1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CBT for MUS therapist training day, Bolton, UK, 21st August 2018

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2018
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MUS really is becoming the bucket everything gets chucked into if it possibly can be.

3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've now highlighted this elsewhere
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1030852081148747776

4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have just forwarded this to person from Bolton who was at the NICE scoping mtg. Hopefully someone from there can follow it up in some way.

5. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A post on my Facebook page on this

Carly Maryhew
    The thesis of the Dr running the session is Louise Barber. You can see her thesis on CFS at http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4402/2/440964.pdf (I have downloaded in case access becomes locked). Very typical BPS approach, where symptoms are maintained due to psychological factors and CBT seeks to fix them.

Carly Maryhew One disgusting snippet from her thesis: "There is evidence that patients with more pessimistic perceptions of themselves, their symptoms and stressor appraisals may perpetrate or exacerbate their psychosocial and physical dysfunction (Afari & Buchwald, 2003). " (page 105)

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

hard evidence -if we needed it- that "distressing" must be removed from the NICE scoping document description of ME - it is BPS terminology

ETA why do they insist on renaming things in this case their new name for chronic health conditions translates to

chronic and upsetting chronic health conditions - where's that tripe picture

7. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'Distressing' is the mother of all understatements!!!

I personally always try to use the term ME with all medical staff. Unfortunately' Chronic Fatigue syndrome' can give the impression that we are just very fatigued,or burnt out, which is no where near describing the brutal facts of this illness.

I realise that I am incredibly lucky that my area is not yet under the MUS umbrella...but it's probably only a matter of time.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Wonko, MEMarge, Inara and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Hole Ousia

Latest article (including ref to CPD)
    ‘Priorities for the President’
    "CPD points are a mandatory General Medical Council (GMC) requirement for every doctor. CPD points are counted on annual basis. Without sufficient CPD points a doctor’s license to practice risks being revoked.

In the UK, there is no current way for a medical practitioner to objectively appraise if this essential continuing education on therapeutic interventions [education received in good faith] may be scientific, realistic, or safe."

https://holeousia.com/2018/09/03/priorities-for-the-president/

MEMarge likes this.