Comedians could be prescribed on NHS to help patients struggling with trauma: Bristol Uni

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure she has plenty of side-splitting anecdotes about foolish delusional denialist patients and their hilarious escapades with secondary benefits. :bored:

Ash, EzzieD, boolybooly and 5 others like this.
  2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How are they going to get the comedians into those little plastic bottles?

234.jpg

3. Sean

What is the placebo control?

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michelle, Sean, Forbin and 4 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not going to dismiss this notion out of hand. I do very much believe that humour can be a potent coping mechanism. Even in the saddest circumstances I have been part of, among mourners there can still be that spark of humour that keeps them going and mutually supportive.

There is most certainly not going to be a blanket solution; for some it would work and for others it would not; what works for some would not be the same as what works for others. Great care would be needed to no misapply it, as the mental harm could be significant.

But I do very much believe that humour is an evolved trait for a reason, and not just by happenstance.

6. Forbin

I wonder if they will employ GJT... i.e. "Graded Joke Therapy." You know... that's where you start with "Why did the Chicken Cross the Road" and then you slowly increase the complexity of the jokes until you wind up with the PACE trial.

Barry, chrisb, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  7. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When patients inevitably deteriorate post Graded Joke Therapy, Sharpe will argue that the jokes were improperly delivered. Need an august and seasoned performer to appropriately administer said jokes.

chrisb, EzzieD, Art Vandelay and 6 others like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Laughter is considered a form of exercise. What happens if I experience post exertional laughter?

9. Sean

:D

Have you thought of applying for the job?

chrisb, Mij, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  10. Forbin

Mij, EzzieD, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.