1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Adverse outcomes in trials of graded exercise therapy for adult patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, 2021, White & Etherington

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, May 31, 2021.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trial By Error: Journal Corrects “Highlights” Section of Professor White’s GETSET Follow-Up Paper

[2nd part about this thread's paper]

https://www.virology.ws/2021/06/30/...n-of-professor-whites-getset-follow-up-paper/

[...]
    "Besides the issue of the GETSET follow-up study, I have also appealed to Professor Fiedorowicz about a second paper from Professor White. This one relates to the question of possible harms from GET. In a post earlier this month, I described how this paper misrepresented the state of the science on the intervention in the first sentence of the abstract.

"After posting the blog, I sent the following letter. I have not yet received a response about this concern."
    [...]

ukxmrv, EzzieD, Sean and 5 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is that supposed to be it?
    This is the "correction"? Which they specifically framed to misleadingly suggest no harm rather than no benefit? Which is obviously not supported and is not the issue and even less of a correction?

I mean I expected nothing but still, wow. These people have truly reached fatberg level of being full of it. There is truly nothing to salvage here, it's just bad faith for bad faith's sake.

Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, the Highlights "correction" was in the GETSET paper. I included a separate item about the GET safety paper. That hasn't been corrected. I've revised the blog headline to make clear there are two separate items there.

EzzieD, Midnattsol, Sean and 2 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, makes more sense. There are so many corrections to be made it's hard to follow.

MSEsperanza, EzzieD, dave30th and 2 others like this.
  5. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"probably" ?

This seems like another backtrack in line with the current trend. Previously they have always asserted it is safe if properly administered.

Louie41, Mithriel, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And I had complained to the journal couple months ago about this sentence: "Graded exercise therapy (GET) is an effective treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), but concerns have been raised about its safety."

it is completely unacceptable to assert as fact a point--"GET is effective"--which is the subject of international controversy and debate. Whatever Professor White might prefer, this is NOT an accurate reflection of the state of play. GET's effectiveness is contested, and any paper that does not acknowledge that had no business passing peer review and being published. Authors are expected to be honest in their literature reviews and in how they present the context for their research.

Louie41, Joel, Mithriel and 13 others like this.
  8. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Its also a big leap to suggest that if GET were to be safe in a trial then it would be safe in clinics - the training and supervision will be very different especially with widespread role out.

9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How many people would get onboard an airplane after the pilot announces "It is my opinion that this plane is probably safe" ?

Louie41, Sean, Barry and 6 others like this.
  11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That looks like a masterpiece of drafting. It does not specify the way in which it is effective. It leaves open the possibility that boosting profits of Swiss Re might be an area of efficacy.

Louie41, rvallee, Sean and 11 others like this.
  12. daftasabrush

daftasabrush Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What's the conflict of interest statement
    What's the conflict of interest statement say on this?

I notice second author affiliation is non-academic and profit motivated...

J. Etherington b
    b
    Pure Sports Medicine, 12 Finsbury Square, London, UK

I see John Etherington is already advertising COVID-19 rehab and already has a CBE

Former role- NHS England as National Clinical Director for Rehabilitation

plus current president of Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine... who are a NICE ME/CFS stakeholder and a COVID-19 rehabilitation stakeholder.

https://puresportsmed.com/team/dr-john-etherington-cbe
    https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid-ng10091/documents/stakeholder-list
    https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng188/documents/stakeholder-list

Also interested by the lack of fellow academics publishing with White... he normally has a bunch of BPS followers as co-authors.

Wyva, Peter Trewhitt and Louie41 like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

didn't know where to post this.

The Listening Place is a volunteer based service: it has been set up with a wide range of on-going professional support and advice.

it appears to be a service for people with suicidal thoughts.

I'm not knocking the organisation but find it a bit perverse that Peter Denton White is on their advisory team.
    https://listeningplace.org.uk/our-advisory-team/

Barry, Peter Trewhitt and Dolphin like this.