1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Benefit Concert For OH Singer To Feature Cold Play's Chris Martin

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Wyva, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I am aware celebrities getting ill with ME or CFS have said that they were less ready to talk about this condition than others that they have because the stigma applied would negatively affect their chances to get work.

Being either treatable or fit enough to crack on with a show no matter what is the culture for public facing or entertainment industry work. You’re not easily substituted for.

I think it would be easier for celebrities to support others with the illness than to acknowledge it as their own.
    I don’t blame any of them for not talking about it. Everyone has a right to privacy about their health.

I think it is not as bad as being a dr with ME where the majority your own colleges will most certainly turn on you and condemn you for your failure and frailty. But it’s definitely economically and reputational risky.

I am not so much worried about here because being a well regarded mature white man with a degree of career success and good community standing and a Christian faith puts him in the best position he could be in while facing this onslaught of misinformation. Some people will view this disease differently if they understand that it could happen to them or those they look up to.

2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)