Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What makes this even worse is that it will be well understood by the speaker that the logic is perverse and misleading ...

Chezboo, Michelle, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't been able to keep up with this thread so sorry if this has been posted already.

I wanted to pick up on the following article in the Guardian: "Hundreds of UK care home deaths not added to official coronavirus toll"

Here in Belgium, we have been counting deaths in care homes ('woonzorgcentrums' in Dutch) and it's enormous. Today we reached a record number of 327 COVID-19 deaths. We're a country of only 11 million inhabitants, so you could multiply our numbers by approximately six to compare it to Italy.

Now 67% or two-thirds of that enormous high number of 327 deaths were people who died in care homes. Of all 1630 recorded COVID-19 deaths in Belgium, 43% thus far have been people in care homes, according to Sciensano, the government agency that publishes official figures.

I think it's sad that the most vulnerable in our society have been hit the most by this virus. I know of a person with an intellectual disability who lived in a care home close to my house who recently died of COVID-19. He was only 58. Many others from the same care home have been infected, several are in the hospital.

Chezboo, AliceLily, Woolie and 18 others like this.
  3. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An article
    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04/coronavirus-is-only-part-of-the-excess-fatality-mystery.html

from the article

The following article might make not completely nonsense for judging the situation:

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-handling-burden-flu-patients/
    Hospitals Overwhelmed by Flu Patients Are Treating Them in Tent

AliceLily, Michelle, Woolie and 9 others like this.
  4. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For a rough comparison:

In Germany every year ~900.000 people die. This makes 2500 a day, if calculated with a population of 80 million. Another number I just came across is 2600 deaths per day. Yesterday 266 people have both, died and been positive for corona (CDC data).

This would compare to Belgium having round about (calculated by 8 times)

325 normal deaths per day, and 33 deaths positive for corona.

Woolie likes this.
  5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I highlighted this video [

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-jbrHRmrs

] to a few elected representatives and included this brief summary. You guys are a much more knowledgeable audience(!); hope to don't mind the unnecessary detail. Basically these are the lessons @Jonathan Edwards has been highlighting from the start.
    One thing was that the spread is not "homogeneous" i.e. hot spots require local action/measures. Jonathan had highlighted that local communities could take steps to reduce risk --- identify places to shop which are safer, support those who are at greater risk (get their shopping etc.). There is a bit of repetition but overall I was very impressed by the professionalism of the video --- the substance was excellent (thanks to those who were involved).
    • death toll in Asian countries [South Korea, China, Singapore] maximum 3 per million; UK currently at more than 100 deaths per million and it may reach 200 or 300 per million [Note 1]. So the death toll in the UK, in the first wave of first wave of the epidemic, is already much higher than in Asian countries and the Asian countries already have the first wave under control.
    • PCR test which is helpful in reducing the death toll i.e. not the antibody test [Note 2]. PCR test identifies people who have the virus i.e. are infected/infectious and must be isolated to reduce the transmission.
    • If you haven't got enough PCR/virus tests available then diagnose based on symptoms --- you have a high temperature --- persistent cough --- assume you have coronavirus and isolate. Put in place community support, and other measures to ensure that infected people remain isolated, and trace contacts [Note 3].
    Note 1: Anthony Costello (formerly a Director at the World Health Organisation - WHO) - 7 minutes 10 seconds to 8 minutes 40 seconds.
    Note 2: Dr Bharat Pankhania. Senior Clinical Lecturer Exeter University - 21 minutes to 22 minutes 30 seconds.
    Note 3: Anthony Costello - 24 minutes 40 seconds to 26 minutes 10 seconds.

@Keela Too

AliceLily, merylg, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, I see, I thought maybe you thought my relative had covid 19. Thank you for letting me know, I don't see that happening here though.

As far as I know, at the moment, care homes, hospices and hospitals aren't allowing visitors, even to patients without covid 19. When we add up the total number of deaths on average per day in the UK -not just covid related, the protective kit just isn't there. Plus the staff to oversee putting it on and taking it off again is done properly. If we could accurately test people & get a swift result, it would be different.

Then it's hard to predict when exactly someone will die. One of my parents took a long time and we recalled family from a different country on at least two occasions while I stayed in the nurses accommodation next door. So possibly some would want multiple visits if the person has a lingering death.

I saw on the news in the last couple of days a heartbreaking story of a 13 year old who died of covid 19 in Great Ormand St Hospital. He just had staff in the room, his mother couldn't see him. I just don't know who I feel more sorry for the poor kid or his mother, who must be climbing the walls.

Hopefully, my relative will get through this episode and have a few more decentish months, but there's talk of a hospice now. The spouse won't be able to visit there either.

