1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Compression Garments

Discussion in 'Orthostatic intolerance treatments' started by Keela Too, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh and it’s just arrived. Tried it in the garden for a bit. Will try in competition tomorrow & report back.

2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That fits the Workwell findings very well. They are looking at how to do things while not triggering the broken respiration systems. I like that it is the closest we have to a treatment.

I have managed to walk much further by doing small bits then resting. By further I mean getting to the kitchen or getting to the garden bench outside the door. What a difference it has made to life.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's interesting. I'm sure there's a clue in here somewhere.

4. Keela Too

Oh my goodness! This abdominal binder is a game changer!!!

Sure, its not the most comfortable thing, but today I did agility with my dogs and didn’t get that horrid tunnel vision, drunk, woosey feeling as I finished. Indeed I was able to speak almost immediately on completion of my rounds, and had no need to put my head between my knees today. Not even once!

Good friends commented on my improved colour (now they tell me that usually I look ashen as I exit the ring :rolleyes:) and on top of all that I noticed my concentration holding out longer.

So I wore a lot of compression - socks, leggings and the abdominal binder.

I bought this one from Amazon & just for good measure left the additional hernia pad in place too!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SQNNN1M/

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  5. Barry

Seeing this, I think it is the same kind of thing that our removal men used some years back, when they started to load and unload some of the heavier things.

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried sleeping with my head raised because of GERD and I found that I couldn't sleep like this. It gave me really bad back and leg pain and I'd be awake most of the night. I also tried using a GERD pillow but that was just as bad as raising the head of my bed.

ladycatlover and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if the corsets caused women to faint because they were wearing them much too tight??

8. Barry

Wouldn't be surprised. I think the fashion during some periods meant someone used to wind the cords in very tight, effectively winching their waistline in far smaller than nature intended. Organs must have been getting unnaturally and significantly displaced I imagine - heaven knows what that did to lungs, heart, diaphragm etc.

9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have POTS, I just get blood pooling in my legs if I have to stand for more than a few seconds, which causes horrible nausea and lightheadedness.

I wear grade 1 compression stockings if I have to do something unusual such as a long journey, but I always wear compression shorts to help with lipoedema pain. If anyone's looking for gentle, comfortable abdominal compression that is nevertheless enough to make a difference, maybe look at a British company called Comfizz, which mostly designs garments to help people with hernias and who wear stoma bags.

My consultant recommended their cycle-style shorts, which have a very high waist and are especially good for people with lipoedema because they mildly compress the upper legs and bottom, which tend to be the most painful areas of fat. They're great for that, but also help me generally with orthostatic intolerance without making my abdomen feel squashed. I've got so used to wearing the shorts that I can sleep in them, and they didn't even bother me during the hot weather.

10. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A friend’s grandmother wore a corset two sizes too big when she was first presented at court. She had a naturally exceptionally narrow waist, and did not want people to think she was so vain as to have an excessively tightened corset.

ladycatlover, Mithriel, Trish and 3 others like this.
  11. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had forgotten the corsets of the 50s. My gran referred to them as her stays and it was a fearsome garment! The playtex girdle was a great improvement :)

12. Keela Too

So this weekend, when competing my dogs, I fitted my “corset” a little more snugly.

And my head was even clearer!

My dogs noticed the difference too, because I was able to give them their cues more accurately. It showed in our placings too. :)

It’s really interesting that something so apparently simple can make such a difference.

Just wish this wasn’t the end of the agility season now. :p

13. Keela Too

Several posts moved from BBC Science Focus Magazine: What is brain fog? A neuroscientist reveals what causes it and how to get rid of it

Ah! Now I’m not sure what brand the the socks are. I bought a few varieties.
    I can’t see the ones I’m using online, but they came in a pack of 6 or so, and have coloured stripes on them. They cover to just below the knee, and also compress the foot a bit. They are very synthetic feeling, so I wear thin cotton socks over them so my feet don’t slide around in my wellies.

The leggings are from Sundried. They look like these ones, which I think are the same, but they don’t now seem to be advertised as “compression leggings”. Anyway, I like them, and they’ve stood up to some use. I have other pairs, that are tighter on the legs, but don’t come as high at the waist.

I usually wear another pair of light trousers over the top, as tight clothing doesn’t keep any heat in!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leggings-Portugal-Designer-Training-Sundried/dp/B01MRD8JP3/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2021
  14. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Trish & thanks @Keela Too thats helpful ive ordered some.
    i always wear thermal leggings under fleece trousers during winter because my legs get so ludicrously cold, so i'll try these & explore tighter ones.

Interestingly (sorry to keep us OffTopic) I had to wear a back brace for a short while last year & i loved wearing it, but i couldnt really put my finger on why, it was definitely compressive like a girdle but they told me to stop wearing it after a while because i dont want my core muscles to get weaker through lack of use

15. Keela Too

Interesting. On a similar note I always tend to sit with one leg bent up, so even at the kitchen table I will pull one foot onto the chair, and sort of hug my knee. (Well okay not when eating, cos that would look rude, but as soon as we’re drinking a cuppa afterwards, and I think it might be okay. Or I bend my knee and sort of sit on the calf of the bent leg, if I want it to be less obvious).

I think this is similar - a subconcious realisation that I can stay more compis mentis if my blood doesn’t all fall to my feet! LOL.

Given how this helps us to think better, I’m not sure it’s entirely off topic for this thread. ;)

16. Keela Too

17. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

18. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed - often hear talk of counter manoeuvres that people have subconsciously adopted before even knowing they have OI.

I've personally always scrunched/folded my toes under my feet, presumably keeping calf muscles tense to aid venous return - usually bullied mercilessly for it!! :angelic:

19. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the ideas on Compression garments.

Since about 2015, my daughter always sits with her feet on a stool when we are at home. So that's obviously a fair amount of time.

She has occasional "headrush" feeling, when standing up, but never fainted. However after chatting to a couple of people with ME a few years ago, who had both had significant improvement in the amount they could do, having been prescribed fludrocortisone, we have been pursuing this.

Fortunately she had initial tests in 2019. Her cardiologist describes her as a "little bit POTSie". Further testing shows some small fibre neuropathy, so Dr Gall is arranging an appointment with an arrythmia nurse, so that she can trial midodrine. Just got a date for this, which is a phone consult in late April 2022!

20. Sidney

Sidney Established Member

I am confused!:
    I can well believe that abdominal compression is a help. (I got a thing called a ‘waist trainer’ a couple of years ago. They seem to be big thing in the beauty self-image community. It is not uncomfortable at all, once on but it is exhausting to put on, so I seldom do it.) I had had surgery for a multiple infection in abdominal cavity 2 years ago, and since then, I look as though I had a false pregnancy (I am very thin so the belly is conspicuous if sticks out.

Anyway: I have pretty Severe ME, OI, and now I have Black Feet below ankles my blood has pooled so badly. When I had normal varicose vein problems, Doctors always talked about compression stockings. The bad vein problems seem to have now sunk down to my feet.

I found the compression leg gear torture to wear, impossible to get on, and I thought that they must be stopping adequate circulation.
    Does anyone agree with this - or is it hypochondria??

I am mainly bedbound and would be so full time, but ideally with brief healthy walks around my lawn… but I am just too tired after being ‘independent’ (which is supposed to be so great).

I have to do housekeeping, like most of us with ME. It takes me a whole day to do the absolute minimum, interspersed with periods of being horizontal.

But if the ab compression could help with OI and crashing after tiny tasks, it would be worth it. Would Amazon be the better way to go?

Apologies for writing so much…