Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

AliceLily, Hutan, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  2. lunarainbows

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.ft.com/content/44a40fcf-d641-46b2-a69e-46420ffb4933

4. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the Cadwalladr video posted by @Sasha - Dr Bharat Pankhania says that people "should not be dying alone" the "UK is a wealthy country".
    Happened to watch a program last night, on the affect of the pandemic on a hospital in Lombardy. The had managed to make arrangements to have a small number of people with those who were dying - so it can be done.

@Invisible Woman

Amw66, Simbindi, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure why you tagged me? My relative is dying, but was hospitalised for an additional & probably related emergency. Nothing to do with corona virus. However, due to corona virus restrictions in the hospital she can't have visitors. They couldn't even send in her kindle or mobile phone charger. Luckily someone already there has charged the phone for her.

There are lots of people who do not have corona virus are very ill and suffering in hospitals right now & doing so alone because of the restrictions needed to control the spread of corona virus within the hospitals themselves.

Edit - I'm not criticising hospitals for this. Just stating this is how it is.

FMMM1, Wits_End, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  6. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good advice from Prof Dale Fisher (chair of the WHO's Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network and a professor at the National University of Singapore):

Woolie, AliceLily, Sean and 4 others like this.
  7. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Bharat Pankhania was the chap I'd been listening to on Talk Radio. They only seemed to have him on in the early hours of the morning though, not the prime time programmes!

FMMM1, Amw66, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Then they should also be revisiting how people convalesce and consider convalescence homes.

9. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Norway too, at the end of april. Denmark as well, after easter. We'll see how this goes. We are still adviced to work from home if possible, and the restrictions lifted are that kindergarden and schools (1.-4. grade) is opening up, and also some services like hairdressers and physiotherapists. Universities are also opening up fascilities for those students and employees that MUST have access to complete their degrees this spring, and the rest of us will be studying/working from home still.

I have not read alot in this thread, so I'm not sure if Scandinavian countries have been discussed.

Edit: our replication number was at 0.7 when this was decided if I remember correctly.

10. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Czechia and Austria are as well on the road.

Czechia and Austria with masks (Czechia probably more restrictive than Austria, here only in supermarkets and buses asf. I think),

Austria keeps schools closed but wants to reopen some gastronomy,
    whereas Denmark wants to reopen schools, I don´t know about restaurants asf.

In Germany there is at least some discussion, here Chancellor Merkel stays on the hard line.

Woolie, AliceLily, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  11. lunarainbows

Doesn’t it seem far too early to lift lockdown in these countries? What measures are in place to reduce resurgence? China was far far stricter with their lockdown and still had a lockdown of 2 months in Wuhan, and even then, they’ve had to be very careful when re-opening. I haven’t been closely following what’s happening in China recently but I’m sure they had to close things after opening them again after a resurgence of the virus in places.

JaneL, Simbindi and Invisible Woman like this.
  12. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What lockdown measures did China take that we are not taking in the UK now?

lunarainbows likes this.
  13. lunarainbows

I wrote this post a while ago on this topic, after some research.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/coronavirus-worldwide-spread-and-control.13287/page-67#post-246451

Edit: most (all?) of that - the UK is not doing. Only thing maybe in common is the closing of all shops except food + pharmacies. Although i think would have been stricter in China. We do have some school closures, however some are still remaining open for key workers.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    JaneL, Sasha and Simbindi like this.
  14. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Less welding equipment is required here - when the Chinese authorities say don't go out they meant it, and were reported to be welding doors shut.

shak8, JaneL and Invisible Woman like this.
  15. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:jawdrop:

Canadian police are to begin visiting homes to enforce the government’s COVID-19 quarantine, the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) said on Friday, warning that “recklessly” failing to comply could result in a $1-million fine and three years in prison.

16. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is a detailed account of life in China under quarantine, compare it to the UK.

"If you open your front door we'll call the police"
    https://www.rte.ie/amp/1127028/

Woolie, Keela Too, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  17. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Volume 26, Number 7—July 2020
    Research

High Contagiousness and Rapid Spread of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2
    Steven Sanche1, Yen Ting Lin1, Chonggang Xu, Ethan Romero-Severson, Nick Hengartner, and Ruian Ke[​IMG]
    Author affiliations: Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA
    Suggested citation for this article

Abstract
    Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 is the causative agent of the 2019 novel coronavirus disease pandemic. Initial estimates of the early dynamics of the outbreak in Wuhan, China, suggested a doubling time of the number of infected persons of 6–7 days and a basic reproductive number (R0) of 2.2–2.7. We collected extensive individual case reports across China and estimated key epidemiologic parameters, including the incubation period. We then designed 2 mathematical modeling approaches to infer the outbreak dynamics in Wuhan by using high-resolution domestic travel and infection data. Results show that the doubling time early in the epidemic in Wuhan was 2.3–3.3 days. Assuming a serial interval of 6–9 days, we calculated a median R0 value of 5.7 (95% CI 3.8–8.9). We further show that active surveillance, contact tracing, quarantine, and early strong social distancing efforts are needed to stop transmission of the virus.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article

18. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow.

And yet we are all opening our front doors and clapping & cheering at 8pm every Thursday... I watched a clip on tv of people in a row of houses (terraced) all standing at their doors... it's lovely & all, wonderful, but every set of 2 houses the doors are 1ft away from each other so the 2mtre distance cannot possibl be observed... surely that must be spreading things, especially if some of them isolating due to symptoms.

19. lunarainbows

Same in my block of flats. It’s ridiculous. Our balconies are attached together so if my neighbour (not that he’s actually in the house right now), was to stand at his balcony, and my mum was to stand in hers - def less than 2m distance. But people were doing that last night. Or imagine hundreds of people (all in my block of flats) deciding to go outside at the same time to clap - where would they stand? And all of them using the same doors lift etc. This every Thursday. Saw this, this morning, and just despaired:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1248554662313299968

20. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Talk of small reopenings has me wondering about a large number of people that have put off the doctor, hospital, pharmacy, radiologist for a few weeks, but for whose problems are growing increasingly problematic or annoying. Myself included, I've been realizing I've been telling myself I'll be getting things looked at in a few weeks, but that's not realistic really. Would an ease-off while covid is about, even if in low numbers, result in a surge of use of these services once again followed by the virus spreading?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.