Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, Leila, merylg and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Interesting you say that. One of the infected family works at a cold store, perhaps with chilled or frozen imported products, and there was quite a bit of talk about checking the work environment for infection. There has been the suggestion that cold temperatures might keep the virus alive longer. Anyway, hopefully we shall know more in the next few days.

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...vestigating-freight-source-covid-19-outbreak/

Woolie, Kitty, Trish and 2 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, Michelle, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  5. Hutan

An update on the NZ cluster: more cases have been identified, with most related to the cool store facility. The genome of the Covid strain of this cluster does not match the genomes from cases in our border quarantine facilities that have been examined. The swabbing of the surfaces at the cool store is only happening today.

I did hear that the same cool store company's facility in Melbourne has had two cases. So, the possibility of Covid having been transferred on freight hasn't been ruled out but the government is saying that it is unlikely - person to person contact is seen as more likely.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Woolie, Kitty, ladycatlover and 10 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't really follow the logic of that. Sure, person to person contact has occurred in Aukland, certainly outside the cool store and also within the cool store staff. But the virus has to come from somewhere and it seems pretty clear that it has not bee hanging around Aukland for three months or brought in through quarantine.

Woolie, Kitty, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  7. Hutan

I was surprised at the government people saying that the freight idea is low probability.

That said, it could have come from a quarantine facility. Only some of the samples from quarantine have had the genome described, so there still might be some that match the cool store cluster. And, in the earlier days of the quarantine facilities, there wasn't as much testing of staff. So, I guess it's possible a quarantine staff member had an asymptomatic infection and spread it.

Woolie, Kitty, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

I think the odds must be 50:1 on imported goods. It occurred to me some time back that this would be the Achilles heel of the NZ success. Cold storage would be top the list for risk since for most other freight the virus would be too long at room temperature. A very small percentage of the population work in cold stores. I think a coincidence is highly unlikely. What worries me is that someone in the NZ administration is trying to cover backs in one way or another. So far that does not seem to have happened in NZ despite happening everywhere else.

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, ladycatlover, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

I saw a group of youngster munching Kentucky fried virus only yesterday.

Kitty, ladycatlover, Chezboo and 2 others like this.
  11. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Swedish journalist Emanuel Karlsten writes about the Swedish herd immunity approach, based on emails he has gotten access to through FOI requests.

(Edited to add: What I find the most "interesting" about this, the main reason I wanted to share it, are the differences between what Tegnell and FHM have been communicating to the public and the world through the FHM website, press conferences, in interviews etc; and the way he talks about it behind the scenes/in the emails. As you may remember, Tegnell has publicly and repeatedly very clearly denied herd immunity being their strategy...)

Tegnell-mejlen: Så fick flockimmuniteten fäste hos Folkhälsomyndigheten
    https://emanuelkarlsten.se/tegnell-mejlen-sa-fick-flockimmuniteten-faste-hos-folkhalsomyndigheten/

Google Translate ("The Tegnell emails: This is how herd immunity gained a foothold with the Public Health Agency")

There's an article about it in Expressen too (today's most read article, apparently):

Expressen: Mail mellan Gisecke och Tegnell avslöjar inflytandet över Folkhälsomyndigheten
    https://www.expressen.se/tv/nyheter...lojar-inflytandet-over-folkhalsomyndigheten-/

Article in Expressen yesterday:

Expressen: Folkhälsotopparnas mejl – om coronastrategin
    https://www.expressen.se/tv/nyheter/coronaviruset/folkhalsotopparnas-mejl-om-coronastrategin/

https://twitter.com/user/status/1293817194942521344

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Woolie, Cheshire, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some of the emails seem to suggest they wanted to keep the schools open explicitly to drive up infections towards immunity. This is appalling and no doubt lead to many avoidable deaths, as well as people with lifelong disability who, unless Sweden change their way about ME, will be dropped dead by the health care system.

Everyone involved in this decision should be fired. From a canon. Into the sun. Or just fired is fine but do the canon thing anyway for symbolism.

Kitty, Michelle, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

I wonder how history will recount all this.

Kitty, ukxmrv, FMMM1 and 4 others like this.
  14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It will depend on who wins.

15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder this too. Especially as there is a quality to current history that is different from any other time. People still have rather short memories for things but the internet keeps all information one way or another. There are studies kept in Sci-Hub and the internet archive along with screen captures of various pages held by many people.

This may make piecing together the various written records over time easier to collate. And just as a side issue I've noticed of late that 'eminent' websites have been trying to dodge being captured on the IA.

Also, the work of Margaret Williams in the UK and MedFeb in the US could use some updating along with appropriate references to show just how the interpretation of their (BPS) science changes according to audience and what can no longer be said because it has been found insupportable.

I admit having this info may not win the day sooner or later but it is a difference to consider. We must be ever vigilant of this group lobbying in quiet to reduce access through FoI requests also.

Woolie, Kitty, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  16. mango

Finland is now recommending face masks in some districts where the numbers are currently rising (including Tornio-Kemi on the Swedish border), according to news articles today.

Masks are recommended in the following situations, for people over the age of 15:
    • On public transport
    • In public places where it is crowded and/or difficult to keep your distance from other people
    • In shops, but only if there's lots of people and you're unable to keep your distance to others
    • Travel to and from corona tests
    • While waiting for test results
    • Travel from risk areas
    • During quarantine
    The local governments will be handing out free masks to people who can't afford to buy them.

https://www.hbl.fi/artikel/munskydd-och-atergang-till-distansarbete-foljd-av-usla-coronasiffror/

Woolie, Kitty, merylg and 5 others like this.
  17. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Listened to the "Briefing Room" on BBC Radio 4 earlier and found myself thinking - fair dues to the Swedes --- you couldn't get ethical approval to do a "control group" experiment like that (open the schools -- see how many teachers and pupils get infected ---) i.e. do nothing and then the Swedes volunteer to do it!

Say what you like but the Swedes are providing hard data re the risks. Not saying I'd like my secondary school kids coming back to a household which contains adults who are highly vulnerable though.

Wonko and Amw66 like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Kitty, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 6 others like this.
  19. mango

There was a great Instagram live session with Matthew McConaughey and Dr Fauci tonight. About the pandemic, the science and the control measures, myths and what we can do and why it's important etc.

It was recorded and is available to watch on IGTV now :)
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CD2PYnvpNoc/

Woolie, Kitty, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  20. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of historical but also current interest. Article based on as yet unpublished research.
    For context, the population back the was about 1.6 billion (according to worldometers.info), so roughly equivalent to nearly 5 million dying today.
    https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/viden/kro...lse-coronavirus-har-tidligere-lagt-verden-ned (Danish)

https://translate.google.com/transl...lse-coronavirus-har-tidligere-lagt-verden-ned

A quick google shows this 2005 study already speculated about the possibility of a previous corona pandemic:

Complete Genomic Sequence of Human Coronavirus OC43: Molecular Clock Analysis Suggests a Relatively Recent Zoonotic Coronavirus Transmission Event
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC544107/

Woolie, Cheshire, Kitty and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.