1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Association between CFS and suicidality among survivors of Middle East respiratory syndrome over a 2-year follow-up period, 2021, Ahn

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't see any CFS criteria being mentioned, so I'm not sure whether the patients are well-defined CFS patients or not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7888998/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Grigor like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Heh. I noticed this one, it could have been somewhat useful to know the proportion of "recovered" from MERS who fit CFS diagnostic criteria, or frankly any general health evaluation, but frankly this study is too much of a mess to tell anything.

No idea why they focused on "suicidality" instead of just evaluating the overall health and function, including how many fit CFS criteria. I may have just overlooked but couldn't quickly find how they determined caseness for CFS. In their sample about half fit "CFS" criteria, whatever that means.

Just more junk research that could have been useful had they kept it simple.

3. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, this isn't ME/CFS per se, but, I think we can agree with their conclusion that effective treatments to alleviate "this s" are needed.
    I could think of an effective way to resolve suicidality in ME sufferers, and here's a hint: It has more to do with resolving ME, rather than symptomatically treating suicidality.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, found it. In a footnote.

So it's fatigue alone using FSS:
    So: junk. Or not relevant to ME, CFS, ME/CFS or any variation thereof.

5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i felt suicidal at the eigteenth month period when it finally sunk in that the medical profession were clueless when it came to actually helping me recover/return to being my previous fit and active self . fortunately or not my empathy for others brought me back from the literal edge of the block of flats who's roof i was standing on the thought of children nearby finding the resulting mess was very sobering .