1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Challenges of memory enhancers, 2020, Chaudhry

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by Tom Kindlon, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't read this but it contains lots of suggestions about drugs that could impair memory, along with suggestions for medications and other items that might help with memory.

Free full text:
    https://www.ipinnovative.com/media/journals/AnnGeriatrEducMedSci-7-1-22-311.pdf

Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect that a major cause of memory problems in people over 65 is polypharmacy.

And I would also suspect that diets are likely to be poor in hospitals, nursing homes, and retirement homes.

Older people still living at home and caring for themselves may lack the energy or motivation or the money to shop for healthy food, and might not be able to cook for the same reasons.

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's ironic that, in the UK, DHEA has been classed as an anabolic steroid and is a category C controlled drug and is thus illegal to buy.

You can find it on the government's controlled drugs list as Prasterone (Dehydroepiandrosterone DHEA).

DHEA is an over-the-counter supplement in the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prasterone#Regulation

alktipping likes this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same in Canada. Experts here say the risks associated with DHEA outweigh the benefits

alktipping and Arnie Pye like this.