Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think you may have been misled. Certainly in the UK hospitals were overfull before the pandemic. During it both patients and staff were getting infected with Covid and dying on a regular basis. I don't think health services have in any way over-reacted. I get a direct account from my niece, who works as a GP in A and E and caught Covid pretty badly.

There is absolutely no way that it would be safe for cancer patients to be treated at the moment. It would be insane to go to a hospital.

In fact I am a cancer patient myself. I had an appointment booked for next week, which I have cancelled in order to avoid the risk of getting infected (I am over 70). So in a sense I have put myself in the same situation as your relative of my own volition because I know the risks.

Things are a dreadful mess and people are not getting treatment as they should but I would be extremely surprised if the Covid pandemic had changed any policies in the long term. That does not make sense. Everything is on hold temporarily but I don't think anybody is going to discharge people because of Covid. It is easy to get a garbled message. And it may also be the people will get forgotten not by policy but slip up - but that had been happening for years already. About ten years ago the urology department at UCL admitted that a third of its cancer follow up patients had just got lost in the system.

Yes, the situation is terrible, but it has nothing to do with over-reacting.

Alton, Nellie, Mithriel and 20 others like this.
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Lockdown in France for the next 4 weeks. But schools remain open...

Woolie, Wits_End, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  3. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And Germany....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-impose-toughest-restrictions-since-lockdown

edit to add- schools stay open

"GERMANY’S NEW RESTRICTIONS:
    Restaurants, bars, nightclubs and similar establishments will be closed
    All leisure facilities, such as gyms, theaters, opera houses, concert venues, fairs, cinemas and amusement parks will be closed
    People will only be allowed outside with members of their own household and one other and gatherings will be limited to 10 people; violations would carry penalties
    Citizens urged to refrain from private travel and visits to relatives; hotel accommodation restricted to non-tourist purposes
    Schools and daycare centers will stay open, as well as supermarkets and hairdressing salons, under existing hygiene regulations" ( bloomberg)

4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very sorry to hear that. It must be especially stressful under the current circumstances. I hope you're able to get good care, one way or another.

Alton, MEMarge, Sean and 12 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

With respect, living with my mother-in-law, who is a stroke survivor and has cancer herself, probably gives me some insight on which to base my opinion.

Mithriel, MEMarge and Barry like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Don't worry, @Sasha, I am not at all stressed by it. I have had the very best of care (organised by my wife's diligence in researching the problem) and am fortunate in that I know exactly what needs to be done when anyway. If I have a recurrence, as is usually the case there will be no rush because it will be a matter of slowing things rather than cure. But fortunately the chances are now small.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Alton, Nellie, Mij and 14 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

That sounds sensible, if for complicated reasons.
    Information from my daughter is that Covid infections have been pretty rife in schools, with a lot of schools brushing things under the carpet. I suspect much of the recent upsurge is due to schools and universities. But I strongly suspect that the super spreaders and superspreadees will mostly now have done their spreading. That is very much suggested by the flattening of the sharp uptick in the last five days. So maybe schools are OK to keep running.

MEMarge and FMMM1 like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad to hear this Jonathan.

MEMarge and Wits_End like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

That should have been chances, rather than changes - as may have been obvious.

MEMarge, FMMM1 and Barry like this.
  10. Cheshire

At the demand of their hierarchy

Shools have been closed for one week and a half so it may have influenced te very recent numbers.

Sarah94 likes this.
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't really twig. Hope I didn't misunderstand and say the wrong thing. Was replying to my thinking you saying you were coping well and your illness stable.

12. Jonathan Edwards

NowI think may be more confused. The chances of my having a recurrence are very small!!

Nellie, MEMarge, FMMM1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

In the UK the flattening preceded the half term holiday.
    I am not clear what these sudden flattenings mean because I don't think they fit a simple model. My best guess is that they relate to the superspreading issue, which can be switched off suddenly as a result of adjustment of behaviour in 'microcosms' where rapid spread has recently occurred.

Michelle and FMMM1 like this.
  14. Cheshire

I hope you're right, but I remain to be convinced. We'll know in a few weeks I guess.

15. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found parts of this BBC Radio 4 program (inside health) positive e.g. doing rapid testing in 12 minutes. With the low rates in New Zealand and the technology improving (rapid testing) then I assume the risk analysis would indicate that you can start treating people for cancer etc. --- I don't know though---

If you're in the UK then unless they follow @Jonathan Edwards advice i.e. aim to get rates as low as possible, things don't look good re accessing health care. Interesting that @Woolie piece indicates that a hard lockdown works --- 3 cases/day from a peak of 700/day --- in three months -- surely something to aim for in the UK?

16. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had my operation 2 weeks ago after having cancelled in March due to covid outbreak here in NZ. While in hospital I asked one of the medical staff if they were very busy with a backlog of patients and they said no. This was day surgery. My mother was in A&E a week ago and things seemed back to normal there. I don't know about other specialties though.

17. Jonathan Edwards

It worked in the UK in April. London went from 1000 cases day to about 10. Then Grant Shapps told everyone to follow him on holiday to Spain and test and trace was not put in place...

You actually need to get to some days with no cases before you want to ease off. In many ways the smaller the number of cases the greater the argument for keeping hard control because it is the few rogue asymptomatic super spreaders that do the damage.

JaneL, MEMarge, Wits_End and 5 others like this.
  18. FMMM1

Maybe (assuming you and you're mum are in New Zealand) the question needs to be asked (of politicians) -- why are people not being treated?

If you look at countries with comparable infection rates then are there health care systems functioning? How are things going in other countries, with comparable rates, which are continuing to provide treatment?

19. FMMM1

To be fair the BBC Radio 4 (Evan Davis) had an interview this evening with a doctor in Altnagelvin Hospital (North West Northern Ireland). The doctor explained that they didn't have enough beds to admit the people who needed hospital treatment - sounds overwhelmed ---.

MEMarge, Sarah94, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  20. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And I'm starting to get the impression that GPs may be struggling to cope. Not sure how widespread it is, but I think I'm picking up a few worrying signs.

Michelle and MEMarge like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.