Preprint BioMapAI: Artificial Intelligence Multi-Omics Framework Modeling of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2024, Xiong et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by pooriepoor91, Jun 29, 2024 at 6:08 AM.

1. pooriepoor91

pooriepoor91 Established Member

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2024.06.24.600378v1

BioMapAI: Artificial Intelligence Multi-Omics Framework Modeling of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Ruoyun Xiong, Elizabeth Fleming, Ryan Caldwell, Suzanne D. Vernon, Lina Kozhaya, Courtney Gunter, Lucinda Bateman, Derya Unutmaz, Julia Oh

Abstract

Chronic diseases like MECFS and long COVID exhibit high heterogeneity with multifactorial etiology and progression, complicating diagnosis and treatment. To address this, we developed BioMapAI, an explainable Deep Learning framework using the richest longitudinal multi-'omics dataset for MECFS to date. This dataset includes gut metagenomics, plasma metabolome, immune profiling, blood labs, and clinical symptoms. By connecting multi-'omics to a symptom matrix, BioMapAI identified both disease- and symptom-specific biomarkers, reconstructed symptoms, and achieved state-of-the-art precision in disease classification. We also created the first connectivity map of these 'omics in both healthy and disease states and revealed how microbiome-immune-metabolome crosstalk shifted from healthy to MECFS. Thus, we proposed several innovative mechanistic hypotheses for MECFS: Disrupted microbial functions - SCFA (butyrate), BCAA (amino acid), tryptophan, benzoate - lost connection with plasma lipids and bile acids, and activated inflammatory and mucosal immune cells (MAIT, gdT cells) with INFgamma; and GzA secretion. These abnormal dynamics are linked to key disease symptoms, including gastrointestinal issues, fatigue, and sleep problems.

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That's a big claim for what is still a pretty small sample, and with their diagnostic model presumably not tested on another dataset.

Simon M, alktipping, Lilas and 7 others like this.
  3. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t see any suggestions for treatments here. I believe that Unutmaz said that they were going to list suggested treatments. If he/they have some potential treatments in mind based on this research, then they should put that in the paper. Maybe we need to wait another six years (according to Unutmaz, this paper took six years) for the treatment paper ?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1805317670704718227

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 7:41 AM
  4. Hutan

data on 443 immune cells and cytokines

958 metabolites

demographic documentation and
    questionnaires covering medication use, medical history, and key ME/CFS symptoms

whole-genome shotgun metagenomic sequencing of stool samples...
    gut microbiome composition (1293 species detected) and KEGG gene function (9993 genes reconstructed).

5. Hutan

It's not surprising that symptom severity varies significantly in the ME/CFS sample. I think for mild and mild/moderate ME/CFS, if you keep below an exertion threshold, you can have minimal symptoms. And life brings periods that demand more exertion. The symptom surveys were
    I'm not sure what the time period each survey was applied to (previous day(s), weeks, months?), but it's pretty complicated matching symptoms applying to weeks or so to biochemical measures that may or may not change momentarily. That's particularly true if they amalgamated surveys with different time frames together to make the 12 clinical scores.

Regarding the lack of any evidence for consistent worsening or improvement:
    That may well be so, but we have previously discussed how reference points for assessments of severity can shift over time if a numerical scale is used. A 'severe' rating may not be the same in year 1 compared to year 4.

6. Hutan

I think that means that BioMapAI was able to distinguish people with ME/CFS from healthy controls from the (baseline? or all?) 'omics data with a 91% success rate.

So, they did validate their model. The accuracies in identifying people with ME/CFS are promising but not definitive.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 10:03 AM
    Simon M, alktipping, Lilas and 7 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Lilas, Grigor, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  8. Hutan

I've only skim read this, and a lot of it is over my head. This does seem like a promising way to unravel patterns in huge masses of data, to examine the relationships between datapoints. I can see why the study took a long time, there's a lot of work there.

I think there may be a problem of garbage in, garbage out though. I think the granularity of the sampling has to come right down, because we know symptoms change quickly. I think the next step might be to get sizeable cohorts of the same sex and age and approximate BMI and take measures of symptoms on good and bad days, as objectively as possible to avoid the problem of change of reference, along with blood and faecal samples. That is, I think something like what Chris Armstrong @MelbME is doing. And then apply BioMapAI to that data.

I hope the developers of BioMapAI are trying it on diseases that have diagnostic and symptom biomarkers. They started with a very hard disease, given the likely heterogeneity of pathology in the ME/CFS cohort.

I'm interested to hear what others think.

9. Hutan

FMMM1, Grigor, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  10. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I missed that sentence.. but how many people have tried amino acids and butyrate to no effect?

FMMM1, alktipping, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  11. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I recall that @Jonathan Edwards wrote that the MRC group (he was part of) proposed funding a GWAS [common variant] genetic study [DecodeME] - the only other promising area was a sleep study - actimetry?
    I'm also interested in sleep since my family member has poor sleep quality; therefore I searched the paper for "sleep" & noticed this-
    "A notable strong connection increased in ME/CFS is benzoate transformation to hippurate, associated with emotional disturbances, sleep issues, and fatigue."
    Anyone found the papers/references to support this statement i.e. link between hippurate & sleep disorder?

While this may be all we have to go on, and therefore we should be grateful to these scientists, potentially the results from genetic studies like DecodeME [common genetic variant study] &/or rare genetic variant studies may prove a clearer route to underlying disease mechanism/pathology.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 12:00 PM