1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Commonalities in the Features of Cancer and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS): Evidence for Stress-Induced Phenotype Instability?, 2022, Rusin et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) and Cancer-Related Fatigue (CRF) are syndromes with considerable overlap with respect to symptoms. There have been many studies that have compared the two conditions, and some of this research suggests that the etiologies of the conditions are linked in some cases.

In this narrative review, CFS/ME and cancer are introduced, along with their known and putative mechanistic connections to multiple stressors including ionizing radiation. Next, we summarize findings from the literature that suggest the involvement of HPA-axis dysfunction, the serotonergic system, cytokines and inflammation, metabolic insufficiency and mitochondrial dysfunction, and genetic changes in CRF and CFS/ME.

We further suspect that the manifestation of fatigue in both diseases and its causes could indicate that CRF and CFS/ME lie on a continuum of potential biological effects which occur in response to stress. The response to this stress likely varies depending on predisposing factors such as genetic background.

Finally, future research ideas are suggested with a focus on determining if common biomarkers exist in CFS/ME patients and those afflicted with CRF. Both CFS/ME and CRF are relatively heterogenous syndromes, however, it is our hope that this review assists in future research attempting to elucidate the commonalities between CRF and CFS/ME.

https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/23/2/691

DokaGirl and MEMarge like this.
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From McMaster University. I see they are trying to take a biological approach.

It's hard to quite pin down what they are trying to say here.

Open to some interpretation I think?

DokaGirl and MEMarge like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't take this article too seriously. The first listed researcher is a lab technician who researches the biological effects of ionising radiation, and the third is from the National CFIDS organisation who seem to be mainly focused on promoting the idea that CFS is caused by radiation. The whole thing looks like a collection of assorted bits of research and hypotheses gleaned from others' research. I didn't see any evidence of new insights.

See this thread:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/radia...d-by-the-national-cfids-foundation-2019.9608/