Review Chronic fatigue syndrome and circulating cytokines: A systematic review, 2015, Blundell, White et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jun 22, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chronic fatigue syndrome and circulating cytokines: A systematic review
    S Blundell, KK Ray, M Buckland, PD White

There has been much interest in the role of the immune system in the pathophysiology of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), as CFS may develop following an infection and cytokines are known to induce acute sickness behaviour, with similar symptoms to CFS.

Using the PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic reviews and Meta-analyses) guidelines, a search was conducted on PubMed, Web of Science, Embase and PsycINFO, for CFS relatedterms in combination with cytokine-related terms. Cases had to meet established criteria for CFS and be compared with healthy controls. Papers retrieved were assessed for both inclusionary criteria and quality.

38 papers met the inclusionary criteria. The quality of the studies varied. 77 serum or plasma cytokines were measured without immune stimulation. Cases of CFS had significantly elevated concentrations of Transforming Growth Factor-beta (TGF-β) in five out of eight (63%) studies. No other cytokines were present in abnormal concentrations in the majority of studies, although insufficient data were available for some cytokines. Following physical exercise there were no differences in circulating cytokine levels between cases and controls and exercise made no difference to already elevated TGF-β concentrations.

The finding of elevated TGF-β concentration, at biologically relevant levels, needs further exploration, but circulating cytokines do not seem to explain the core characteristic of post-exertional fatigue.

Link | PDF (Brain, Behavior, and Immunity)

Kitty, Yann04, EndME and 7 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

This paper from 2015 predated S4ME's founding but is probably worth having listed.

Kitty, Yann04, EndME and 7 others like this.
  3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's good to have for whenever someone claims that it must be circulating cytokines. We should have an official list of theories that have been reasonably disproven.

Kitty, Yann04, horton6 and 4 others like this.
  4. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting that PD White is one of the authors

5. SNT Gatchaman

Yes, I posted it because it was referenced in a recent preprint

164 is this paper.

Kitty, Yann04, EndME and 5 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is an important milestone that was well aired in the pre-S4ME days. I think it was presented in Bristol in 2014. TGF beta should probably be taken seriously. The conclusion is fair but only in the sense that serum levels are clearly not the whole story. That would not be at all surprising since many, if not most, cytokines are designed to operate at close range, not in circulation.

forestglip, horton6, Hutan and 8 others like this.