Ampligen in Phase 2 Clinical Study for the Treatment of Post-COVID Conditions

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, May 3, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty and Ash like this.
  2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Results for the long Covid trial expected by next March. Everyone recruited and getting the medicine. Excellent.

MEMarge, Ash, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, RedFox and Kitty like this.
  4. RedFox

Wow, the CEO of AIM Immunotech takes LC and ME/CFS very seriously. They're clearly devoted to testing Ampligen in LC because they see it as a major potential market.

Dolphin and MEMarge like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm still baffled that pharmaceutical companies don't see it: chronic illness is a gold mine. It's the rarest combination of issues where you can provide a complete cure for something, and keep selling it anyway. Because it keeps getting created all the time. You could cure everyone with a chronic illness today and a year from now there will be millions. As long as common infections are a part of normal life, there will always be people with this type of illness.

Even if someone is "only" ill for 3 months, it's worth it to them. Hell, it's worth it for 3 days, this is why cold/flu medication are such a big market. No one likes being ill, contrary to the absurd belief system in medicine. People will pay significant sums to simply cut the illness short, and no one knows if they're in it for a few days, weeks, or years. And medicine sure doesn't know any better about it. If the treatments are afforable, everyone would buy them. Always. Every time.

It's a far better market than antidepressant and the like, since you don't even have to get people to keep using the drugs. There are constantly new people falling ill, it just never ends. It will probably never end, not until we reach the stage where immune systems can be complemented with advanced technology, and by then we'd be so technologically advanced that most current drugs and treatments will be obsolete anyway.

V.R.T. and RedFox like this.
  6. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox and Dolphin like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think the bit about not knowing whether he had ampligen or placebo rather defeats the purpose of making any social media report on effectiveness. We'll have to wait until the data is unblinded and the results are published.

RedFox, EndME and Dolphin like this.
  8. Jaybee00

Mostly agree, yes, but read the thread—he addresses this.

9. V.R.T.

V.R.T. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can anyone quote this thread for those of us not on the dreaded X/twitter

10. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the full thread https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1722994818626781459.html.

I have to agree with @Trish or at least I don't understand the reasoning why patients often communicate about trial results in placebo-controlled trials. What exactly is the point if the chances are far larger that it isn't the drug that's doing anything (50% chance of getting the placebo, plus x% chance of the drug not working even when you get it)? I often see patients discussing quite intricate details of different trials online (which isn't the case here), but I wouldn't be suprised if others have discussed these "distinct side effects" online which he mentions. In that case I see a potential risk of social media reports damaging the blinding. Of course reporting on current ongoing trials can be vital for different advocacies and it's lovely to get updates on how far along some trials are, but I don't really know how that would be the case here. For me the very small risks of possibly "unblinding" something usually outweigh the benefits.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
    RedFox, V.R.T. and Jaybee00 like this.
  11. RedFox

The part I care about is when it'll be published. He says it might come out in Q4 2024. Which is a long way away.

Trish likes this.
  12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

AIM ImmunoTech Completes Treatment of Last Subject in Phase 2 Study Evaluating Ampligen® for the Treatment of Post-COVID Conditions

OCALA, Fla., Nov. 21, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) --
    AIM ImmunoTech Inc. (NYSE American: AIM) (“AIM” or the “Company”) today announced the last subject has completed treatment in the Company’s Phase 2 study evaluating Ampligen® as a potential therapeutic for people with the Post-COVID condition of fatigue (“AMP-518”).

AIM Chief Executive Officer Thomas K. Equels commented, “With dosing now complete, our AMP-518 focus turns to the next milestone of being able to report topline study data as soon as it is available. We continue to believe in the potential of Ampligen to provide a much-needed therapeutic option to treat Long COVID with chronic fatigue-like symptoms. Post-COVID conditions have emerged as a serious public health threat and a clear public need.”

https://www.biospace.com/article/re...n-for-the-treatment-of-post-covid-conditions/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2023
    RedFox and John Mac like this.
  13. Jaybee00

Dolphin and Trish like this.