BBC: Long Covid course [LP] is ‘exploiting people’, says ex-GB rower, 2024, article and radio program

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Deanne NZ, May 20, 2024.

1. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My thoughts re the lady who recovered fwiw. I posted similar comments on @dave30th blog.

The patient reporting recovery from their post Covid symptoms via LP stated in the programme that they only had symptoms when they left their house. ME type symptoms after Covid are present 24 hours a day 365 days a year. And across all domains of a person’s life. The diagnosing clinician either didn’t know that or the patient was probably given a chronic fatigue label, which she and LP people thought was the same. I think it likely this fundamental mix up gives the BPS crowd their 'evidence' that CBT/GET was 'effective'.

I think this example demonstrates the impact of the dreadful unhelpful CFS label, as it can allow pwME and chronic fatigue due to anything else to be placed in the same group. And it ignores the impact of PEM, flu-like malaise and so forth post modest activity. Then unfortunately results from one get generalised to the pwME / pw ME type symptoms post Covid unhelpfully. Completely misleading.

The patient describes approaching going out and building up her confidence to do things outside the house. This is one way in which someone with worry after they had lost their confidence after upset/traumatic experience would work, along with other things, to overcome difficulties and move on well. I would expect a good outcome in this type of case. It works. This could have been achieved with a couple of sessions with rehabilitation physio or OT in a Long Covid service, with ease. It tells us nothing about the difficulties pw ME type symptoms post Covid face.

Sly Saint, MEMarge, EndME and 18 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: BBC Takes on Lightning Process and Highlights Perspectives of the So-Called “Anti-Recovery Activists”

With the advent of Long Covid, LP practitioners began to claim that they could cure this emerging condition as well. Just like the claims about ME/CFS, this one is not supported by any serious evidence in the scientific literature. Nonetheless, there are multiple personal anecdotat accounts of patients who say they experienced dramatic recovery. Notably, the range of anecdotal accounts also includes stories from others who did not get any better or who got much wore.

On May 21st, the BBC released a 38-minute radio documentary and a text article about the Lightning Process and its claims regarding Long covid. The radio piece was part of the current affairs documentary series File on 4. The headline of the text article on the BBC’s page: “Long Covid course is ‘exploiting people’, says ex-GB rower.”

https://virology.ws/2024/05/24/tria...ves-of-the-so-called-anti-recovery-activists/

MEMarge, bobbler, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If that is accurately quoted by the article's author, it's appalling. What on earth is happening to the MEA?

MEMarge, bobbler, EndME and 11 others like this.
  4. Trish

Typo, @dave30th.
    I assume you mean stable.

A good article, but I wish you hadn't ended with this sentence:
    The story included is a weak one, as Joan Crawford explains in the responses. And there are other factors that make all such stories of success unreliable even as anecodotes for lots of reasons:
    Part of the method is patients are told that the method only works if they consistently deny their symptoms and say they have recovered.
    Most recovery stories are collected in the first flush of excitement while adrenaline is giving a false sense of success.
    The whole LP structure is a pyramid selling scheme where clients are encouraged to earn from it by becoming trainers, and this of course requires them to continue to say they have recovered.
    It probably helps some people who are anxious about getting going again after illness to get on with their lives.
    Many people are misdiagnosed with CFS or CF.

For all those reasons, I don't think anecdotes of recovery from ME/CFS or LP with PEM are credible, or should be taken as credible.

I would have liked your article to end with quotes from Altmann, Nord and Kane, not with giving credibililty to LP fans.

MEMarge, bobbler, EndME and 12 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh my goodness, that's seriously troubling coming from the MEA ... they're 'aware of' "illness behaviour and the power of positive thinking"???

there is no 'power' in positive thinking, at least not when it comes to curing illness. Any illness.
    That is a load of Mary Baker Eddy, Amway, 'manifesting'/The Secret, bullshit.

Smile or Die: How Positive Thinking Fooled America and the World by Barbara Ehrenreich | Health, mind and body books | The Guardian

Barbara Ehrenreich - Smile or Die (youtube.com) - the whole video is excellent but if you cant manage it all, for positive thinking re disease select from roughly 20 mins in IIRC

If thats an accurate quote from the new MEA representation then they have either been infiltrated or Dr S has turned to the dark side.

what the heck is going on?!

ETA even better more recent video on the toxic side of 'positive thinking' (1) Barbara Ehrenreich: "Bright Sided: How Positive Thinking Undermines America" - YouTube

ETA: on reflection, i highly doubt /Dr S has changed his views on the LP or has gone over to the 'dark side' as i put it. He has been a champion of PwME for decades.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    MEMarge, bobbler, Sean and 10 others like this.
  6. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried to warn you: https://www.s4me.info/threads/poll-...sychosomatic-illness.34205/page-3#post-484876

MEMarge, Solstice, Sean and 5 others like this.
  7. JemPD

on reflection, i highly doubt /Dr S has changed his views on the LP or has gone over to the 'dark side' as i put it. He has been a champion of PwME for decades & i have edited my post accordingly

Which does leave me rather wondering what has happened/is going on?

