1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

So sorry to hear the news from France, @Cheshire. It somehow makes me so sad to think of empty streets in Paris.

2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I am NOT okay with this. Nobody is expendable. It wouldn't be okay even if it were true. But it isn't. The truth is that many previously fit, healthy and productive people have died or become chronically ill from covid.

Everyone here has had their lives ruined by ME, and we (rightly) expect society to do something. We (rightly) object when others try to minimse the seriousness of our condition by saying we're just a bit depressed or need to get out more. We should be the LAST people to be minimising the health problems of others, covid-related or non-covid related. Otherwise it makes us no better than the people we criticise on this forum.

I'm fine with people arguing the case for or against restrictions, but I am totally NOT okay with saying that those whose lives or health has been ruined by covid don't matter because most were on the way out anyway.

3. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Woolie

I am again sorry to say this, but the discussion is not about single cases, but on numbers, and you can only work to minimize damage. In this sense it´s a statistical problem. You can of course wish for golden societies (though I see it mere that our societies are still at risk, and this is not restricted to covid, if I am allowed to say my opinion as a citizen).

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is interesting that some people are still making this comparison between Covid and flu when there is none. When Patrick Vallance and Chris Whitty initially suggested that the pandemic might not be so different from flu and that 20,000 deaths would not be too bad it confirmed my thought that a number of my colleagues have very little insight into reality.

Over the years I have been involved in medical wards taking emergency cases. I do not remember a single case of flu being admitted and given emergency care. A number of old people were admitted with pneumonia but not that I remember with any particular link to flu. If cases were genuinely though to be flu we would have had facilities for isolation and we never did. In fact the old fever hospitals would have stayed open. They didn't.

In comparison UK hospitals in April were overrun with emergency Covid cases.

Yes, there are figures for increased deaths in winter months but I am not sure that anyone actually has figures for the number of deaths from flu. If it is really true that 10,000 people die each year from fluid the UK (for instance) then I think we have to assume that pretty much ALL of these cases are people who are already considered to be terminally ill or have no realistic hope of survival of more than a few months. Maybe flu goes round care homes and kills the terminally frail - of which of course there are many. But even there I wonder because I have not heard of any such cases in may mother's care home.

To suggest that an illness that has a significant mortality rate for people like me at 70 with about 20 years life expectancy is similar to an illness that has a vanishingly small chance o f killing anyone who is not already terminally ill is ridiculous. I realise that people with immunodeficiency are different but even for them I was never aware that flu was a particular fear.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2020
    Ariel, AliceLily, Woolie and 11 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Anybody wondering why the UK test and trace system isn't as effective as it might be this might explain, to some extent, why (assuming it's accurate).

How teenagers ended up operating crucial parts of England’s test and trace system
    https://www.theguardian.com/comment...nd-coronavirus-covid-test-and-trace-teenagers

6. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't agree more.

ahimsa, Woolie, lunarainbows and 9 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I've said it before, but I don't understand why people with a chronic condition such as ME argue that it's OK if people with a chronic condition, whether ME or not, die due to Covid-19 - don't they see that we here are all in that same group of people?

ahimsa, AliceLily, Woolie and 15 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Record 200 days with no local cases makes Taiwan envy of world
    https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/e...ith-no-local-cases-makes-taiwan-envy-of-world

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I keep getting requests (or rather appointments I didn't ask for) from the NHS for various cancer screening. I don't see the point when there is such a back log of people with cancer unable to get treatment.
    (The added irony of course is that as an ME patient I have had 'problems' (to put it mildly) getting any other illness taken seriously let alone treated.)

10. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There has been a surge in cases in daughter's very large primary school in a deprived tier 1 area with a lower covid rate than national average. They did well until the middle of the week before half term but since then, she with the rest of the senior management team has been working flat out to gather information, numbers, liaise with appropriate bodies etc and a decision has now been taken for the school building to remain closed in the week after half term.

Distress all round but as things stand now, 14 out of the 28 classes in the school would be unable to return. The school is being fogged ??? this week, deep cleaned next week prior to children's return. Staff are really distressed that they haven't been able to prevent this by their carefully designed and followed protocols.

