Opinion Chronic fatigue syndromes: real illnesses that people can recover from, 2023, The Oslo Chronic Fatigue Consortium

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The Goldilocks theory of disease.

2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The two-sided BPS stuff about ME: that is, we're at once lazy, but also driven perfectionists, and their illogical criticisms of pwME, reminds me of some women's magazines; learn to bake a rich and delicious chocolate cake, go on a stringent diet, get thinner thighs in thirty days, think yourself to contentment, and strive to love the way you are.

3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A post for any casual visitor to this forum who is puzzled by the strong reactions to paper being discussed:

This "research" paper - how did an opinion paper qualify for a 'research' label? - is clearly part of a wider coordinated strategy by a group not exactly motivated by pure and selfless altruism. Fittingly this group calls itself a consortium, a term typically used in corporate contexts.

There is a thesis here for a Masters student, or a nice long in-depth feature for a brave investigative journalist (not looking at you Dave, it would be nice to have somebody new get their teeth into this): compare the tactics of this consortium & associates to the Tobacco industry playbook.

To make it easy for you, here are just a few leads on what this consortium and their friends are up to:
    • they manufacture doubt by claiming scientific controversy where almost none is left, by manufacturing misleading literature (this is not the first such paper) and by taking advantage of the poor scientific literacy of the general public, media and politicians
    • they manufacture doubt by cherry-picking and misrepresenting data and the body of the evidence
    • they manufacture a false impression of large support for their views by listing lots of authors (though still only ever their own little circle) and citing each other, and by organising "scientific" conferences that then appear to support their particular opinions
    • they strawman and misrepresent the opposition
    • they deny the dangers
    • they claim to fight for individual freedom of choice
    • they lobby behind the scenes (note that some names known to engage in lobbying are not on the author list, quite possibly because they want to preserve the pretense of independence when they go about lobbying)
    • they manufacture the impression of being representatives and defenders of neglected patient groups (astroturfing)
    • they portray opposing voices as irrational activists at best and deadly dangerous ones at worst
    • they front individuals perceived as reputable by outsiders
    • they ...
    A closer look is bound to reveal more, a lot more, but the above should be enough to get you started

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
  5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'll likely write a blog. I'm not sure there's much point to responding to the journal.

Ravn, Peter Trewhitt, Anna H and 10 others like this.
  6. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

As it is a red flag for me to have a medical professional say it, I find it hard to believe that many become convinced by being told it's evidence based alone.. In group sessions it can work "well" as a way to make someone quiet and stop disturbing the group. I don't have numbers, and I guess neither do my professors.

I do think it is more common in group sessions though, as for individual patient meetings someone who don't believe in the profession may be less likely to show (while group sessions can be part of a larger follow-up of someone becoming ill and there can be multiple things occurring for the patient on the same day with one lecture of diet being thrown into the mix).

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

And to the oil industry and their work to undermine and downplay the effects of fossil fuels on the climate.

8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Sly Saint said:
    "None of the Chaldean wise men are able to even read, let alone interpret, the writing on the wall".

No, but it is uncannily prophetic.:brb:

ie Chalders 'wise men' (take your pick out of list of authors) haven't got a clue.

9. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At least there are more researchers in the post infectious field now, and more speaking up against this gang:

Long Covid researcher Resia Pretorius on Twitter:
    What an ignorant and disrespectful statement: “‘May not indicate bodily disease”. ALL disease starts with definite pathophysiology. Opinions are not scientific. Perhaps they need reminding: The PACE trial was a methodological and ethical disaster.

I think this one from Independent Sage member Stephen Griffin also refers to the same:
    I just thought I'd re-highlight this amazing work by
    @VirusesImmunity
    & co. Particularly, I'd emphasise that self-reported #LongCovid is 94% accurate, referencing validated biomarkers... Worth remembering, just in case any notorious, feckless grifters might say otherwise...

Starlight, Dolphin, Ravn and 19 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Very well summarised, Ravn.

I've had a go at picking apart the abstract, which is wrong on every level, yet written to sound convincing:

Referring to 'Chronic fatigue syndromes is a sneaky way of pretending all fatiguing illness that doesn't have an easily recognised biological basis can be lumped together. In the article they include, for example, burnout, which is not the same condition as ME/CFS. It is nonsense to try to attribute the same biological explanations, treatments or recovery rates to such different conditions simply on the grounds that both involve a vaguely defined symptom like fatigue.
    Fatigue can vary in interpretation from tiredness from lack of sleep or fatigue in a healthy person after exercise, to psychological fatigue in depression, to abnormally rapid muscle and/or cognitive fatiguability that occurs during and after normal daily activities in ME/CFS.

There is no claim by anyone that any fatiguing illness in their list is incurable, particularly post infectious fatigue such as Long Covid, which is well recognised as having quite a high recovery rate in the initial few months to two years. Recovery from ME/CFS is much less likely after 2 years, with some figures given as about 5%, possibly higher in children.

This is not so much an alternative view, as an old discredited view reheated. The research quoted has been shown to be very poor quality, and routinely misrepresented by its proponents. The so called hope it offers is false hope.

