Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The UK plan doesn’t make sense. Now they’re saying within 10-14 days they will ask everyone with a mild fever or respiratory symptoms to stay at home for 7 days. So instead of cancelling events, reducing chances of crowds to congregate, closing schools, asking people to work remotely or doing anything that other countries are doing.. just ask people to stay at home for 7 days if they have some symptoms? But without being tested? So how will they pick up who does and doesn’t have coronavirus? What if you infect everyone else in your family? What if you’re a carer?

Also they’ve done this without announcing how people will afford to be able to do that. Sick pay? Rent and mortgages? When I last went out, so many people were coughing and sneezing due to colds and flu. They’re not all going to stay at home. They can’t afford to. How will this work?

2. lunarainbows

People won’t care I think. That’s why the Cheltenham festival is going ahead with potentially up to 250,000 people from across the country over 4 days. It’s up the govt to stop events.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2020
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They were discussing at risk groups yesterday on the Jeremy Vine show with Dr Sarah Jarvis; someone with ME contacted them. Dr Jarvis said "For pwME, we just don't know".

4. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. lunarainbows

6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actually i'm quite impressed with Dr J for that. We don't know, & at least it sounds like she didn't give the caller the brush off/minimise etc.

Chezboo, Sly Saint, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PWME do seem to respond to challenges in very different ways.

For instance, some of us have relapsed after a 'flu vaccine, whilst others have it every year with no problem at all. Some pick up every cold that goes around; some almost never get them; some seem to have the same number of colds as everyone else.

It could well be similar with the new virus, i.e. no clearly discernible patterns – at least in those who don't have additional long-term conditions.

rainy, Chezboo, Sly Saint and 10 others like this.
  8. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thought people might find this article from the Grauniad of interest.

oldtimer, shak8, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just read this twitter thread about the situation with coronavirus in northern Italy :

https://twitter.com/user/status/1237142891077697538

Code:
    https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538
    People don't need a twitter account in order to read public twitter threads.

ladycatlover, Chezboo, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  10. lunarainbows

These warnings coming out of Wuhan and now Italy, are terrifying. Northern Italy has one of the best healthcare systems in the world as ranked by the WHO, and many times the number of intensive Care Beds we have in the UK. 3/4 of our intensive care beds are already taken. Yet this has happened in Italy. It’s going to be too late for us and I don’t know what our leaders think they’re doing by not bringing in social distancing yet. God I feel so helpless and scared. :( :(

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  11. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

shak8 and Michelle like this.
  12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is possible to get things under control - if people do their part.

The South Korea Experience:

[​IMG]
    https://t.co/sueAO9XLF7

NelliePledge, shak8, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  13. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

shak8, JemPD, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  14. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    shak8, Hutan, Sarah94 and 4 others like this.
  15. lunarainbows

What does an epidemic peak mean? Does it mean the highest number of cases there ever will be in that country?

If so, why did the UK say yesterday a peak is expected within a fortnight? How do they know it’ll come down after that, and How can anyone actually predict a peak until after it’s happened. I don’t think any cases in Europe have peaked yet?

16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds to be a crucial part of how the South Koreans seem to have got on top of things:

17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it must mean number of cases diagnosed per day. If it was cumulative then it could flat line but never go back down, so to my way of looking at it could never 'peak' though some might nonetheless report it that way I suppose. But I'm no expert on this!

18. lunarainbows

Hmm yes. But how can they imagine it will peak in 2 weeks and the number of cases will start coming down after that, when they’ve basically taken no social distancing measures right now :/ what can that be based on?

Sarah94 and Barry like this.
  19. lunarainbows

Sarah94 and Barry like this.
  20. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The chinese government did at first try to hide and then try to donwplay the problem.

Barry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.