I understand that we've all had difficult experiences with doctors, but I'd just like to gently push back on some of the replies here.
- Once you have committed that many years to a career, changing it seems impossible. Keep in mind just how long it takes to become a consultant surgeon with your own practice (up to 20 years, including medical school).
- If all surgeons opted out, we'd have no surgeons. Surgery is a ROUGH path to choose.
- People considering medical school who ask current doctors whether it's a good idea are told to only pursue it if you can't see yourself doing literally anything else. This goes 10x for surgery.
- We probably should.
- Postmen are not dealing with the impossible pressure that hospitalists and surgeons are.
- Postmen are not grieving patients and wondering if they could have done anything different.
- Postmen are not working all day with people's lives, health, futures in their literal hands, then after all of that incredible stress, going home to do paperwork, missing dinner with their family, and then being on call all night. Sleep deprivation combined with the endless, crushing stress of surgery.
The years of sleep deprivation, missing family and friends, losing people close to you to your insane schedule because you don't get to see them/miss their important life events, as well as the huge weight of responsibility on your shoulders is a perfect storm for suicide. I have a friend who has finished medical school and is in their first years as a junior doctor, and the number of times they have messaged me with some variation of a swear word followed by a screenshot of an admin email outlining support available following the suicide of a young doctor at their hospital is... more than I would expect. It's happened at least twice in two years, maybe three times? I shouldn't have trouble recalling how many junior doctors have killed themselves at my friend's workplace recently, because it shouldn't be any.
Anyway. I get that becoming a doctor is a choice. But if no one did, we wouldn't have any doctors. And, sure, the pay is decent. But I don't know what amount would be enough to make the sheer mortal responsibility and crushing pressure bearable.
This, and the suicides I mentioned, all happened in the Australian state I live and study medicine in, for context.
I'm not trying to say that doctors/surgeons have it worse than severe ME patients. That's just patently untrue. But I've seen some of the insane pressure put on public hospital doctors in Australia and it's ruinous. Of course, it varies by hospital and by state, and doctors aren't helped by the lack of a decent union. There are a lot of factors.
Just wanted to add some personal context.