Granddaughter's secondary school in that area also has several classes out.

Am beginning to wonder if the local numbers are wrong or if there has been a sudden surge not yet reflected in the statistics.

What will happen to levels in school when they return? Will this just be repeated? In view of France and Germany's decision, are we going to be later rather than sooner again?

11. spinoza577

Because of responsibility for the whole?

The damage from short sighted views might extend the damage from long sighted view.
    If you look at single cases and how bad it is, you miss your responsibility for the majority which one´s people you cannot all visit with your compassion.

Mij likes this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I am having trouble understanding the points being made here. The idea that only those on the brink of death anyway are dying from covid is simply incorrect. In the UK a lot of people have been misled by the reporting in the early stages that those who died had 'underlying conditions'. This was taken by some to mean that they were about to die anyway, when all it actually meant was that they had risk factors such as asthma, obesity, diabetes, etc. Some were simply over 60. Sure some were very old, and caught the virus, because of the problem of living close together in care homes, and some were very sick with other conditions, but many were health workers and others working in environments with high levels of social contact. Many would have expected to have decades of productive life if covid hadn't killed them.

What are limited health services supposed to do if they are overwhelmed with covid patients? Tell them to go home and die? We have to be realistic. If lockdowns are not brought in when cases are rising rapidly, as they are in the UK at the moment, the alternative is that millions get covid, the NHS collapses under the strain, and nobody with other health conditions gets treated anyway. It's not a case of a choice between treating covid or treating other conditions. An overstretched health service has to treat whoever it can who is in the most urgent need.

Numbers catching covid in the UK are rising very rapidly at the moment. Once again hospitals will have to cancel other less immediately urgent care, though the are trying very hard to keep some of those other services going. With more rapid testing becoming available it will be more possible to keep the covid and non covid patients separate in hospitals, which will help, but staff will increasingly need to be redeployed to covid care as cases rise.

Even though they have better treatments now that are saving some lives, death rates from covid in the UK are rising steeply week on week. Test, track, trace and isolate is a complete shambles.

I think we need a total lockdown again. The only way I can see to minimise deaths from all causes including covid is to lock down hard to try to reduce covid and get the test track and isolate system functioning properly at local level.

ahimsa, AliceLily, Woolie and 12 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

[UK] Covid-19: Nearly 100,000 catching virus every day - study
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54723962

AliceLily, Woolie, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  14. spinoza577

I am astonished to read this, although I am not an expert.

https://www.springermedizin.de/preparing-intensive-care-for-the-next-pandemic-influenza/17331718 (first side google gave)

And this is then is not the case with covid, which was said several times that it especially affects ppl with more than one serious morbidity? Also the age is more advanced in covid deaths than in flu deaths, when also young ppl occasionally die from flu, if I havn´t dreamed the information. I admit that the situation may not already have been evaluated throughout. Being carefully, I say again that I don´t say that we wouldn´t have a problem or that one should ignore the virus.

To say it again, one may think wishfully, but it´s also one´s responsiblity, when then the damage gets bigger.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2020
  15. spinoza577

This would be somehow nice, if would be that easy and would be correct, wouldn´t it?

16. yME

yME Established Member (Voting Rights)

Trying not to break forum rules, my wife is expecting to have an early detected, small and non spread breast cancer removed in the next 18 days here in Essex. Is your 'insane' due to post surgery radiotherapy issues? Or just presenting at hospital at present? I have yet to find any information on how effective NHS PPE has been or otherwise so do you have any anecdotal opinions on how your relatives became positive?

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The long winter – why Covid restrictions could last until April
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-long-winter-why-covid-restrictions-could-last-until-april

AliceLily, Michelle, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  18. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sarah94, Kitty, lunarainbows and 3 others like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moderation note:

Moderators have decided to make this thread fully moderated for a while, as there has been an increase in rule breaches. We appreciate that this is an emotive subject with strong views on how the covid pandemic is best handled.

Hutan, Nellie, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  20. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since FHM and the government removed the recommendations for risk groups, local governments have started removing support too. For example, in my town the grocery shops are no longer offering home delivery. I'm devastated.

AliceLily, Woolie, Mij and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.