Anomalies in the review process and interpretation of the evidence in the NICE guideline for (CFS & ME), 2023, White et al

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Three Chord Monty, Jul 11, 2023.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They make no mention that the whiners are the same people whose work has been rated as awful, which is completely unserious. This is extremely relevant, they have huge biases and conflicts of interest listed right below their commentary. And massively distort what happened. They make it seem as if all NICE did is look at some anecdotes and recommended a "treatment", which pacing isn't, based on nothing.

Yellow journalism, basically propaganda. In academia. Absurd. Completely absurd lack of integrity. This system is broken beyond repair.

2. rvallee

3. rvallee

Sealioning. Plenty has been written already. This is not sincere. Or at least it doesn't seem to be at all.

4. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

"Read the paper", where have we heard that before?

5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I post this on behalf of @MSEsperanza, who is currently unable to post:

In reply to others' questions about the definition of GET.

Not sure about the exact wording, but could it be helpful to check the
    videos accompanying the PACE trial report in The Lancet?

Only remember vaguely but maybe the principal investigators very clearly
    stated there that patients need to be persuaded that they have to
    increase there physical activity to get better no matter how they feel
    -- because the evidence allegedly says that GET is utterly safe?

Sorry not able to check /post myself, but here are the links to the 3
    videos and audios (not sure but think audios have other/ additional
    content to the videos)

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(11)60096-2/fulltext#relVideo

Youtube links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfHNQZPPB6k

(Chalder)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYRjB_t8dYs

(Sharpe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR16NQhHdik

( Lancet TV reports from the press
    conference )

And there's also the 'screenplay' with Dr. Clare Gerada (Simon Wessely's
    wife) in the role of the omniscient GP and someone playing the role of a
    patient with CFS that also could be helpful with regard what GET
    proponents actually said --

@adambrokenbattery

@Dolphin

@Joan Crawford

@Adam pwme

6. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is the clip of Clare Gerada saying

"If you feel rotten I still want you to do that activity... Even if you feel absolutely exhausted. I still want you to do your 10 minute walk in the morning and a 10 minute walk in the evening... It will be safe, all of the evidence that we've put together and all the research literature shows it's absolutely safe. You will not do yourself any harm."

https://twitter.com/user/status/1253599417564835842

7. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And Sharpe saying they are safe after the follow up paper.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1534559247178113026

8. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure both Wyller and Flottorp also have said it will do no harm to exercise and that there is nothing wrong with patients.

9. Lidia Thompson

Lidia Thompson Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is one comment from a GP (I think) under this article:

"David Jarvis 13 July, 2023 3:07 pm
    Any guideline with ME in the title is going straight in the bin anyway for lack of rigour in using a pseudoscience sounding made up name. With no proven, as yet, pathological process it is by definition a syndrome."

Is he right? Or are there other known diseases that would be in a similar boat regarding strength of pathological evidence/process?

I would be interested to hear your views.

I know a few GP's socially and I often see them wince when I use the word, 'disease'. I always assumed that they don't realise how many ME/CFS studies there now are.
    OR, am I wrong to describe ME/CFS as a disease? Are we not there yet regarding strength of evidence?

10. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's strange that Lancet TV never took off...

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He has a fair point. There are a lot of very dubious names for medical conditions that continue simply out of convenience. But myalgic encephalomyelitis is to an extent in a league of its own for being dubious. It implies that there is brain inflammation when we can be pretty sure there isn't in any normal sense of the term. If it were not for the fact that the alternative name, CFS, has been so much associated with bad medicine I would strongly recommend that ME is replaced by something more appropriate. So I very much sympathise, and technically I think the GP is quite right, but life is more complicated.

I don't think ME/CFS warrants being called a disease. The term 'a disease' (with the article a) normally implies a process known to be due to some common cause, even if the cause is not fully understood. Tuberculosis is a disease. Skin melanoma is probably a disease. Lung silicosis is a disease. Rheumatoid arthritis is probably not a disease but might be allowed to be. ME/CFS doesn't get near to qualifying yet. It is genuinely a syndrome, as the GP said. I don't think SEID is a very good term, for that reason.

MSEsperanza, Sid, hinterland and 11 others like this.
  12. Lidia Thompson

I appreciate you taking the time to clarify this. Thank you.

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm perfectly happy to accept that ME is the wrong name, and that it's a syndrome.

I would also bin the name CFS as it leads to so much misunderstanding both from our doctors and as an enabler for all the BPS research.

What I can't accept is doctors deciding that just because what we suffer from is stuck with inappropriate names, the guideline must be wrong and we don't deserve medical care.

14. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Supplementary Table 3: Other trials of graded exercise therapy
    Trial Description of GET incremental approach

Wearden 1998 “Exercise intensity was increased when there was a consistent recorded reduction
    of 10 beats per minute in post-exercise heart rate for one week and two points on
    the perceived exertion scale...”

