1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Comedians could be prescribed on NHS to help patients struggling with trauma: Bristol Uni

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article in Mirror;
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/comedians-could-prescribed-nhs-help-25831867

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I had been recently traumatised and I was told to go and see a comedian I would feel that my experiences were being made fun of and were not being taken seriously.

TigerLilea, Sean, alktipping and 15 others like this.
  3. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Comedians could be prescribed on NHS to help patients struggling with trauma: Bristol Uni

Esther Crawley perhaps?

FMMM1, Barry, TigerLilea and 11 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely! It wouldn't be any different than bringing in a clown to a support group to 'help' grieve the lose of a loved one.

TigerLilea, Sean, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You've got to be joking.

Michelle, TigerLilea, Sean and 11 others like this.
  6. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its a farce for good.

Clearly the quest to discover the inner idiot is bearing fruit.

TigerLilea, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  7. chrisb

Apparently Angie Belcher is an Associate Lecturer in Comedy at University of Worcester, as well as being the Comedian in Academic Residence at University of Bristol.

I wonder whether "comedy" stopped being funny at the time as universities started to offer courses, or whether the fact that the BBC had already promoted the new genre of unfunny comedy led to the possibility of the teaching of the subject.

TigerLilea, Sean, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  8. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EzzieD, Sean, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  11. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2022-1-10_17-18-20.png

In my opinion this makes the whole idea even worse.

Sean, alktipping, Simbindi and 4 others like this.
  12. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I feel mean now.

I guess if its self selected then it could be a fun option for some people who feel like it.

Its just the idea of trying to be funny about ME kind of flops. Ricky Gervaise and Jack Dee tried it and ... erm ... it didnt raise a titter, more a kind of stoney silence... next joke please!

Sean, alktipping, Ash and 2 others like this.
  13. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Aren't comedians more at risk for severe mental illness and suicide? I'm not sure being comedic is good for coping.

ukxmrv, TigerLilea, Sean and 9 others like this.
  14. CRG

It strikes me as horrible and I hate the whole way it was Press Released but - this is happening in an economically and socially challenged inner city area where there are widespread health deficits. It's part of a package of giving people ways of doing something new and outside their experiences that might build a bit of resilience to help cope with crap lives. I think it's probably not evil, just a bit naff.

There's a certain irony though in that similar sort of well meaning outside influence has been going on that facility for at least the last 40 years without any change in the well being (or ability to laugh) for the local population.

FMMM1, boolybooly, Sean and 4 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They're aware that the Internet exists? As if comedy is hard to find and people need to be given a little paper to do it. WTF? Medicine is becoming a parody of alternative medicine.

16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Most people aren't funny. That's not at all better.

Not a dig at anyone. Most people are bad at tragedy as well. Performance is not for everyone. These people have no idea what they're doing. This is what happens without accountability, it just gets worse and worse and the participation are evermore plentiful.

Sean, alktipping, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.
  17. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To me the it’s the ‘economically challenged area’ aspect that makes it a whole lot worse.

In this case building ‘resilience’ might be laughing you poverty house less ness and bleak prospects away instead of having access good quality housing medical and social care and all the good stuff you could have if others weren’t profiting out of your misery.

Michelle, FMMM1, Arnie Pye and 5 others like this.
  18. CRG

Yeah - but good quality housing medical and social care aren't on offer so something that helps you mentally survive another year without going under might be welcome. With this sort of humour ? Four decades ago we nearly went to live around there - but the flat got firebombed by someone unhappy with the previous tenant before we got allocated. True story. :jawdrop:

FMMM1, Midnattsol, Sean and 4 others like this.
  19. chrisb

That sounds like a good basis for a stand-up routine, but it still needs a bit of work doing on it.

FMMM1, CRG, Midnattsol and 3 others like this.
  20. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At least the thread title made me smile. :)

Oni, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.