1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMA Journal of Ethics: What to do when symptoms are difficult to see or measure

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Wyva, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Physicians depend on the measurability and empirical verifiability of symptoms. Still, some symptoms defy observation and measurement, which can cause patients with a wide variety of conditions—including chronic fatigue syndrome, endometriosis, fibromyalgia, many psychiatric illnesses, multiple sclerosis and post-concussive syndrome—to suffer disadvantage and injustice if their physicians don’t take their reported symptoms seriously.

The July issue of AMA Journal of Ethics® (@JournalofEthics) investigates the ethical, clinical and social stakes of failing to view patients as authorities about their bodies and illness experiences. It also offers CME credit.​

I'm not sure how much this is ME/CFS specific (maybe not so much) but there are a couple of articles and podcasts listed:

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/ethics/what-do-when-symptoms-are-difficult-see-or-measure

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You just work at it. Not working at it lead us here. Had people worked at it it would have been solved. It's how everything works, you want results? You have to work for it.

Invisible Woman, obeat and alktipping like this.