1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC News: "'Gigi Hadid has Hashimoto's disease - so do I'"

Discussion in 'Endocrine: Thyroid, Adrenal, Diabetes' started by Andy, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No idea who Gigi Hadid is but she has Hashimoto's Disease apparently.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-43029158

MEMarge, rvallee, Trish and 6 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, DokaGirl, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Probably one of Yolanda Hadid's (Dutch-American reality star and model) daughters, also a fashion model. Yolanda was diagnosed with ME and/or Lyme at some point, and I think a couple of her kids had similar issues.

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not quite sure why the BBC thinks this is news. It looks flaky and uninformative. The real trolls here are the quack doctors pretending they have some special answer to 'thyroid problems'.

FMMM1, DokaGirl, Louie41 and 3 others like this.
  5. ArtStu

ArtStu Established Member (Voting Rights)

I met someone with that illness today, and then this pops up.

Louie41 likes this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anything published under the name "Newsbeat" from the BBC is specifically tailored for "a younger audience", which might be why it looks flaky and uninformative. It wouldn't be my first port of call for real news.

ETA : Or even my 50th!

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah well, I have taken to looking perky when riding on the tube train because otherwise I get young women offering me a seat!! I fear I no longer fall under 'younger audience'.

FMMM1, Hutan, Louie41 and 11 others like this.
  8. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This could be very good publicity for those with the disease - Gigi and her sister Bella are both tremendously popular with millennials.

Louie41, Squeezy and MErmaid like this.
  9. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Apparently the young women, who volunteer their seat, don’t read the Metro? ;)

Why you should not offer elderly people a seat on public transport

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/18/why-y...ly-people-a-seat-on-public-transport-7009354/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Indigophoton, Arnie Pye and TiredSam like this.
  10. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A close family member has this*, which came on after pregnancy. She went to the GP complaining of extreme fatigue and was told several times she was just tired because she had a new baby. Thankfully she's a registered nurse and isn't intimidated by doctors, so pushed hard for blood tests. Eventually she wore the GP down, got the tests and was then rushed into hospital when the results came back. She claims she was told by her hospital consultant subsequently she had the (highest/lowest?) level they had seen in a patient that wasn't in a coma. Hashimoto's appears to be another disease that, because it can have a fairly vague presentation and predominantly affects women, often is dismissed initially.

*Part of that side of the family's loooooong history of various autoimmune diseases!

Lisa108, DokaGirl, Squeezy and 7 others like this.
  11. Agapanthus

Agapanthus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, that was my story, although thankfully not as severe. I first went to my GP with fatigue, and thought it was related to my PMT which I had for years, but it had extended to 2 weeks+ instead of 1 week. Someone I knew had mentioned it could be underactive thyroid, so I asked if this GP would do a blood test for me. NO was the reply, it could not possibly be that!

I changed GPs as I was so annoyed, and my new GP happily did my test and found that I was then borderline, but my TSH continued to rise (sign of being hypothyroid) and he started me on Thyroxine. That was over 20 years ago now. I hope things have improved since then.

Sadly I only felt OK on the Thyroxine for a few years, and then I ended up with the ME/CFS diagnosis, but that's another story.

DokaGirl, Louie41, Squeezy and 4 others like this.
  12. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Charite wrote in my "diagnosis letter" that 10% of pwME have Hashimoto's Disease (I don't, but the text in that letter is the same for everybody).

bobbler, DokaGirl, Louie41 and 3 others like this.
  13. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Learning how to look a little perkier is something that has been on my to-do list for a while now, so if you've already mastered the art I'd be very grateful if you have any tips to share.

DokaGirl, Louie41, Agapanthus and 7 others like this.
  14. Revel

Revel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A dash of pink blusher and a swipe of lip gloss helps, if you really wanna go there, @TiredSam! :confused:

DokaGirl, Louie41, Agapanthus and 5 others like this.
  15. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I understand most hypothyroidism is caused by the autoimmune disease Hashimoto's.

I wonder what percentage of pwME have hypothyroidism.

Barry and MEMarge like this.