MEMarge, EzzieD, bobbler and 12 others like this.
  8. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also "ethical challenged", "The trail", "anecdotat accounts" and "who got much wore".

MEMarge, Solstice, Sean and 6 others like this.
  9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I understand these concerns, and it is a real conundrum in covering things like the LP. I have struggled with this when I have written about it. Joan offered a good explanation for one case, but as Rachel said in the piece, they spoke with others who also reported benefits. When I wrote about the LP, I spoke to quite a few of these cases--people who reported having been bed-bound for years, etc. And they said LP immediately helped them. I included one of these cases in a generally very negative story about the LP. We can say, Hey, they didn't really have ME, they had something else, etc. But we don't know that--it's an assumption. The fact is, there are claims of "recovery" that we simply can't explain. As a journalist, you can't pretend they don't exist. You can say, that's not based on the science. But the stories still exist.

ADDED: I have updated the post by moving Joan's comment/explanation to the top. That seemed like a reasonable way to address the issue.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    cfsandmore, MEMarge, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  10. dave30th

Yes, I need a copy-editor!!!

MEMarge, EzzieD, Missense and 8 others like this.
  11. dave30th

I agree with these as possible explanations. I have updated the post and included these comments at the top for context.

MEMarge, EndME, Missense and 9 others like this.
  12. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The way I make sense of it is that humans always seem to have to find a reason for why they got better from a disease. People have claimed praying to deity cured them, or that taking a placebo drug did. If you go on any of the long covid communities who contain a lot of new people, the majority of posts and comments are people claiming they recovered from the most random things, from carnivore diets to hypnosis.

Personally when I was suffering from health problems (before they were diagnosed as ME) I had a period of two months where my symptoms nearly went away. I was personally convinced my symptoms went away because I stopped thinking about them and tracking them, which I know realise is absurd.

Anyways, a couple hundred stories of people recovering from a sham course that promises “recovery” done by tens of thousands, is hardly suprising at all. I really don’t doubt that some of these people genuinely had ME and recovered. Just that a large dose of confirmation bias made them “blame” their recovery on the LP. Then there is the “sunk cost fallacy” that people will be more likely to say something helped them given they paid 1000£ to do it.

MEMarge, bobbler, Hutan and 15 others like this.
  13. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The whole point is you do not base health policy and treatment for everyone based on a handful of anecdotes. It may be that for some people LP triggers almost instantaneous recovery, even though that is profoundly unlikely. It is more likely that there are other explanations such as @Joan Crawford ’s.

If these ‘miracle cures’ could withstand the scrutiny of a ‘devil’s advocate’, then it might be worth asking why these few benefit and research what makes them different, but it remains the probability that most won’t be helped, with some being harmed over and above being £1,000 out of pocket.

MEMarge, Hutan, rvallee and 12 others like this.
  14. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This

MEMarge, Hutan, Sean and 5 others like this.
  15. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lightning Process ‘recovery’ stories cannot be given credibility because Lightning Process trains people to lie about their health. Lightning students are trained to not speak about their symptoms and how sick they are, they are trained to tell themselves, and everyone else, that they are recovered and well.

The Lightning students are also told by the trainers that If they don’t tell themselves and others they are well/recovered then *Lightning won’t work*. They are trained to lie.

That’s what Lightning Process is.

Lightning is a very crude coaching course, an obedience training. That’s why trainers screen out skeptical ME patients and ban realistic questions and statements, calling them “negativity”, telling the skeptical patients they are “not ready to do Lightning Process”. In fact ‘Are you ready to do Lightning’ was one of Phil Parker’s early advertising slogans. That also fosters an ‘In Group/Out Group dynamic, the kind that cults use.

Last edited: May 26, 2024
    MEMarge, Hutan, rvallee and 15 others like this.
  16. Trish

MEMarge, Hutan, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  17. JemPD

agreed

Am feeling very low at moment and feared he may have been taken in, but on reflection that was a bit daft, he's been amazing for PwME over the years.

MEMarge, Hutan, EndME and 7 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Nobody is perfect I don’t agree with his take all the time but I agree CS has done a hell of a lot.

MEMarge, Hutan, rvallee and 12 others like this.
  19. dave30th

These are very important points. I generally agree with the concerns that everyone has raised here. But that's a different question than whether journalists--not scientific researchers--covering the issue should include an example of these stories while overall making clear that there's little science behind the claims being made by the LP folks. I think the BBC reporters would have opened themselves up to serious criticism if they had not included the example they did of the "recovered" patient.

Holinger, MEMarge, Evergreen and 14 others like this.
  20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This. The LP protocol is the essence of biased methodology and unfalsifiability. It is at its core fundamentally anti-science.

That said, I sadly have to agree with @dave30th that he needs to acknowledge reports from patients who claim to have recovered.