it's needed. I see the mess, I just accept there's not a whole lot I can do about it. I prioritise spending quality time with husband and dog over dusting.

So while I have perfectionist traits, I believe I am fairly well.adjusted to my new circumstances.

This is adaptation to maximise what you can do while minimizing the effort involved. This seems balanced to me. My house may often be dusty but, unless my beloved husband throws a spanner in the works and rearranges stuff, I like everything to have a place and be in it.

JemPD, Simbindi, Mithriel and 4 others like this.
  10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I always wanted to be a perfectionist, but I was never satisfied no matter how close I came to that goal.

11. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Reading this is a sub-optimal use of my time.

Snow Leopard, Hutan, Amw66 and 9 others like this.
  12. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been overcome by the smell of putrefaction.........:rofl::rolleyes::confused::p:laugh:

:dead: