Andy's attempt to create a reasonable descriptive model of ME.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Aug 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

A few further thoughts.

A danger of this being seen as confirmation of the so called 'push-crash cycle' so many people with ME object to, and which hasn't been shown in evidence.

A danger of oversimplification ending up misleading rather than helping.

Is the person in your mild or moderate model taking sensible rest periods between activity, in order to prevent PEM, or is your model illustrating overactivity followed by PEM? I think those are two different things.

alktipping, Simbindi, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No problems, again it's probably a sign that I didn't word things as clearly as I might have done.

For post duplication, it'll be easiest for the mods if you report the post that is the start of what you want and explain what you want.

alktipping and MEMarge like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ok.

I was thinking of a thread that starts with post number 8 (your text) and includes the other posts until post 19 (which is where you suggest creating another thread). The title could be something like: "working out descriptions of PEM." Perhaps you, Andy could then indicate which posts you would like to keep on this discussion. Feel free to delete any of mine if you think they are derailing the discussion.

Thanks for your work on this.

alktipping, MeSci and Annamaria like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a ll a very very good idea @Andy :) nice one

Actually I think it would be good to see, especially when held up against the other 2 (mild & moderate)

yes I have to agree 'over exerting' to 75%... 75%?! golly I don't know anyone who's moderate who could exert to 75% of 'normal/healthy' even once, never mind 2 days in a row.

I think all the SLEs & over exertion points are significantly too high.
    I realise this point feeds into some differences of opinion in terms of what constitutes 'mild/mod/severe' but again I never heard of anyone mild who went to work full time & then only reduced their activities down to 75% at the weekend & avoided PEM, from what I've read most mild people spend their wk ends flat out on the sofa or bed if they work full time. Perhaps i'm wrong about that. But it would seem that the graph would be more accurate with the milds reducing down to 60 or even 50% at the wk ends, & the moderate 'overexertion' point showing at 60%.

Again only my pov …. maybe others will disagree.

Yes.... very important that the SLE moves down commensurately after the over exertion. And as the SLE moves downwards the sensitivity to things like sensory input goes up.
    iyam this is part of why this condition is so hard for non sufferers to grasp.

alktipping, MeSci, Simbindi and 7 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To my completely non-medical but engineering oriented brain, the common factor is energy draw - they all require energy. Physical exertion may be the obvious one, but processing sensory inputs does not happen by magic, every form of processing has to consume energy, physical, cognitive, signal processing, whatever.

alktipping, MeSci, BruceInOz and 15 others like this.
  6. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is PEM like DOMS? I'm not sure it is. One is the usual, expected soreness after exertion. Comparing the two might unintentionally mean lots of athletes think they have ME.

alktipping, MEMarge, Ravn and 10 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Well, to start, I say
    So, for me, the elements that are shared are
    1. delayed onset, both can occur hours or even days after exertion.
    2. trigger, both are triggered by exertion.
    3. some similar symptoms i.e. pain and soreness.

but I am not claiming that they are the same thing. You say that DOMS is the usual, expected soreness after exertion. Is it not reasonable to say that, for pwME, PEM is the usual, expected soreness, pain and exacerbation of other symptoms after exertion?

And as to swelling the ranks of pwME with "lots of athletes"? Sorry, I don't believe that this is a valid concern, given the additional criteria required for an ME diagnosis.

alktipping, Simbindi, Sarah94 and 3 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

In my proposed model, or in the graphs I've used, or the descriptions of patients?

Well, currently many researchers, even ones who we rate the work of, still state in their papers that the primary issue for ME patients is unexplained fatigue that has lasted 6 months or more, so I'd like to suggest that my model is not an oversimplification compared to that, and helps by refocusing onto SEL/PEM. It is not my intention to deny any other symptom that anybody has but I'm focusing on SEL/PEM as it seems to be the central issue for the vast majority of patients.

My intention with the descriptions of the patients with mild and moderate ME is to demonstrate potentially what an individual might be able to do, given the restrictions placed on them by ME.

For the mild person, I say
    and for the moderate person, I say
    Additional description can definitely be added, and perhaps even additional graphs, to illustrate what is sustainable for patients, which is what I have attempted to do already, and what isn't.

alktipping, Simbindi, Ravn and 2 others like this.
  9. adambeyoncelowe

My point was more that this downplays what PEM is. Everyone can get DOMS. Not everyone gets PEM. There are already lots of tired people who say they think they have ME because they work shifts or whatever. If PEM was likened to DOMS, then I could see people who overtrain and have poor sleep patterns thinking they have ME.

If I were to compare the two, I'd say something like 'PEM is more than DOMS because...' and explain the differences, I think.

