Anomalies in the review process and interpretation of the evidence in the NICE guideline for (CFS & ME), 2023, White et al

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Three Chord Monty, Jul 11, 2023.

1. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow great spot :thumbup:

bobbler, sebaaa, dave30th and 10 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That must be Professor Andrew Lloyd. That list of conflicts is woefully inadequate. He runs a clinic that treats people with CFS using CBT and GET:

https://www.unsw.edu.au/staff/andrew-lloyd
    He was a co-author of an incredibly poorly done (NHMRC funded) paper re-analysing the Dubbo study data. The Dubbo study originally reported that there were no psychological characteristics that predicted who developed post-viral fatigue syndrome. The later paper made claims about psychological flaws that were unsupported by the data.
    Contribution of individual psychological and psychosocial factors, Dubbo Infection Outcomes Study, 2019, Cvejic, Hickie et al

He is currently on the panel allocating AUD50 million to Long Covid research.

I was going to add links to discussions of Lloyd on the forum, but the search list runs to 7 pages.

His reputation is absolutely and utterly tied to the PACE trial standing.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    Michelle, bobbler, ukxmrv and 13 others like this.
  3. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Staggering is the right word.

I don’t even know where to start as someone who has had (and has ongoing) dealings with an insurer, no doubt influenced by some of these individuals..

I won and they are paying, but not before I was subjected to what my wife described as the worst day of her life, seeing me breaking down multiple times in an assessment that took several weeks to recover from. I try to be rational, but put simply, I loathe these people.

ETA; it’s apparent that so many people with ME have horror stories to tell, whether it be at the hands of insurers, DWP, doctors/GPs, OTs, OHPs or a range of HCPs. It shouldn’t be this way, but so many HCPs have been influenced by these people, who continue to try to put us down and their views/approaches to pwME are wrong as a result of the power they exert. It has to end.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

or that he and Chalder came up with the whole CBT/GET 'therapy' based on the theory of ME/CFS being deconditioning from fear of exercise and false beliefs of an underlying biological illness, making 'ideopathic fatigue' the primary symptom.
    This underpins nearly all their subsequent research for other conditions that always cites their previous research on cfs, being their prime example of 'fatigue'.
    The Chalder Fatigue questionnaire is another questionable piece of research that has mainstream implications if any doubt of its accuracy is raised.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    Amw66, bobbler, JoanneS and 11 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

a question maybe journalists might like to ask.........when was the last time any of these experts attended a conference on ME or CFS? (ones on PPS/ MUS or presentations to insurance companies don't count).

alktipping, Lou B Lou, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen that Hans Knoop will be at a German conference on Long Covid that otherwise has legit experts. Not sure what he is doing there but it's very exceptional for any of them to step out of their bubble.

7. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peer-reviewer?

Michelle, bobbler, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  8. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moss-Morris also missing from the list, but a paper of hers referenced as evidence for the "negotiating" bit:

Supplementary Table 3: Other trials of graded exercise therapy

And Vogt fromm Recovery Norway -- I think hasn't shown up recently in any MUS/ LC/ ME related context?

Michelle, bobbler, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  9. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Vogt and Landmark made an appearance in Sweden recently, in an article about "cultural illness" and bps (post from the "News from Scandinavia" thread):

10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

rvallee, Wyva, Fainbrog and 6 others like this.
  11. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very disappointing that 14 days have now passed & this hasn’t been posted by the @JNNP_BMJ

Unlike another comment that was removed, this shouldn’t fall foul of any inflammatory rule (I have read it)

Readers deserve to see another opinion from the one in the commentary
    #mecfs #pwme

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  12. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, the other one shouldn’t have fallen foul either.

EzzieD, RedFox, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  13. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was only one published, I believe. I suspect there was something going on behind the scenes RE MEAction response, possibly involving the paper's authors, and they curbed publishing responses. But the other responses should now be published.

EzzieD, RedFox, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  14. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I assume someone from the Alliance will email the JNNP editorial office.

Depending on response, I wonder if it might be worth submitting to the BMJ main site in response to its report on the JNNP article. BMJ main site has always been good at posting responses which are critical of BPS views and research, and I assume it has different editors. Charles’s response was on the BMJ main site, not the the JNNP site, and that seems to be the only response to have been published so far – albeit only partially.

[edit: link to Charles’s letter: https://www.bmj.com/content/382/bmj.p1621/rapid-responses]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
    EzzieD, MEMarge, RedFox and 11 others like this.
  15. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This response has also not appeared so far on the @JNNP_BMJ site along with one @Joan Crawford submitted

16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

££££

EzzieD, MEMarge and rvallee like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The terms and conditions for Rapid responses. I have bolded a few relevant parts:
    https://www.bmj.com/company/journals-terms-and-conditions-for-rapid-responses/

hinterland, EzzieD, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  18. Fizzlou

Fizzlou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.theguardian.com/society...scouraging-exercise-is-flawed-say-researchers

In the above Guardian article (11th July) NICE said:

“We will provide a detailed response to this analysis and in the meantime we are confident that system partners and the ME/CFS community will continue to work together to make sure the important recommendations in our guideline are implemented.”

Did NICE mean a rapid response or something else?

19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

NICE should publish a response on their own website

20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The journal should give equal prominence to NICE's response as the original article had.