Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Listening to BoJo brief the nation, he's confident of beating turning the tide of the coronavirus within the next 12 weeks apparently....

ETA: He definitely said "turning the tide of", he may not have said "beating".

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    ladycatlover, Sarah94, Nellie and 3 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Also, apparently, the first UK subject has entered a randomised treatment trial - I'm no scientist but I think we may need more than one subject for that kind of trial to work.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I guess every clnical trial starts with one patient, then more are added as suitable ones become available and agree to participate.

4. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it will be particularly useful if they’re randomised to the placebo control arm of the trial.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think maybe getting us out of an Italy scenario with young doctors dying by the day.
    At least they are escalating. And if enough people watch the news they will start to realise just why it is worth self-isolating.

MeSci, ladycatlover, Sarah94 and 7 others like this.
  6. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do we know when we may be expected to “peak” and when it may be, that cases would come down to very low levels again, in the UK?
    Obviously it’s dependent on social distancing. But is there a rough estimate

Sarah94 likes this.
  7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

SARS-CoV-2 cases in Italy and daily increase in cases.png

8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Depends on whose rough estimate you want I guess!

The computer modellers will no doubt have an estimate with no relation to reality. The government may think they have a plan and an idea of how things will start to turn but from what I have seen they have no understanding at present.

My understanding of the situation is that it is currently driven by the fact that the NHS is now unable to cope but it will take another four or five days for that to become so apparent that complete lockdown in London will be inevitable. Maybe medical staff will walk out (mostly on an individual basis I suspect) when they see one or two more news items on their colleagues in Italy.

If things are locked down the current peak will start to go down in about ten days I think. By that time a bit more sense may prevail and it may go on going down. As to what happens next I have no idea but if the government relaxes things again too soon we will be back to where we are now pretty sharpish - within a month at most.

I am pretty sure that fairly soon what happens in the UK will just be dictated by the experience in Italy and also France, Spain and Germany. It should have done a month ago. So Whitty and Vallance will become irrelevances.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2020
  9. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just read this article in the Guardian, would like to see the data of their experiment.

Scientists say mass tests in Italian town have halted Covid-19 there
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ss-tests-in-italian-town-have-halted-covid-19

ladycatlover, Mij, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  10. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman and lunarainbows like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sarah94, JaneL, Chezboo and 4 others like this.
  12. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If the current infection rate keeps up, and folk keep ignoring the social distancing policy, by mid April everyone (who isn't isolating or protected) will (might/could?) be infected. If the mitigation strategies work (to flatten the curve), it could take a lot longer than that, but things should start to slow down in a couple of weeks - and by "slow down", that means the rate of increase will slow down. Italy's infections are still climbing, and we are 3 weeks behind them.

Ultimately, it's really difficult to tell, and it's even harder to predict when the authorities are giving such mixed messages.

MeSci, ladycatlover, Sarah94 and 10 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Seems to, yes.

Possibly/probably.

I wouldn't know. I thought he seemed pretty angry to be honest.

14. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A company in Lombardy (Copan Diagnostics) made half a million tests and sold them to the US.

ladycatlover, Simon M, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  16. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess one problem with the modelling in the UK is the fact that there is no testing of people in the community who have symptoms and no testing of their contacts (regardless of whether they have symptoms) so you don't have the data to populate a model. You probably only have outcomes i.e. people who are hospitalised but the number of people hospitalised doesn't really tell you how the rate of transmission is increasing.

17. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not enough ventilators!

Barry, Sarah94, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  18. lunarainbows

Many things but definitely the fact fewer people are being identified, as no one in the community with symptoms is being tested - only if you are admitted to hospital.

Wits_End, ladycatlover, Barry and 5 others like this.
  19. lunarainbows

When you said, if things are locked down then the current peak will go down within 10 days. But with Italy, I think it’s been over 10 days since they’ve been locked down and the number of new cases and deaths per day are still rising?

Or do you mean with a 14 day lag, and then 10 days?

With things in London so bad, I cannot understand what the govt hope to achieve by leaving things to get even worse at this point.

ladycatlover, FMMM1 and Sarah94 like this.
  20. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think there is a more fundimental issue in how they are using the modelling. They should be running over a number of permutations so that they know when the model is reliable in its prediction and where the model is sensitive to the assumed parameters. I've not heard anyone talking about doing this and how the predictions would change.

ladycatlover, FMMM1, Barry and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.