Anomalies in the review process and interpretation of the evidence in the NICE guideline for (CFS & ME), 2023, White et al

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Three Chord Monty, Jul 11, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The S4ME committee only had a very short time to respond regarding signing the letter; I don't think any of us were involved in drafting it. There wasn't enough time to consult with members to see if there was support for the 'Science for ME' name to be added as a signatory in its own right, and the committee felt that we could not sign on behalf of members without that consultation. I think there was some degree of confidentiality prior to the response being submitted that also would have made public consultation difficult.

Has anyone heard anything from NICE regarding the timing of their response? I have a small concern that the sort of back room conversations we saw evidence of prior to the publication of the guideline, when influential BPS people applied pressure to senior NICE staff, might be happening now, and might affect how NICE responds.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If that's the case, some FOI requests may turn out to be useful.

3. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t think they’ll make the mistake of leaving a text trail again. I imagine a few people coukd have been invited out for a beer.

4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

But not in the slightest bit surprising.

Denying (or misrepresenting) the right of reply from critics has always been a favourite tactic of the powerful to avoid their abuses of power being exposed and held to account.

Ariel, MSEsperanza, Arvo and 12 others like this.
  5. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
    MEMarge, Sid, Kalliope and 47 others like this.
  6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well done and thank you.

MEMarge, Ariel, Lou B Lou and 16 others like this.
  7. Trish

Excellent response. Thank you to the authors. If only one of the responses we've seen so far is to be published, I think this one is the most effective because it focuses, with evidence, on specific failings in the White et al article. I wonder whether they will respond or ignore it.

MEMarge, Ariel, Simon M and 26 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was beginning to think the ranks had closed completely but not quite. I can say that I think it is an excellent letter because it was composed by others. Nevertheless, it also expressed my own views better than I could.

MEMarge, Kalliope, Ariel and 36 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:confused:

Solid reply. I think that between the various responses, even with most of them not trying to address every single of their points, we will cover most, if not all, of them.

Only question is whether truth and professional duty actually matter. But all this press over such petty whining is making a lot of medical academia look terrible and horribly biased, almost hostile to the lived experience of patients. Which the ideologues constantly emphasize, always cherry-picking the small % that suits them.

10. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ha. good spot.

MEMarge, MSEsperanza, Fizzlou and 4 others like this.
  11. Tom Kindlon

Yes, I remember it was similar with the ME Action UK response where it hadn't been published online on that date but a later date.
    It may be the date it was submitted?

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was. Perhaps it normally doesn't take them this long to consult their lawyers.

MEMarge, Ariel, rvallee and 18 others like this.
  13. Tom Kindlon

I think a good paper to cite on this point is:
    PACE investigators' response is misleading regarding patient survey results
    Karen D Kirke. J Health Psychol. 2017 Aug.
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1359105317703787

It is very frustrating that Action for ME under Chris Clark allowed Peter White to influence them to suggest their data showed the problems with GET were due to proper implementation. I had held on to the original files and gave them to Karen to help her challenge Peter White’s spin on this.

Edited to add: Peter White was even thanked in one or more of the Action for ME documents by name.

MEMarge, Ariel, rvallee and 18 others like this.
  14. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes. At the risk of clogging up the thread with accolades, that's a great letter.

MEMarge, MSEsperanza, Arvo and 11 others like this.
  16. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Sean, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  17. Trish

Paul Glasziou, one of the 51 signatories of the White et al paper posted a link to it on Twitter and insisted anyone replying should link references to support any criticisms. There were lots of replies, all those I've seen polite and many with evidence links.

He has now tweeted on that thread saying he is taking a week away from the thread for his mental health and blocked all replies except by his selected few who he says made constructive comments. I am one of the many now blocked from replying, yet all I did was provide some links to relevant evidence and ask him to reply with evidence.

I wish him well with his mental health, but really, if you post something as full of holes as a sieve, surely you shouldn't be surprised when people shine a light on the holes.

18. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Someone should write a response called "Anomalies in "Anomalies in the review process and interpretation of the evidence of the NICE guidelines for chronic fatigue syndrome and myalgic encephalomyelitis""

19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Excellent letter. Thank you to the authors.

He should be grateful he has the choice to walk away from it all. Patients don't.

Michelle, MEMarge, mango and 30 others like this.
  20. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nailed it.