Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry I misread then - I thought this was referring to "forced" quarantine for milder cases that never even needed hospital care. To avoid further transmission in households.

JaneL, Invisible Woman and Amw66 like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No problem . I have had a full day of getting the wrong gist of things ! Easily done.

JaneL, Invisible Woman and Leila like this.
  3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think there are a number of countries doing this and I haven't been shocked by the idea. In China I think they tested people and if they were positive they didn't go home --- would you want to infect vulnerable members of your family? In Australia it's off the plane and off to the quarantine hotel --- for 14 days? I heard a western academic who was quarantined in China (where he lives/works) he didn't mind that much.
    TB quarantine would have been 6 months/year back in the day (1930s?).

4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah. Give some people some power and they get carried away.... At the very least I wouldn't be at all surprised if under circumstances such as these there are some who would insist in treatment plans and recommendations.

I've been treated badly enough by docs with no legal power over me.

erin, JaneL, Mij and 1 other person like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting article about how these well known New Zealand businessmen helped to ready the country early for what was coming.

I noticed near the end of the article they were talking about after lockdown and how different life will be as an example when going to a café we will most likely have to write our name and phone number in a book so that we can be easily traced if someone gets the corona virus and had been to that particular café on the same day.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/12...yfe-worked-to-ready-country-for-covid19-fight

7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem is that serological tests have poor specificity, around 80-90% (possibly sensitive to antibodies to other coronaviruses). If you test the whole town, then you need to expect false positives.

Even at current infection rates it will take many years before 80% would get it. Even modest restrictions (mandatory self-quarantine for those with the virus and overseas arrivals, no large gatherings) will prevent this happening, unless a vaccine never eventuates. Also, the idea that many people won't notice they have it is total bullshit.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  9. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Case fatality came out 0.37%.

I think a case is anybody who tested positive.

Mortality was estimated 0.06%; I don´t know how they did it. For Ínfluenza it is done via excess deaths in a given periode (over an average evaluated over a longer periode).

If this were done here as well, then it would independly match up pretty well with 14%, if my maths didn´t fool me.

The PCR has been tested very quickly, but they said it didn´t show any cross reactivity with other corona viruses. If this holds the water - as assumed and accepted by everybody here - an adjustment is easily done.

10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder when this occurred? Particularly in relation to Boris Johnson's experience. I fear that although Johnson is likely to stabilise he must have had sufficient pathology for him to be taken into ICU and there may well be sequelae from that over weeks or possibly years. Surely sooner or later those who still think it is OK to let everyone get ill will realise that the entire economy will be taken up with long term care of survivors.

The good news is that as Anthony Costello has pointed out it is never too late to get this right. At any point a month's hard lockdown will get us back to where we ought to be.

11. Jonathan Edwards

I agree I also think it is interesting that this was apparently a badly affected area. It strongly suggests that across a European country infection rates so far may be below 10%. That fits with Vallance's admission that in many places the rate is in single figures.

It will take four months for the current bump of the curve to play out. If that is 10% of people we can expect another 40 months of the same. And that will become ever more unsustainable as the load on the NHS of chronic survivors piles up. Thee is no second wave. Only a second, third, fourth, thirt-ninth and so on wave - or you do it the antipodean/Chinese way and have one wave.

12. Jonathan Edwards

With contact tracing you do not get a choice. It is routine for TB testing in the UK anyway. As I understand it if you are a contact you are legally obliged to be tested if you are dealing with a notifiable disease

13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

or mexican?

14. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

This article is worrying on two counts. Firstly it seems to provide evidence that the UK government is following a herd immunity strategy although not admitting to it in public. This seems to fit with there in action of tracking. Secondly, the quotes from the the Home office's scientific adviser suggests incompetence of someone in this position basically giving views not backed up be science and contradictions. If we have people like that advising the government that is concerning.

AliceLily, Michelle, JemPD and 11 others like this.
  15. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Its not just that they are false positives its also the lack of balance in the population causes massive numbers of false positives for even quite an accurate test. If a population of 100,000 people where 3% have the disease are tested with a test with a 5% false positive rate then that is 4,850 false positives with 3,000 genuine positives (and about 8% of the population appearing to test positive). The lack of balance causes a massive skew. It more have the disease it is less so with 10% of people having the disease you would still have 4,500 false positives but 10,000 true positives so the proportions aren't as bad.

With a 10% false positive rate things are worse again say with 3% disease rate giving 9700 false positives and 3000 true positives (assuming a 100% true positive rate). Now reporting 12.7% of the population have the virus.

So we need to be really careful about figures quoted.

16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I only caught a bit of this program but they as good as said that herd immunity is what they are aiming for.
    Horizon: 2020 Coronavirus special part 1
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000h3nm/horizon-2020-coronavirus-special-part-1

17. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All the articles (Guardian, BBC, independent, byline times) were published on Thursday (yesterday) and in all of them they say the Conference Call happened on “Tuesday”. By that I’m presuming this Tuesday just gone - 7 April. So very recently.

JaneL and Robert 1973 like this.
  18. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did not watch this (I am not able to watch it at the moment as I find that watching things visually make things feel more real and distressing than if I read it or discuss the science or policies here).

I know they used to follow herd immunity and the leaked records and definitely suggest they’re still following it. But are they genuinely going to follow the same policy from now until the next few years? I simply don’t understand how they can. The hospitals are already overwhelmed and everything else has been cancelled. How will they keep this up - as Jonathan Edwards says - for years and years? And other countries will start to close their borders to us when so many people die here that aren’t dying there. I thought even the “science” had changed and they admitted as much. So why are they back on their old plan? What changed - did it say in the programme what modelling / what they are basing this on?

19. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sweden: "70 out of 100 infected at a party in Stockholm"

Göteborgsposten: 70 av 100 smittade på Stockholmsfest
    Google Translate, English

AliceLily, Mij, TiredSam and 5 others like this.
  20. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who said anything about RT-PCR? They were identifying antibodies in serum, aka serology.

We can't do any sort of adjustments unless they also used PCR tests in the same population and therefore had strong indications of the sensitivity and specificity of the antibody test.

Michelle and FMMM1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.