Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This subcontracted system bears no relation to effective public health practice anyway. I am sticking to my prediction that something realistic will be in place in the UK by July (or nearly!). Maybe people within local government and health trusts will realise that they have to set things up themselves,like they have already done in Sheffield.

ladycatlover, FMMM1, merylg and 6 others like this.
  2. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really hope you’re right. It’s scary that they’ve opened up the lockdown without even having a fully functioning tracing system in place.

Wits_End, ladycatlover, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anna H, ladycatlover, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  4. lunarainbows

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2020
    ladycatlover and JaneL like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

he has tested negative; but given that 29% of tests are producing false negatives.........

Kitty, ladycatlover, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes. And if not Corona it seems like some other virus judging by how much he was sweating and how ill he looked.

Wits_End, Kitty, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  7. lunarainbows

Yeah the fact our tests have a significant false negative rate are widely known. Why was one test enough? I heard stories in other countries eg China of people being tested many times, if they came out negative but there was a suspicion they had coronavirus.

Or at the very least given that coronavirus is circulating, treat him as COVID positive & trace everyone he’s been in contact with. If he was positive & they’re not isolating & tracing all the people around him, this could start a chain of transmission in parliament. And similar could happen more in the wider community.

So if they do nothing, the worst that can happen is pretty bad. But if they treat him as positive the worst that can happen is that his contacts will have to isolate for a couple of weeks. Im worried about this system of depending on tests completely even though they know there’s a high false negative rate and I don’t understand it.

Wits_End, Kitty, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

COVID-19: nowcast and forecast
    Paul Birrell, Joshua Blake, Edwin van Leeuwen, Daniela De Angelis, Joint PHE Modelling Cell, and MRC Biostatistics Unit COVID-19 Working Group.
    https://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/now-casting/

Kitty, MeSci, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  9. lunarainbows

Why is there such a discrepancy between this and what the ONS say (over 5000 new cases a day - 39,000 a week)

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/5june2020?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Kitty, ladycatlover and Michelle like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

One reason is that the ONS are excluding cases in the places where a high number of infections are likely to be:
    Another reason is that the ONS number is for a past week, while the mrc-bsu now-casting numbers are for today, and they think reproduction numbers are increasing.
    And any remaining variation? Both groups are doing quite a lot of guessing?

Kitty, ladycatlover, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  11. lunarainbows

It’s very strange that they’re excluding new infections in hospitals, care homes and institutions. Why do they exclude that when it’s such a significant source of infection? It’s also misleading (not the ONS itself but how it’s reported), because my mum says she’s been watching various news channels today and they reported it as the figures for new cases which most people who don’t look into it properly (including me until now), would assume was total new cases. My mum said they don’t explicitly say that it doesn’t include care homes, hospitals and all institutions, which they should do, each time. I just didn’t even think about it. The ONS figure is the one that is used in the media.

Edit, take for example this article on 28 May:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52837593

About 7% have had coronavirus, says ONS survey

In a few points in the article they mention “households” or “private households” getting swabbed and that cases in the community are not rising. But then they go on to say in its own paragraph: “From the numbers testing positive, the ONS estimates there are 54,000 new coronavirus infections per week in England, or around 8,000 a day.”

Edit: this is also the figure that I have seen scientists for example, Prof Devi Sridhar refer to in her interviews.

Wits_End, Kitty, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  12. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The data from the US is very erratic from day to day but it seems like there is an increasing trend of new cases now in key states like Florida and Texas. Arizona was one of the earliest to reduce stay at home measures on 15th May, and already the numbers are rising sharply.

There is only so long that politicians will be able to hide behind the excuse of increased testing, its basically a question of vaccine or bust now for the US.

Kitty, JaneL, lunarainbows and 3 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Kitty, JaneL and ladycatlover like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sean, Michelle, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  15. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lombardy may be in the beginning of its second wave.

PS: here is a link to an English article

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/italy-reports-85-virus-deaths-lombardy-still-troubling-/1866883

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Kitty, Michelle, Andy and 3 others like this.
  16. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No discussion of this as yet? - Karl Friston of the independant SAGE group seems to be one of the few with his head screwed on :

"Karl Friston: up to 80% not even susceptible to Covid-19" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOFeVIrOPg

17. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They've done this in Ceredigion too. (Apologies for all the adverts in the linked article!)

Some interesting graphs about the surrounding authorities compared to Ceredigion.

18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Remarkable. It illustrates the fact that contact tracing and isolation is really not that hard. It dawned me this week just how feasible it should be. Woodbridge has a population of 8,000, probably with 5 GPs and another 15 or so routine staff. My estimate is that at peak Woodbridge was having maybe 1-2 new cases a day. Dealing with those in terms of contact tracing should surely not be too hard. If fewer people are going to the health centre, as is likely, then someone out of twenty should have time to sort out a plan for one or two people a day.

And I noted this paragraph from Ceredigion:
    "We short circuited that loop and didn't wait for their test results to come back before taking action. We were able to send a note down to our contact tracing team to gather more information. If they're showing symptoms then there's almost the presumption of a positive test and that guides the advice we give to them."

Just as I thought- testing is not needed for contact tracing and isolation to be put in place. It would be good to have but it shouldn't hold up doing the job.

The incompetence of central government is mind-boggling.
    I did think of trying to set something up in Woodbridge but since I am close to the self-isolating age anyway and not that good with phones because my hearing aids need servicing I thought maybe not!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Wits_End, FMMM1, Nellie and 13 others like this.
  19. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, I "hear" you on that! I never answer my phone anyway as don't want to get scammed. :rolleyes: But something like this could be run via WhatsApp maybe? Can upload photos if needed, and it's basically text based. Not sure how good privacy is if it needs to run in a group. Or how it could be set up for privacy.

There could be hearing people who could deal with telephone calls, but a lot of people use WhatsApp just to keep in touch with their families, so it might be a familiar thing to use. OK, I know it wouldn't work for those folks who don't have a smart phone (and my old smart phone didn't have enough memory to download it) but it might make a start.

I can't help thinking that at this point in time anything that might help in even a small way is better than nothing. Though the privacy thing is going to be a problem. I was just trying to toss out an idea for discussion - I reckon it's going to come down to grass roots groups to try sort things out, but they will need to get the trust of their population.

Kitty, JaneL, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  20. lunarainbows

I hope maybe groups like Independent Sage and well known / vocal scientists start talking about this publicly - they could also begin talking with local authorities or public health teams who already know a lot, to help them figure out what’s needed (there’s a few public health experts on independent sage).

If just a few more areas start up contact tracing it could gain traction. But so far the vast majority of areas have been waiting for Central govt to get their act together, but if they don’t do something themselves things are going to snowball - as it doesn’t look like the govt genuinely has a local or effective plan at all, or is even thinking of making one. I think I will contact my local authority to see if they are planning on doing something similar. My town has close to 400,000 people living there - although it is split up into north, central and south.

ladycatlover, Kitty, JaneL and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.