This is all my opinion, of course.

alktipping, MeSci, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  10. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Struggling to get my brain around this thread, each time I try to form a comment my thoughts fall apart.

However, I do think this is important, that we have a strong language to delimit the patient experience and a clear formulation of the concepts we see as most important.

Thank you to all who are contributing.

Marky, alktipping, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  11. Trish

Before I say anything else, I just want to say it's a really good idea. Any suggestions or criticisms I make are aimed at offering help with making it even better. I really like your starting point of SEL and the idea of using graphs. I just think they could do with some tweaking to make it even better.

I meant the graphs, but I think this can be overcome with tweaks.

If you are going to present this to scientists, I think you need to be extra careful not to including anything that is scientifically inaccurate. I have just checked my old friend Wikipedia on basal metabolic rates, and this is relevant I think:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate#BMR_estimation_formulas
    This makes your assumed 30% figure unhelpful, and may lead them to discard the good parts of the model.

How about setting basal metabolism (edit: and thermogenesis and digestion) at zero on your scale, so you can use the whole 100% for activity. And most definitions that I've seen say to be diagnosed as ME, activity is reduced by at least 50% I think.

Perhaps for each severity level, you could do two groups of graphs.
    So for mild, with SEL set at 50%, you might show this:

1. Sustainable without PEM:
    a) staying below the SEL. (steady on 40%)
    b) exceeding the SEL a bit for a few days, and dropping below to recover for a few days after. (60% a few days then 20% a few days)
    c) exceeding the SEL by more, but for much shorter time, and dropping below for recovery. (70% short part of one day, then 20% a few days).

2. Setting off PEM / crash.
    a) a bit above SEL for too long, followed by a big drop into PEM lasting days or weeks. (60% for a week, dropping to 5% for a week or more)
    b) a lot above SEL for a shorter time, followed by a big drop into PEM lasting days or weeks. (80% for part of a day, followed by 5% for a week or more)

Then you could repeat the same shape of graph but with the SEL set at different levels for each severity level.
    For example 50% for mild, 25% for moderate, 10% for severe, and 0% for very severe.

Or this may not be what you want. Just a suggestion. Sorry I don't know how to produce graphs to show you what I mean.

alktipping, Simbindi, Sarah94 and 7 others like this.
  12. adambeyoncelowe

I too like SEL and want to add my own caveat. My suggestions are merely to help get this right. It's going to be hard to please everybody, though, because it will be difficult to describe PEM, or any of the symptoms really, in such a way as to include everyone all the time. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try, though.

alktipping, Simbindi, Ravn and 7 others like this.
  13. Bill

Bill Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Andy, without having read follow-up posts, I think you are off to a generally excellent start.

I do think that PEM should be defined when it is first mentioned (to help a general audience).

The one statement that was a clunker for me was: This suggests that the mechanism in the body that, in healthy people, leads to increased fitness is, in some way, broken in ME patients.

I understand what you are trying to say here, but the fact that increased activity and exercise generally makes a person in the healthy population feel better (both physically and mentally/emotionally) where exertion typically has the opposite effect in people with ME/CFS is a critical thing for people in the general population to understand. I think this point could be improved.

Quibble aside, good job!

Bill

alktipping, Simbindi, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

About 70% of a human's total energy expenditure is due to the basal life processes taking place in the organs of the body (see table). About 20% of one's energy expenditure comes from physical activity and another 10% from thermogenesis, or digestion of food (postprandial thermogenesis).

I think Andy's proposal may not be too far off. The 70% figure is presumably typical of a normal lazy human. But Andy's SEL is,I think, the limit of what one can sustain. For Ranulph Fiennes in Antarctica this was 8000 calories a day. I suspect for an average adult it might be 4000-5000. I think the basal metabolic rate during sleep is about 60 Kcal/hr and the minimum during waking 90. That adds up to about 2000. Put another way a fit adult can use twice as much as their BMR and sustain it if they have to. Trebling it might be tough but my impression was that Andy was just choosing some illustrative figures. That would not worry me.

Marky, alktipping, Simbindi and 4 others like this.
  15. Trish

Hmm. Not at all sure about this.

If, by definition, pwME have to cut our normal activity by half, that suggests the SEL in ME is a long way below the healthy SEL, since 'normal activity' is well below SEL for most of us when we are healthy.

To use some crude figures, you are suggesting:
    SEL for healthy adult males might be 5000 calories (3000 activity plus 2000 basal)
    But the recommended daily intake for average males in the UK is 2500 calories (500 activity, 2000 basal).

The definition of ME requires having to drop to less than half of 'normal' activity', not half of SEL. So that would suggest, if your basal figure is right, dropping the ME SEL to 2250 calories.