The proposed biopsychosocial model is based on flawed science and opinion not based on sound evidence. It is not new, it is rehashing of old ideas adhered to by a small group of clinicians despite evidence that treatments based on the idea are ineffective and many report harm.

There may be evidence to support this for burnout. There is none for ME/CFS.

This attempt to discredit the whole idea of post-exertional malaise as a physiological phenomenon is despicable and wrong. PEM is not a result of anxiety, it is a usually delayed physiological response to activity beyond the person's current activity limit, and results in significantly increased sympoms such as pain, orthostatic intolerance, nausea, headache, sore throat, sensory sensitivities etc, as well as significantly reduced ability to function physically and cognitively.

People with in PEM don't choose to lie down in darkened rooms, their symptoms give them no option. Repeated and prolonged bouts of PEM can lead to long term or permanent worsening. Activity management aimed at avoiding triggering PEM is not about anxiety or catastrophising, it is sensible response to known likely outcomes.
    Referring to activities as 'perceived to worsen' symptoms is insulting. PwME don't just perceive/imagine worsening, they experience it physically.

Characterising rest, isolation and sensory deprivation as choices based on misunderstanding of how to cope with illness is wrong and insulting to patients. People with severe and very severe ME/CFS are not choosing their lives being so restricted, the disease gives them not alternative. If you faint when you sit up, you have no choice but to lie down, if sounds cause physical pain, you are forced to live in quiet. If seeing a friend for a few minutes makes you so sick you can't get out of bed or eat for the next weeks, you are forced into isolation. To describe this as people making bad choices is insulting and shows complete lack of understanding of PEM and severe and very severe ME/CFS.

That may work in mild depression or burnout, but there is no evidence from all the many clinical trials of graded exercise therapy and CBT that people with ME/CFS improve significantly or recover better with these treatments than with standard medical care, or lack of it. Worse than useless, people with PEM are made sicker when they try to increase activity beyond their current limits. Just read the personal accounts on the S4ME petition and numerous patient surveys.
    To suggest this here, as if it were a new and hopeful approach is wrong on every level and I think, criminally negligent.

Individual recovery anecdotes are notoriously unhelpful as it is not possible for individuals to know whether improvement or recovery occurred naturally by good fortune or has any relation to whatever treatment they were doing at the time.
    What they are actually arguing for here is a return to an old outdated and disproved approach to ME/CFS - lumping it with different fatiguing conditions, denying the validity of PEM, and basing their arguments on anecdotes and very poor quality research.

I don't know why I've bothered to write all this. Forum members have heard it all before, those of us with ME/CFS have been faced by this sort of denialism of our experience many many times before. It's insulting, dangerous and unscientific. The authors should be ashamed.

11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

People on Twitter are making good use of the community note option. Click image below to view.
    Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 11.32.18.png

12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, it's a shame so many of us got blocked by Dr Scuba, we can't rate the note as helpful.

Dolphin, Ravn, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  13. rvallee

I'm confused as to what this person is saying, since I've learned not to trust that the words they are using mean whatever they seem to mean, even when they are used in what should be a rather simple fashion.
    Although, falsification, what an idea. Truly a novel concept, never before tried. In psychosomatic medicine, anyway, which is built on the belief that you don't need any of fancy-shmancy stuff. And of course all functional ideologues include "chronic fatigue" in their power grab.

14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This innocent child is beginning to have doubts about their FND saviors.

15. rvallee

I decided to ask ChatGPT about this op-ed, and it came up with an interesting answer. See, because officially speaking ME/CFS is described as, and all the evidence supports being, a biomedical illness, just lacking in biomarker and pathophysiology, this editorial proposing the same old ideology that makes up the current model as a contrarian viewpoint is actually considered a contrarian viewpoint, even though this psychosomatic model that they are proposing yet again is what is actually believed and acted upon.

Now that is confusing. Indicative of a discipline in a state of crisis, unable to determine what is right and wrong, and how to assess evidence, or even use it properly.

Specifically, I asked "Can you offer a critique and evaluation of this research article, its scientific value and accuracy, as well as the validity of the claims made by the authors?"

And it replied:

Starlight, Dolphin, Solstice and 6 others like this.
  16. rvallee

Just for fun, I asked a follow-up question: "Are there incorrect facts in the article? And what evidence supports the assertions made by the authors?"

Starlight, Dolphin, Solstice and 7 others like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

As I would expect, ChatGPT can only parrot what it finds in this and other documents. It can't distinguish, for example, the claim in the article that this is a new approach from the fact that it's just the old discredited approach reheated. It's an interesting experiment, but until it can sort the wood from the trees, I think it just adds to confusion by muddling together sensible and nonsensical stuff.

18. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a FND patient who got gaslit by grifter neuropsychologists and doesn't get the memo that outside those small circles nobody takes FND seriously (unless it's used to dismiss or mock patients)

19. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's such a hope-evoking message, isn't it?

20. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The key is to concentrate on the sky, apparently: