Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did get it, pure nicotine is nasty, but the inherent drama in that detail is so rich with potential.

JaneL, ladycatlover, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note:

A reminder that the subject of this thread is the coronavirus infection. While it is on topic to mention the current health care systems in different countries in the context of the potential impact on the spread of the disease, please avoid commenting on politics, politicians and elections.
    General discussion of the US and other healthcare systems and funding is off topic and some posts have been deleted.

Amended for clarification.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a serious point, and if the virus does spread widely in the UK, I'm hoping it's dealt with.

People living with or caring for an individual categorised as highly vulnerable, but who are not themselves showing symptoms that would warrant an absence from work, ought to have protection from dismissal for choosing to safeguard their relative by staying away from places where the virus has been shown to be circulating. This could potentially help prevent some deaths, and reduce pressure on health services caring for very sick people.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I can't help thinking of low paid care workers going into people's homes to do essential care that necessitates getting up close and personal, so they can't obey the advice to keep at least 2 metres from others. I rather doubt they will be supplied with full protective gear if a pandemic strikes and their local area goes into lockdown.

MeSci, Chezboo, JohnTheJack and 15 others like this.
  5. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I fear that they give people a false sense of security and in turn they will not worry as much about things that are even more effective and important such as proper and frequent hand washing and limiting contact with people outside your household. I have a few friends who are fixating on mask wearing and who have become irrationally anxious (and angry) that everyone in public is not wearing them.

6. TrixieStix

My beloved grandmother is 97 years old (and quite healthy) and I fear the CFR (case fatality rate) for her age group may be 50% of worse (just a wild guess but probably not far off). My family has made plans for her to come stay with my spouse and I if it becomes necessary to isolate ourselves due to virus spread.

MeSci, Hutan, JaneL and 8 others like this.
  7. TrixieStix

Food and food for your pets!!!

8. TrixieStix

Yes this is so much easier said then done. It's simply not legal for doctors to prescribe patients an 'emergency supply' of an opiate. Thankfully I have over time been putting away some to create my own stash as I live in earthquake territory and my doctor approves of my covert plan.

But like others I also rely on other medications (to treat my autoimmune diseases) and the most important ones my insurance will only pay for 30 days supply at a time. I can get a prescription for more but I'd have to pay for it myself and one of my important medications is $500 for a 30 day supply which I cannot afford :(

I was at my pharmacy today and I mentioned to the staff that I am trying to figure out how to get a few months extra of my medications in order to prepare for possible Covid-19 related medication shortages and they all looked at me as if I was bonkers. People are simply unaware of what is going on and/or the seriousness of the situation. I got the same reaction from the grocery store employees when I mentioned I was preparing an emergency food stash.

ahimsa, merylg, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  9. Maria1

Maria1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve just been telling my daughter that having ME doesn’t make me any more at risk from corona virus than anybody else. It doesn’t affect my immunity (except maybe in a good way).

Now I’ve been thinking I don’t actually know that for sure. Does anybody else have any idea?

Apologies if it’s already mentioned on here- I did skim through this thread but may have missed it.

Michelle, ladycatlover and Kitty like this.
  10. TrixieStix

I too live in a very rural area. Seeing as it's still winter where I live, I've packed a cooler up with 5 heads of cabbage and 14 pounds of carrots as they will keep for a long time. A lot of coleslaw in my future perhaps!

11. TrixieStix

So far I've seen no evidence where i live that people are paying attention to the warnings. And I live in a US city that shares an international border with British Columbia, Canada.

12. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is true. Classic example of bad advice becoming among the best advice on average because of typical behavioural inadequacies

13. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My best friend is chronically ill working part time as office help at an ENT's.

They haven't been educated on what to do when somebody is presenting with suspicious symptoms or how to protect themselves at all.

Our state officials are saying again and again "we are well prepared", the chamber of doctors as well as hospitals disagree though.

I've been used to being medically gaslight for years with ME and other illnesses - but this is a whole new level

There's a lot of common sense greyzone between "panic" and "denial" and I don't understand why there's not at least done more to slow a now likely spread down.

Chezboo, merylg, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  14. TrixieStix

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    ahimsa, merylg, hinterland and 2 others like this.
  15. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Someone from WHO was on BBC Breakfast this morning talking about masks. She said that the main point of masks was to prevent infecting other people. The mask contains any coughs or sneezes. But the downside is that as soon as it gets damp it loses its containment abilities. And in changing the mask if you touch the damp part of the mask that can transfer virus to your hand... Ready to pass on to door knobs, taps, anything you touch.

16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think wearing gloves in some sense is a good idea in that it could be a reminder not to touch your face when out?

MeSci, Chezboo, Forbin and 8 others like this.
  17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, this is quite right. You can easily be infected through your eyes, ears etc while wearing a mask.

From: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/#active-cases
    cv.jpg

Note that active cases peaked at roughly 4 weeks since the mass exposure event (lunar new year banquet in Wuhan) and have been declining since then. There could be 5000 or less active cases in about a months time.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    MeSci, Sid, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  18. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

anyone remember this stuff?

upload_2020-2-27_17-52-17.jpeg

20. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes! We used to pester our mum for that suspiciously bright orange fizz. :laugh: (We never got it, except one time my dad bought it by accident when he was sent out for the shopping.)

Some slightly odd news on its namesake the virus this morning, in that 14% people who're apparently fully recovered are testing positive again. Still a good bit to learn about it, I guess.

shak8, ladycatlover, JaneL and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.