The same story being played in many families right now.

merylg, Mij, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  7. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Couple of days ago OH was chatting over the hedge with our next door neighbour, who is a statistician. He recommended reading John Burn-Murdoch on coronavirus. J B-M writes for FT, and every day puts up a variety of graphs, and comments on them. He's on Twitter, so you can see them there. I don't know if his stuff is part of FT's free coverage of coronavirus.

Usually they do a thread unroll too, but that doesn't seem to have happened today.

Anyway, here's the first tweet from today (they seem to go up around 1am). You should be able to see the whole thread if you click on this to go to Twitter, then hit "Show this thread" under the first graph.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1248730804513058816

Sly Saint, Andy, AliceLily and 8 others like this.
  8. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just found the thread unroll. The graphs are easier to look at on that!

Andy, AliceLily, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  9. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Listening to today's UK press conference someone asked about exit strategies and whether this relied on a vaccine coming along and the answer (I think it is Powis) seemed to be there could be treatment drugs coming along as well.

No mention of tracking and quarantine or any approach such as that as a way of helping getting spread under control.

But a heavy reliance on saying 'we are following the science'. Although from what I can tell they aren't following what many experts are saying just their committee who have failed so far.

Andy, Snow Leopard, Sarah94 and 9 others like this.
  11. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ukxmrv, JaneL, Ebb Tide and 4 others like this.
  13. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Message from the Moderation Team:
    This is now a restricted fully moderated thread with tighter restrictions on what is allowed to be posted, based on stricter interpretation of the forum rules. Any posts which stray from the more narrowly defined thread topic will be deleted.

1. What is allowed:
    Factual information on worldwide spread and control, with links to reputable sources.

a) brief summaries and links to new information about major changes in control measures being taken in different countries (not the detail of daily briefings), and reports from reputable epidemiologists and other professionals on the current situation with spread of the disease.

b) analysis of the data and questions and clarification of factual information and data.

2. What is not allowed:
    The thread (and the whole forum) is no longer open for wider discussion of members' opinions and opinions gleaned from social media, on whether the right measures are being taken for Covid-19 control, and the wider implications for health, politics, society and economy.

3. Other Covid-19 threads
    This is an ME forum, not a general forum. The aim is to reorient the focus of the forum back to all aspects of ME. We will therefore still allow threads for discussion of the practicalities of coping with the situation, and the health and emotional impact of Covid-19 on people with ME.

This is also a science forum, so posting and discussion of any peer reviewed published research on Covid-19 will be allowed, but speculation gleaned from social media about unproven treatments will not be allowed. Discussions of ME-like illness following Covid-19 is certainly allowed.

4. Explanation
    This is an unprecedented situation, and moderators and members have been feeling our way with how best to handle it on the forum. This particular thread has placed a heavy burden on the moderation team as we try to uphold the forum rules (particularly Rule 12: No non-ME politics, and Rule 4: Do not take threads off topic). It has proved impossible to moderate the thread to the satisfaction of all members with wide ranging views on the situation.

Rule 12: No non-ME politics is there for a purpose.
    As an ME forum, we welcome members regardless of their nationality, culture and views on politics, economics and society. Anyone with ME, or an interest in ME, should feel at home here regardless of their views on other issues. Many come here to get away from the endless political and social divisions on other social media, and do not want to be confronted with opinions they may not share on non-ME matters on the forum. Many have stayed silent on the discussion of these issues, and may be adversely affected by contentious non-ME discussion taking such a prominent place on the forum.

The expression of opinions on whether governments are taking the right decisions on control measures, listening to the right advisers and making adequate provision of equipment are inevitably political as well as scientific, and are therefore beyond the scope of this forum. We have concluded that this forum is not the right place for wide ranging discussion of the major upheavals in politics, economics, society and medicine this pandemic has produced. We encourage members wishing to continue those wider discussions to find other outlets for expressing their views.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The thing about immunity is its not about circulating antibodies, those just indicate that there was an immune response. Its about how fast the adaptive immune system can activate upon subsequent infection. Circulating antibody levels are possibly indicative but not reliable.

16. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Precisely.

17. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

18. Adrian

The model may already be wrong looking at the predicted death rates vs what has happened over the last couple of days where they were predicting 1300 deaths in the UK rather than the 900 we had. But the data in the UK seems so flakey that it is hard to tell. Also the UK data only included hospital deaths and I'm not clear what there model is intended to cover.

19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

20. Adrian

I've not seen this story being discussed. Its talking about tracking infection paths by looking at virus mutations. Its interesting to see how they can try to trace mutations and therefore infection paths.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/science/new-york-coronavirus-cases-europe-genomes.html

The story refers to this paper
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.08.20056929v1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.