1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BMJ Editor's Choice: "The miracle cure"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The editor's choice is an article by Fiona Godlee, editor in chief....
    https://www.bmj.com/content/366/bmj.l5605

JaneL, ScottTriGuy, rainy and 12 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Physical activity is safe and beneficial for almost everyone, they say.

A little more detail on the exceptions might have been helpful.

TiredSam, alktipping, JaneL and 24 others like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Easily falsifiable.

Try asking someone who has no choice but to be physically active how healthy they feel.

What was the average age of death, for 'natural' causes on the plantations, the gulags, or the workhouses?

This may suggest that activity, that more is better, is the philosophy of a moron who hasn't given it any thought whatsoever.

Appropriate levels of activity, that's the bunny.

Not indiscriminate keep going, no pain no gain, just do it it's good for you claptrap.

TiredSam, Keebird, Anna H and 29 others like this.
  4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you think she has never met someone who has become hooked on running, to the point of obsession. Mental health suffers, relationships break down. But never mind all that, at least they're healthy.

5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe another one for @PhysiosforME? If they can intercede. (I hope you don’t mind me tagging you). Sadly as things stand, GET our first line official treatment, I don’t think patients would be listened to.
    As @davidtuller has been writing to her recently it’s not like she’s unaware of our community.

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nice to see her recommending a review of over diagnosis by Henrik Vogt too.
    Cheap and cheerful - no need to find out what is wrong - better to leave it as medically unexplained and do lots of exercise.

TiredSam, lycaena, Anna H and 28 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Beat me to it.

alktipping, PhysiosforME and DokaGirl like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"updated guidelines from the UK’s chief medical officers" ... which guideline is that? Seems like it needs looking at!

I think you meant @dave30th.

10. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Adding it to the list!

alktipping, Amw66, Cinders66 and 4 others like this.
  11. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me the problem really is that she is not wrong -- at least in general terms. Many of us were very physically active before illness and enjoyed it.

The real problem is understanding that there is a horrible exception to that general rule. She and so many others seem to not be able to take that on board.

Why not?

ETA: It seems to me that this is a concept that is being protected. That must be protected for political reasons. They cannot allow it to be questioned as doctrine.

Sisyphus, TiredSam, Keebird and 14 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I think it is all politics. The BMJ is doing a jolly good job keeping people well by supporting the cost cutting agendas advocate by both parties (or all six) because it reduces taxes.

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More than one. Plenty of diseases where the idea of ever-increasing activity is harmful. Plenty where it is explicitly advised against beyond a minimal threshold that never go beyond hard-earned lessons of what the limits are, which would be correct for mild ME patients but that is not the advice given.

The difference here of course being the god-of-the-gaps belief system that "there is no disease", which is an explicit rejection of the scientific process that lead to its definition and a body of evidence that does not solve the puzzle but makes it clear there is one that simply has yet to be resolved.

Still, exercise does not cure disease. It can delay it, diminish it or help in recovery after successful treatment, but it is absolutely not a cure for anything so it's ridiculous to speak of it this way. Language matters and frankly medicine needs a mega-sized slap to the face about being careless, even deceitful, over the meaning of common words.

Chezboo, alktipping, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  14. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's hard to argue against physical activity in the broader sense when you're looking at population-level data. I mean, I assume the human species evolved to move constantly across the savannah while hunting, gathering, and escaping from predators. From what I gather, this piece by Godlee isn't pushing for an actual intervention like GET but for the notion that physical activity promotes health across multiple fronts. Of course, just because physical activity shows benefits when measured in a population does not at all mean it is beneficial for every segment of that population. That aspect or major caveat certainly is not clear from Godlee's piece. I'm not sure if there are a lot of illnesses in which physical exertion makes things worse, but obviously a lot of people are limited in function for any number of reasons and cannot actually engage in much movement.

Keebird, alktipping, rvallee and 11 others like this.
  15. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:emoji_grinning:

16. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh ffs

TiredSam, alktipping and Amw66 like this.
  17. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree most of us do not get enough exercise nowadays but looking at our evolution we are actually quite strange in that regard. We keep our fitness/ mitochondria at the level which suits us right now then when we need more, exercise increases the number of mitochondria and so our fitness level goes up. So when the mammoth herds were due they probably held football matches to get fit enough for hunting them. :)

Birds, by contrast, get ready for great migrations by lazing about eating as much as possible!

I get annoyed by the constant propaganda about exercise which implies everyone is a lazy couch potato. My parents worked hard all day in a physical job in a factory for very little pay and came home exhausted. My children's generation work in call centres where you have to answer a phone every 30 seconds for very little pay and come home exhausted. Or they are so depressed by living in the poverty of unemployment they numb themselves with TV. Then there is the commute of 2 hours a day or more for many people.

Yes, exercise, yes, it is good for you, but for many people unfitness is an occupational injury.

ladycatlover, JemPD, TiredSam and 9 others like this.
  18. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Not quite sure why such a bleedin' obvious platitude merits editor's choice in the BMJ. Here's a sneak preview of the editor's choice for the next issue ...

Eating has been called a miracle cure for hunger and the supporting science grows stronger by the day. The BMJ recently published a systematic review showing a clear dose-response relation between eating and all cause starvation. The authors concluded that any level of eating is better than none.

Precisely.

Annamaria, rvallee, Snowdrop and 7 others like this.
  19. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

TiredSam likes this.