1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A pilot study of oxidative pathways in MS fatigue: randomized trial of N‐acetyl cysteine, Krysko, 2021

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Wyva and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Campanula

Campanula Established Member (Voting Rights)

Have tried NAC for a few months now, and don't think it has much effect on my ME either. Felt something in the beginning, but it might have been placebo. Or the body simply adjusted to the supplement and it stopped working. Don't know.

Hutan, alktipping and Wyva like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a precursor to glutathione which can seemingly be low in ME/ CFS.
    It may be that the initial dosage boosted glutathione enough for body to adjust to a different state?
    Might just chase any imbalance elsewhere as a knock on from that ?

Campanula and alktipping like this.
  5. Campanula

Campanula Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I've also thought about that. There might have been an initial boost that elevated the glutathione levels, but after that it didn't do much? Or maybe the body just built up tolerance to the supplement quickly? I have experienced this with a lot of different interventions, like supplements and medications. It's like the body just adjusts to whatever you try to do to push it in the right direction.

Trish likes this.
  6. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I took NAC too for about two months for ME, my doses were based on what Nancy Klimas recommended in one of her videos. I felt nothing, so I stopped.

Campanula and Trish like this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So it was useless but well tolerated :banghead::banghead::banghead:

The positive bit is put first as usual but nothing else counts except it didn't work. Reminds me of that joke. The bad news is there is only camel dung to eat. The good news is there is plenty of it.

Possibly James May, Trish and Wyva like this.