That makes Andy's scale of ME SEL at 90% of healthy SEL way off the mark.

I think the best solution to this may be not to put any numbers on the vertical scale, and make it clear it's not a linear scale, it's the crossing the SEL line that is the key point, not absolute or relative figures. Andy says himself he wants to provide a 'descriptive model', not a scale model.

16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree, but it was you that was grumbling about the numbers not being precise!

I don't think the recommended intake for average males comes in to the equation if the level in question is sustainable limit. I agree that for PWME sustainable limit would seem to be way below that of normal.

I guess this one reason why I find a metabolic explanation implausible. If a metabolic capacity is reduced by more than half it should have been reasonably easy to identify in physiological studies.

Marky, alktipping, andypants and 5 others like this.
  17. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sustainable Exertion Limit (SEL) - I like it!

The word exertion may need some definition though. Healthy people tend to interpret exertion as being the same as physical exercise such as jogging. Whereas we think of it more as any energy-demanding process (physical or cognitive activity, infection, sensory processing, etc.).

Thought experiment - an attempt at combining:
    • @Andy's model
    • the observation by several others in this thread that SEL is not fixed
    • the observation that sometimes some level of overexertion is temporarily possible
    • the observation that sometimes, after a major crash, our functioning is permanently reduced
    I propose that there are THREE thresholds:

1) a SEL threshold - exceeding this does not cause PEM but it lowers all thresholds

2) a fully symptomatic PEM threshold (fsPEM), higher than SEL - exceeding this does cause PEM and lowers all thresholds

3) a critical point threshold (CP), higher than fsPEM - exceeding this does cause PEM and lowers all thresholds and permanently lowers 'baseline'

Example (the numbers are just for illustration, they don't correspond to any specific severity; the word recover in the example means recover to pre-PEM state, not to healthy):

Starting SEL=40 & fsPEM=60 & CP=90 ---> PwME exerts at 50. This doesn't cause PEM but it lowers SEL & fsPEM.

New SEL=33 & fsPEM=53 & CP=83 ---> PwME exerts at 50 again. This still doesn't cause PEM but it lowers SEL and PEM further.

New(2) SEL=26 & fsPEM=46 & CP=76 ---> PwME exerts at 50 again. This now causes PEM because it exceeds the new(2) fsPEM=46.

PwME's reaction to PEM, option 1:

PwME reduces exertion to 30, thinking that is safe because starting SEL was 40. But because 30 is higher than the current SEL (26) the PwME remains in PEM (for recovery from PEM exertion needs to be below SEL, not just below fsPEM). Thresholds lower further.
    New SEL=19 & fsPEM=39 & CP=69 --> The downhill trend continues.

OR

PwME's reaction to PEM, option 2:

PwME reduces exertion to 20. This is lower than current SEL (26) so PwME begins to recover. Thresholds begin to rise again (but only after several days because PEM, once started, doesn't go away overnight).

Other scenarios:

Starting SEL=40 & fsPEM=60 & CP=90 ---> PwME exerts at 70. Leads to immediate PEM. Eventual recovery to Starting SEL=40.

OR

Starting SEL=40 & fsPEM=60 & CP=90 ---> PwME exerts at 100. Leads to immediate PEM. Eventual recovery only to Below Starting SEL=35.

Severity in this model could be varied by higher or lower starting thresholds as well as by the magnitude/speed by which thresholds go down after overexertion, or recover after rest.

NB: The graphic doesn't follow the above scenarios exactly but tries to combine the various options. A bit messy, I admit, but haven't got the energy to try again right now.
    PEM graph.JPG

18. Trish

I disagree. My point was that an average healthy person has a SEL way above their actual activity level, so has loads of capacity for exceeding their normal level of activity without coming to harm. Whereas a person with ME, by dropping their activity capacity (the bit above the basal stuff) to half of a healthy person's normal activity level, leads to a massive drop in SEL, with the activity part becoming a very narrow range above basal, with very little leeway.

I wish I knew how to draw graphs so I could illustrate what I mean.

19. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If most of the body's energy production goes toward merely sustaining itself, then even a small decrease in ability to produce energy would mean a large drop in ability to function in daily life.

If for example 70% goes toward sustaining itself, and 30% towards daily activities, then even a 10% drop in total energy production would mean that only 20% can go towards daily activities. 20% instead of 30% should be quite noticable for the patient. In a study however that 10% could look like an insignificant change.

Hutan, Ravn, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. This is the notion that has been discussed in another thread recently, with analogy to "disposable income". When you have very little to spare you only need quite small changes in the absolute values to have a dramatic effect on the margin left over - potentially going negative.

Ravn, alktipping, Hoopoe and 6 others like this.