Is it still hot over there? -6C here this morning. I've switched from keeping heat out to keeping it in. I'll probably remove the tarps over my south-facing windows today to hold off having to fire up my heater.
I heard that eastern Canada had its heat dome collapse.
Yes, all those heat-absorbing surfaces in cities makes a difference. I wonder how much of a difference it would make if the pavement in a city was concrete rather than asphalt.
Someone should do a study of the total economic effects for a city if the council mandated roof colour or types. Even with white granules, asphalt shingles absorb a lot of solar heat. White metal roofs would not be much more expensive to install than asphalt shingles (and the price would drop due to increased demand and supply), and might make a significant savings in cooling costs for all buildings in the city, and make the city air a bit cooler for everyone. I don't think anyone's life would be dramatically worse if they couldn't choose dark red asphalt shingles for their house.
I heard that eastern Canada had its heat dome collapse.
Yes, all those heat-absorbing surfaces in cities makes a difference. I wonder how much of a difference it would make if the pavement in a city was concrete rather than asphalt.
Someone should do a study of the total economic effects for a city if the council mandated roof colour or types. Even with white granules, asphalt shingles absorb a lot of solar heat. White metal roofs would not be much more expensive to install than asphalt shingles (and the price would drop due to increased demand and supply), and might make a significant savings in cooling costs for all buildings in the city, and make the city air a bit cooler for everyone. I don't think anyone's life would be dramatically worse if they couldn't choose dark red asphalt shingles for their house.