1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Hughes - If you spend 20 years gaslighting your patients, perhaps you should think twice before accusing *them* of trolling *you*

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Cheshire, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

are these the so-called 'secret files'?
    I've not read them before......just started :jawdrop:.........no wonder they wanted to keep them quiet.

upload_2019-3-23_16-27-38.png

from SW to Mansel Aylward.

sounds eerily familiar

andypants, EzzieD, Barry and 7 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2019-3-23_17-19-13.png

eta:
    Govt reply:

upload_2019-3-23_17-23-32.png

eta2:
    about half way thro the dossier..............
    beginning to wonder if we are actually a bunch of robots being abused time and again, like in Westworld

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Chezboo, Amw66, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  3. lunarswirls

lunarswirls Established Member

Fixed. :)

BruceInOz, MEMarge and Barry like this.
  4. lunarswirls

lunarswirls Established Member

Yes, it appears to be an overly generous interpretation of this part of said letter:

But this is how Wessely actually distinguishes between ME and CFS:
    HOWARD, L. M., & WESSELY, S. (1995). Psychiatry in the allergy clinic: the nature and management of patients with non-allergic symptoms. Clinical Experimental Allergy, 25(6), 503–514. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2222.1995.tb01087.x

Another quote from one of the leading scientists who bravely fought to get ME/CFS recognized as a serious disease in the medical community: /s
    HUIBERS, M. J. H., & WESSELY, S. (2006). The act of diagnosis: pros and cons of labelling chronic fatigue syndrome. Psychological Medicine, 36(07), 895. doi:10.1017/s0033291705006926

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Lidia, andypants, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think it needed to be 'fixed'. Different emphasis highlighted different problems. There are so many ways of being irritated by just those couple of sentences!

Chezboo, BruceInOz, andypants and 4 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm almost impressed at the sheer density of bullshit in the last quoted paper. It's as if Wessely had never interacted with a human. He describes a complete caricature of human behavior, a kind of machine learning experiment gone wrong, taking decades of psychobabble and distilling them into one perfectly dense nugget of aggressive and condescending ignorance.

It could not have captured the exact opposite of my experience any better if he had tried, literally no part of his interpretation is relevant to mine.

oldtimer, Chezboo, Sean and 9 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He seemed to have been onto something here though :rolleyes: ...
    [my bold and underline]

Sean, rvallee, andypants and 3 others like this.
  8. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wesseley's remarks above, from:

"confusion between an illness belief, usually self-diagnosed, and a reproducible, reliable, exclusive case definition [12]."

I wonder which case definition/diagnostic criteria/name of illness this refers to? I cannot think of one that the BPS crowd have thought up that is reproducible, reliable or exclusive!

Sly Saint, obeat, Sean and 5 others like this.
  9. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, this thread has so far uncovered lots of evidence to support @Brian Hughes claim of gaslighting! Only fault is it's more like 30 years than 20.

Starlight, rvallee, Lidia and 9 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

30 years? You should be so lucky. When I was a lad we had to go down to the pond at dead of night and catch the will'o'the wisp methane before it lit, compress it in milk churns and fill the lights before we could read a bedtime story (in the shoebox). Now that were gaslighting.

11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It couldn't be that people with a primarily physical illness have a stronger belief in a solely physical cause than people who do not have a primarily physical illness, and that the real problem is that the case definition being used simply can't differentiate between the two groups... could it?

---------------------------

BTW, if you see this guy hanging around, there's a good chance that he is gaslighting you. ;)

gaslight.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  12. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)