1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Austria: Petition: ME / CFS: Recognition, Medical Care and Protection of the Affected, and Research Funding, closes 22 Nov 2021

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Andy, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I'm relying on Google translation here, if any errors are spotted please let me know.

Quote:

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - ICD-10 G93.3

ME / CFS is a severe multi-system disease that currently affects between 26,000 and 80,000 people in Austria [1]. Depending on its severity, the disease leads to severe physical limitations and loss of ability to work for most of those affected. Despite the high number of people affected and the severity of the disease, ME / CFS is little known, insufficiently researched and those affected are poorly cared for in the health and social system.

requirements

This petition calls on Austrian politicians to support those affected by ME / CFS in four areas: 1. Information and education, 2. Development of medical treatment and care structures, 3. Social security and 4. Research funding. A working group is to be formed to implement the requirements and to carry out ongoing evaluations.

1. Information and education

• Information, education and training of Austrian doctors and health staff according to the current state of research in order to create awareness and expertise in dealing with ME / CFS, to reduce the currently long time span of 5-8 years until receipt of the diagnosis and outdated dogmas to eliminate
    • Inclusion of ME / CFS in the curricula of the Austrian medical universities in order to improve the supply situation in the long term
    • Public awareness-raising campaign for society as a whole
    2. Development of medical treatment and care structures

• Financing of public contact points for diagnosis, care and treatment of ME / CFS sufferers
    • Interdisciplinary connection of contact points to existing supply structures for the efficient use of existing resources and supply of ME / CFS affected persons in accordance with the current state of research
    • Securing the financing of the necessary examinations for the diagnosis of ME / CFS in the existing structures of the health system
    3. Social security for those affected

• Targeted training of experts in the structures of the social insurance agencies and the Ministry of Social Affairs service for the recognition of ME / CFS diagnoses for benefit claims
    • Creation of care and support places for people severely affected by ME / CFS
    • Targeted use of existing as well as expansion of flexible options for keeping slightly affected ME / CFS patients in the labor market
    4. Research funding

• Funding of research on ME / CFS to create treatment options and care for those affected using the latest scientific knowledge
    In order to implement these requirements, it is proposed that a working group should be formed which is not only entrusted with the implementation of the individual requirements in close cooperation with the Austrian Society for ME / CFS , but also takes on the ongoing evaluation of progress and measures taken.

Link to petition, https://www.openpetition.eu/at/peti...ng-von-betroffenen-sowie-forschungsfoerderung

The Google translate version of the page didn't seem to allow signatures, so I haven't given that link.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2021
  2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Signed, this one is a lot easier than the German one to sign.

MSEsperanza, sebaaa, Dolphin and 10 others like this.
  3. Florence

Florence Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Done. That was very easy!

4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've signed it too.

5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Despite being filtered through google translate this is a well constructed petition concentrating on communicating clear demands rather than falling the trap of going into chapter and verse that unfortunately some ME petition writers fall into.

Lisa108, MSEsperanza, Ariel and 9 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hutan, MSEsperanza, Ariel and 9 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

Hopefully the organisers are in touch with the organisers of the German petition to get some ideas on promotion

Hutan, MSEsperanza, Ariel and 7 others like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Done earlier and chasing up a +1.

Hutan, MSEsperanza, Joh and 5 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

12. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Done and sent to friend in Austria (I hope they are not too bothered by it).

sebaaa, Hutan, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I signed it but as the real focus is on people in Austria, I’ve concentrated on sharing German-language info on Twitter and Facebook (Facebook automatically translates it so not such an issue there). If one sticks the link info the Twitter search bar, one can find tweets that link to it.

It is on course to be a little short, but could make it at a push. I might share an Instagram post in German: anyone know any?
    Edited to add: I found the CFShilfe account on Instagram.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    lycaena, Hutan, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  14. Ariel

My friend in Austria has responded that she signed it and instead of ignoring me for spamming her as I feared she might (??); she also says she has passed it along to a few people, so hopefully that will add some signatures! :)

lycaena, Hutan, Sean and 13 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like there are some paper signatures also:
    Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/CFSHilfe/posts/1371045363314532

17. Ariel

That's good news! I have been refreshing the vote count nervously.

18. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hutan, MeSci, Joh and 3 others like this.
  20. Ariel

There appear to only be 10 signatories from the UK according to the analytics? One person I know has promised to do it tomorrow! I know the non-Austria signatories aren't as important but it still seems worth doing!

I have been watching the count and it seems to be rising today (the Austrian signatures) whereas it was a bit static. I am hopeful!

xx

sebaaa, Hutan, Joh and 4 others like this.