1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open A Trial of Solriamfetol in the Treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Joel L Young, 2020

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by John Mac, Nov 9, 2020.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04622293

https://thejewishnews.com/2020/10/07/new-hope-for-chronic-fatigue-sufferers/

cfsandmore, Milo, andypants and 5 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Why would it be appropriate to treat pwME with a stimulant used to treat excessive daytime sleepiness? I see from drug information that it
    "increases systolic blood pressure, diastolic blood pressure, and heart rate in a dose dependent fashion."

I suspect the outcome will be a false feeling of more energy followed by a crash.

cfsandmore, Samuel, JemPD and 20 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Self reported outcome measures.

IOM selection criteria.

Solriamfetol is a norepinephrine–dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI).
    It's an amphetamine derivative, so I don't hold out much hope.

cfsandmore, Tia, TigerLilea and 10 others like this.
  4. Trish

From the website linked in the first post:

The case of 'Jane' described in the article sounds like someone with depression, possibly not ME.

5. Trish

6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The term CFS will continue to haunt us forever when it comes to these studies. I'm pretty sure this medication will keep us up all night :emoji_rolling_eyes:

7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I prefer medical researchers who understand the difference between somnolence and fatigue, let alone that fatigue is an invalid definition of ME.

Now if only the differences had not been purposely distorted to the point where most medical professionals seemingly swing back and forth between understanding or not understanding the differences depending entirely on context and biases like it's a damn belief system. If only.

9. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is exactly my experience with 5 mg of dexamphetamine (family member's ADD medication) taken quite often over ten years or so. The alternative medicine doctor I was seeing in the 1990s would have been happy to prescribe it too.

I was able to get long periods of physically demanding outdoor work done with no effort, but of course paid for it afterwards. Another downside was that I ignored joint and muscle pain and ended up with injuries.

The last time I took it the immediate effect was the exact opposite: severe lack of energy and spaced-out feeling. That really frightened me off it for good.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  10. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why not? I have daytime fatigue and would like to not have it.

However, I would prefer to see a trial of pitolisant (Wakix) which works by a completely different mechanism. Wakix is very expensive in the USA, but not as expensive in Europe.

In general I support all non psychological clinical trials—nothing ventured, nothing gained.