1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Characteristics of patients with motor functional neurological disorder in a large UK mental health service (2019) O'Connell, Wessely et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by ScottTriGuy, Feb 21, 2019.

1. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ugh.

Have you seen this new piece @dave30th ?

"Conclusions

mFND patients have distinct demographic characteristics compared with psychiatric controls. Experiences of abuse appear to be equally prevalent across psychiatric patient groups. This study establishes the socio-demographic and life experience profile of this understudied patient group and may be used to guide future therapeutic interventions designed specifically for mFND."

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...ntrol-study/9314AC746E831FAB8E4B3F7AC76B420D#

Hutan, Lidia, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  2. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

O'Connell, N., Nicholson, T., Wessely, S., & David, A. (n.d.). Characteristics of patients with motor functional neurological disorder in a large UK mental health service: A case–control study. Psychological Medicine, 1-10. doi:10.1017/S0033291719000266

(Paywalled)

Abstract
    @Jonathan Edwards

Hutan, ladycatlover, Barry and 2 others like this.
  3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great minds expose great fool ? :)

MEMarge, DokaGirl and MSEsperanza like this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would appear that one of the common characteristics across the board for this retrospective cohort is that they are British. Who knew?!?

A possible therapeutic intervention, by extension, may be to immigrate.

That or divorce, seeing as marriage also seems to be a qualifier.

Woolie, Hutan, Lidia and 10 others like this.
  5. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems wessely was worried an FND group was lacking PS factors so ran in to rescue the situation. I couldn’t see they found anything significant though? Being female was associated, another wow finding

Woolie, Hutan, Arnie Pye and 5 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The authors never question whether these patients might have an organic disease that is not yet detectable with current technology.

8. duncan

Does the psychiatric community acknowledge channelopathies? I am not trying to be flippant. This is a genuine question. With new insight into these organic medical conditions emerging more frequently, and keeping in mind only 10 years ago so little was known that they might as well not have seemed to exist except in the delusional...How can any component of any medical community any longer not defer to the possibility of a channelopathy instead of it's no more than patient fantasy?

Keep in mind that testing for the different types of periodic paralysis is still nascent, even primitive. But the symptom cluster is so similar to what psychs characterize as mFND, that it seems to me that out of sheer human decency clinicians and researchers would err on behalf of the patient, would believe the patient - if only because this is a brand new neurological frontier that matches patients' reports.

ladycatlover, Sean, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  9. MSEsperanza

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  10. MSEsperanza

It seems the investigators found a need to "stimulate" demand for their own future studies and treatments...

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It seems odd to me that they used patients with psychiatric illnesses as the control group. Why not also a healthy control group, I wonder.

Hutan, Lidia, adambeyoncelowe and 9 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the weakness of the study is that it is supposed to tease out demographics but is based on the referrals to a psychiatric clinic. So there is no chance that it will tell us anything useful about demographics of the illness, as opposed to demographics of attendees. Using psychiatric patients as controls also seems inappropriate. Maybe psychiatric patients are less likely to be employed because they have a psychiatric illness.

With regard to the diagnostic category of motor functional neurological disorder I don't have a big problem with this. There is no doubt that there are people who have apparent weakness which can be shown by physical examination not to be due to defects in peripheral neurological or involuntary central pathways. These problems must have something to do with brain function without any structural changes (imaging ins normal). This sort of problem has to have a name and functional disorder is certainly better than conversion disorder.

Maybe the problem is this. In the old days people with problems like this went to neurologists, who did not refer to psychiatrists because they did not think psychiatrists could help. With the invention of 'liaison psychiatry' with a pro-active marketing strategy for getting more patients neurologists have found it convenient to refer on to psychiatry. Rather than taking an objective biological approach to the problem the psychiatrists have resurrected old Freudian theories. Nobody has noticed that they have no idea what they are doing and are probably not bright enough ever to know.

Lidia, JoanneS, Wonko and 22 others like this.
  13. duncan

Although channelopathies have been shoehorned into a neurological category, to ascribe them to a brain function to me seems like a stretch. These are frequently inherited conditions that involve intracellular ion issues with potassium or sodium or calcium in different areas of patients' muscles. These are not uniform amongst the PP community in terms of location or even manifestation. And indeed, you can have acquired PP.

Where does brain function factor in?

Of course, this is only a subset of what some call FNDs

Hutan, Wonko, MSEsperanza and 4 others like this.
  14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interview techiques may result in higher prevalence of childhood abuse because interviewers can inject their bias.

A retrospective design is also susceptible to recall bias, which would increase rates.

The authors appear to be thinking that patients need help remembering or something like that.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Hutan, Lidia, Roy S and 6 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Channelopathies are not part of the motor functional neurological disorder category, although they may well get misdiagnosed as that if the clinical assessment is not thorough.

16. duncan

You've made my point. Perhaps mFND are in truth vanishingly rare, at least in the way some of the BPS contingent seems to have co-opted it for, and truth be told what is today ascribed to that umbrella may eventually be attributed to other organic conditions such as channelopathies. I have to add there are very very few neurologists or any other clinician that currently checks for PP as part of a differential diagnosis. One of the reasons is the tests are new and few, and the condition still considered rare (although that is beginning to change).

More to the issue at hand, if these BPS and other psychs can overlook channelopathies, what else are they missing at the expense of stigmatizing a patient community? Why aren't they defaulting to unknown organic causes vs childhood trauma or the like? It seems to me a disservice to patients.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    DokaGirl, Wonko, MSEsperanza and 5 others like this.
  17. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just presuming the methodology is sound. That's safe, right?

Yep. :thumbup:

So they were already referred to psych. Though that doesn't necessarily mean they have a psychiatric disorder, it does increase their chances.

Without going into it in too great a depth, it does seem like a lot of what they mention as associated with mFND is associated with slightly higher wealth/privilege (married women have a higher household income on average; pre-morbidly employed and married means there's a likelihood for a two-income family; access to benefits is much more likely with a small stockpile of funds -- discussed extensively in another thread). It might be that wealth, privilege, or education enabled these women to escape a nastier or more stigmatizing diagnosis than mFND.

I know Wessley et al. aren't sociologists, but it does show how they're still pretty much operating in a bubble of their own making. I didn't read the whole thing, but searching for 'income' or 'money' or 'funds' brought up nothing. They didn't measure it, I guess. It would be a quick answer to every commonality but 'female'.

Amw66, MSEsperanza, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  18. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is diseases such as MS may take quite some time to get to a proper diagnosis. I can imagine some with MS may be incorrectly diagnosed with FND and be subjected to "novel psychosocial interventions".

There have been numerous instances of conditions thought to be psychological that science finally proved are organically caused. I agree with @duncan, out of sheer human decency, patients should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Lidia, MSEsperanza, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  19. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems at least some PS practitioners blame and abuse patients for having been blamed and abused.

ukxmrv, MSEsperanza, Roy S and 4 others like this.
  20. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes I’ve no issue with FND as a category for that type of issue. I do think the fnd people are reductionist of CFS when they decide we belong in that group too and I worry when CFS is put under FND and right back into a BPS framework again .I think that Simon Wessely couldn’t bear such disorders to be treated purely from a poorly understood biological perspective when he’s long believed PS factors provide much of the missing link in the medically unexplained