Review Association of multiple sclerosis with [CFS], restless leg syndrome, and various sleep disorders along with the recent updates, 2023, Prajjwal et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Multiple sclerosis (MS) and Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)/chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) share the symptom of fatigue, and might even coexist together. Specifically focusing on genetics, pathophysiology, and neuroimaging data, we discuss an overview of the parallels, correlation, and differences in fatigue between MS and ME/CFS along with ME/CFS presence in MS.

Studies have revealed that the prefrontal cortex and basal ganglia regions, which are involved in fatigue regulation, have similar neuroimaging findings in the brains of people with both MS and ME/CFS. Additionally, in both conditions, genetic factors have been implicated, with particular genes known to enhance susceptibility to MS and CFS. Management approaches for fatigue in MS and ME/CFS differ based on the underlying factors contributing to fatigue.

We also focus on the recent updates and the relationship between MS and sleep disorders, restless leg syndrome, focusing on pathophysiology and therapeutic approaches. Latest therapeutic approaches like supervised physical activity and moderate-intensity exercises have shown better outcomes.

https://journals.lww.com/annals-of-...n_of_multiple_sclerosis_with_chronic.657.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2023
    DokaGirl, Grigor, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the study: "....similar neuroimaging findings in the brains of people with both MS and ME/CFS." ( my bolding)

Does the above sentence mean the researchers looked at people who had both diseases at the same time?

At first it looked like this was a comparison between people, one group with MS, and another with ME. But the word "both" has muddied this a bit.

They do seem to be looking at these conditions when coexisting. Probably more is explained in the full article.

Why not just compare two groups, one with MS, and one with ME?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Peter Trewhitt and Starlight like this.
  3. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s theoretically ambiguous but not practically so: who would seek or retain an ME/CFS diagnosis once diagnosed with MS?

4. DokaGirl

Yes, better to have sympathy directed one's way, than the reverse response.

Peter Trewhitt and Shadrach Loom like this.
  5. DokaGirl

I know of a couple instances where MS has been mistaken for ME, and vice versa.