Powell 2001 “A graded exercise programme was designed in collaboration with each patient
    and tailored to his or her functional abilities.”

Moss-Morris
    “Exercise goals were set collaboratively between the researcher and participant.
    Initial exercise intensity and duration were set at a level that had been identified
    during exercise testing as achievable and unlikely to exacerbate symptoms in the
    patient.”

Wearden 2010 “The manual was reviewed, patient priorities were determined, and goals for
    rehabilitation set collaboratively by the patient and therapist. Care was taken to set
    goals at a level easily manageable by the patient.”

Wallman 2004 “Subjects were instructed to exercise every second day, unless they had a relapse.
    If this occurred, or if symptoms became worse, the next exercise session was
    shortened or cancelled. Subsequent exercise sessions were reduced to a length
    that the subject felt was manageable.”

Jason 2007 “The aim was for behavioral homework to reinforce gradual, consistent increases in
    selected physical activity and discourage rapid fluctuations in activity. Preliminary
    targets were set at a safe, achievable level to maximize the likelihood of success. …
    As an example of stretching and strengthening, the participant would start with
    one set of four repetitions for each exercise. If the patient was successful with this
    assignment and felt no physical repercussions or delayed recovery response, they
    would then be encouraged to gradually progress until there was one set of eight

BMJ Publishing Group Limited (BMJ) disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance

Supplemental material placed on this supplemental material which has been supplied by the author(s) J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry

doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2022-330463–8.:102023;J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, et al.White P

 Quotes taken from published trials, not manuals

References:
    Wearden AJ, Morriss RK, Mullis R, et al. Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled treatment
    trial of fluoxetine and graded exercise for chronic fatigue syndrome. Br J Psychiatry 1998;178:485–
    492. https://doi.org/1..1192/bjp.172.6.485
    Powell P, Bentall RP, Nye FJ, Edwards RH. Randomised controlled trial of patient education to
    encourage graded exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome. BMJ 2..1;322:387–39..
    https://doi.org/1..1136/bmj.322.7283.387
    Moss-Morriss R, Sharon C, Tobin R, Baldi JC. A randomized controlled graded exercise trial for chronic
    fatigue syndrome: outcomes and mechanisms of change. J Health Psychol 2..5;1.:245–259.
    https://doi.org/1..1177/13591.53.5.49774
    Wearden AJ, Dowrick C, Chew-Graham C et al. Nurse led, home based self help treatment for
    patients in primary care with chronic fatigue syndrome: randomised controlled trial, BMJ
    2.1.;34.:1–12. https://doi.org/1..1136/bmj.c1777
    Wallman KE, Morton AR, Goodman C, Grove R, Guilfoyle AM. Randomised controlled trial of graded
    exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome. Med J Australia 2..4;18.:444–448.
    https://doi.org/1..5694/j.1326-5377.2..4.tb.6.19.x
    Jason L, Torres-Harding S, Friedberg F et al. Non-pharmacologic interventions for CFS: a randomized
    trial. J Clin Psychol Med Settings 2..7;172:485–49.. https://doi.org/1..1..7/s1.88.-..7-9.9.-7
    Windthorst P, Mazurak N, Kuske M, et al, Heart rate variability biofeedback therapy and graded
    exercise training in management of chronic fatigue syndrome: an exploratory pilot study. J
    Psychosom Res 2.17; 93:6–13. https://doi.org/1..1.16/j.jpsychores.2.16.11..14
    repetitions was reached.”
    Windthorst 2017 “The duration and exercise intensity were set at a level previously identified as
    achievable under spirometry testing and unlikely to exacerbate the patients'
    symptoms. … Patients were encouraged to reduce resting and avoiding behaviour
    but simultaneously to watch carefully for symptoms and feelings of overload.”BMJ Publishing Group Limited (BMJ) disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance
    Supplemental material placed on this supplemental material which has been supplied by the author(s) J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry
    doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2022-330463–8.:102023;J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, et al.White P

15. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Couldn’t agree more. From his comments David Jarvis sounds like the sort of doctor that try to ensure I never see a second time if I ever have the misfortune of encountering them.

In response to the question above there is an S4ME thread called Can we call ME/CFS a disease?

16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s should be fairly self-evident that a document which just had ME in the title would have even more doctors reacting like this. Some “ME only” advocates either don’t seem to recognise this or at least don’t mention it when discussing the pros and cons of using ME/CFS vs ME in educational material for doctors.

Put another way, I don’t use ME/CFS because I like the name CFS.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  17. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone have a link to the PACE manual for therapists (GET) that actually works, i had 2 links but they dont work anymore (inc the one on MEPedia)

DokaGirl, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  18. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Lidia Thompson

Wow. This is a really good read. Thanks Robert.

Although the thread does not come to a firm conclusion, I do feel better informed having read it :)