Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. I'm not sure if there is such a thread here, but on PR there is an old thread called "sick but never sick" in which some people talk about how they haven't had the flu/cold since the onset of ME. This could be due to the isolation from others, but some talk about never getting the flu even when others in the house have it.

I wrote on that thread:
    On the flip side, there are patients who report that they are constantly getting colds, flu, etc..

It could all be reporting bias, but I remember telling people at the time how odd it was to be going year after year after year without catching anything.

[I'm not sure if it's considered OK to link to PR. If not, I'll remove the link and just leave the thread name.]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    MeSci, JaneL, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would be ratateusli then?

MeSci, TiredSam, Michelle and 13 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh::laugh:

The worrying thing is that I remember it being quite nice – God only knows what the rest of my diet was like if that was one of the highlights!

MeSci, Michelle, JaneL and 6 others like this.
  4. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to be in the "sick but never sick camp" for almost a decade. A few years ago, coinciding with an improvement in my overall ME/CFS, a cold came and since then I've had a cold once a year every winter around November time. They last a long time and affect me much more than other people. Prior to that inexplicable shift in my immune response you could cough in my face and I would catch nothing.

The latest one was very severe. Possibly it was the flu but I'm not sure since I did not go to the doctor. It lasted over 2 weeks, came on very suddenly, and at one point I was so delirious I wasn't quite sure I was going make it.

The corona thing doesn't worry me too much (I've stocked up on food and other supplies and will not leave home until it blows over) but I am concerned about other people's panic, recession and possible resulting shortages, supply chain disruptions etc.

MeSci, Michelle, JaneL and 7 others like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl:

. . . and I'll add a little trazodone to the mix to put me out until it's all over.

Michelle, JaneL, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  6. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oops, it's in my state now, but 40km away. A young guy that came from Milano.

I've been prepping since the Wuhan lockdown as much as my means allowed me to.

Good thing is, I live alone and am at least now well enough to take care of myself (except heavy housework). So I can isolate myself if needed and am not worried, as long as I get all of my meds.

I have no idea if our government can or would impose lockdowns, actually :emoji_thinking:

It's only been a couple of months now though that I CAN go outside again and socialize more so I would hate to loose that.

It's strange, so many of us are house- or even bedbound. And the world is discussing if not having mass gatherings now is too much of an intrusion in public and personal lives :emoji_rolling_eyes:

MeSci, TiredSam, Michelle and 13 others like this.
  7. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In bocca al lupo. You're in Veneto?

As a side note, just had a conversation with UK family who are considering this mask to keep others away and reduce the chance of infection. Slightly bonkers, but would work. People would keep away

8. InfiniteRubix

Screenshot for tracker blockers
    Screenshot_2020-02-25-22-07-46-309_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2020
    JaneL, ladycatlover, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  9. Leila

No in Germany, Baden Württemberg.

Haha, I bet the mask keeps people away :)

I've actually made that experience yrs before, wearing a normal surgeons mask in a train after I visited someone in ICU. I got a good seat with lots of space around me.

MeSci, JaneL, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably would do the opposite in the UK with van loads of armed police turning up demanding you take off the mask and tell them where you've planted the nerve agents. :whistle:

MeSci, JaneL, ladycatlover and 7 others like this.
  11. InfiniteRubix

Wife didn't go with that option, but proper N95 masks. But scaring away people deals with eye droplet risks, a main conclusion of the intercontinental family pandemic council the past hour. Main worry is still son bringing home germs...

Lovely state BW is.

12. InfiniteRubix

Yup, that's kind of why we didn't. Refusing to remove a mask when ordered to by police to avoid causing panic could be construed as an arrestable public order offence here in the UK.

13. Leila

You wouldn't want to be in a prison/cell right now though either :emoji_flushed:

For eye protection, I got swimming goggles. They complete the outfit of N95 masks and disposable raincoats I panic bought.

(Edit typo)

14. Wonko

Full face respirator, full chem suit, 2 layers of gloves (standard chem resistant surgical style gloves with heavy rubber overgloves) and little blue overshoe gloves - I used to play with almost pure nicotine so I have all the gear. Not much good for sitting around watching Tv in of course, or for traveling to the corner shop and back lol.

But if there is ever a very short lived virus problem, in winter (as it's hot inside it) then I'm all set ;)

MeSci, JaneL, ladycatlover and 7 others like this.
  15. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Plus people will go to work just about up until they collapse for fear of being fired.

JaneL, Mij, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  16. InfiniteRubix

Good thinking BatGirl! Swimming goggles!

Sounds like the making of some virus based Hunger Games Walking Dead hybrid spin off

JaneL, ladycatlover, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  17. InfiniteRubix

and @rvallee

Yup, read today about a biz traveller to China who self referred for corona tests when back home stateside. He had one the junk plans and he was hit by thousands in expenses for basic tests.

Major disincentive to self report and the CDC and others have been cut back.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2020
    JaneL, ladycatlover, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  18. Wonko

Nah, just the minimum protective gear for what I was working with, the aim is to have at least 2 barriers between it and my skin anywhere that could come in contact with it, as it goes straight through skin and can't be brushed off (no surface tension to make it into droplets). 2 barriers as when taking it all off any that's got onto the outer protective layer still needs to be kept off the skin.

Standard for organic toxins and reasonably effective for most things - not exactly virus proof, but a little better than a surgical mask.

What people who haven't worn this sort of gear don't appreciate is just how hot, sticky, cumbersome, and noisy it all is.

MeSci, JaneL, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  19. Leila

I will look ridicoulos in full gear if I ever have to go out like this. But I didn't want to waste money on things that I can't use for other purposes/occasions if I don't need them for this one (-> Swabians in Baden Württemberg are known for their frugality :emoji_blush:)

There's another case, a severe one in North Rhine Westfalia (Düsseldorf, huge city). I hope they stop the Karnival shenanigans there now.

MeSci, TiredSam, JaneL and 6 others like this.
  20. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Emergency rooms are required to take everyone, so unfortunately in the US those without health insurance often use that as their primary care. Now something like this could cause even more over-crowding in emergency rooms than usual.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.