Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This paper "SPI-M-O: Consensus view on public gatherings" ...

https://assets.publishing.service.g...i-m-o-consensus-view-on-public-gatherings.pdf

... seems to work on the assumption that people parachute into their seats. In reality people mingle very closely in packed queues, run their hands along the backs of chairs, hand rails, toilet and wash facilities, etc. Let alone the shared public transport to and from.

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do not see how there can have been any relevant evidence. The psychological situation is different for each infectious disease - smallpox, TB, flu, syphilis, measles, coronavirus. Without ever previously having an epidemic with the parameters of Covid19 there is no way of knowing how people will behave. People may forget that TB was more or less eradicated from the UK by social distancing and legally enforceable isolation. It worked very well. There is the story of the village that isolated itself against the plague. Attempts to stem influenza outbreaks may have been unsuccessful but they were in different times with different means of communication and the infectivity was high and incubation short.

By the end of January Wuhan told us all we needed to know. There was nothing to model or theorise about. It was clear that without lockdown you had failure of your healthcare system. Anything beyond this is just fiddling while Rome burns.

3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Roy S I managed to find some stuff online. One of the factors is that women are less likely to die ; however, those with respiratory problems etc. are more likely to die ---. Not getting the virus before being vaccinated sounds like the best strategy!

JemPD, AliceLily, Roy S and 1 other person like this.
  4. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I put my posts about the Imperial college paper out as a blog, with a bit more explanation. I know this group has moved on but it's here as a reference.

The section on Yo-yo control might be of interest

Until very recently, the US and UK governments were taking a relatively gentle approach to controlling the new coronavirus epidemic – compared with most other governments around the world. A very recent report from UK academics shows that the strategy would probably have led to a huge number of deaths — well over a million in the US. The report is based on a detailed model using information from many sources. This blog explains how the model works, what it finds and why it is likely those numbers changed US and UK government plans for the better. It also explains the Yo-Yo control strategy that the UK government has started to mention.

https://mecfsresearchreview.me/2020...ifts-in-policy-by-uk-and-us-governments/#yoyo

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I wonder what they mean by 'close contact' here?

Isn't it pretty normal to be pushed up close to a range of people while queuing to get in, for food, etc?

It does seem a problem! I'd like to at least be able to see the evidence that was cited, and claimed to be relevant. That's largely because I'm interested in spin.

ladycatlover, Michelle, Barry and 6 others like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Too late. One of my husband's colleagues is from Cornwall. Many of their 2nd home owners are already there.busily filling cafés, restaurants etc.

ladycatlover likes this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cafes, pubs and restaurants being told to close tonight in the UK:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51981653

About flipping time...

8. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Influx from urban city dwellers is my concern too for my area of West Somerset, where there is no hospital with an ICU (just a small community hospital in Minehead, with a very small Minor Injury Unit) and a third of the population over 65. I did the census in 2011 in West Somerset, loads of 2nd homes usually empty, and I heard lots of stories of how awful the locals were treated by the owners when they did come.

There is an exclusive Health Farm and Spa, which has lots of hotel rooms and several self-catering units located in my nearest village where the 2 nearest small shops are (2 miles from my hamlet). I checked their website and they are still accepting bookings and presumably won't fall under the 'restaurant, pub and cafe' forced closures. Yes, they are only going to attract the wealthy, but they are no more immune to the coronavirus than the poor. So I'm thinking if I do have to go out to shop (if the supermarket delivery system continues to fail) then I will drive to the small town where my GP practice is located, 10 miles away.

9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Car manufacturers in Canada ready to make ventilators: An interesting business angle on the COVID-19 situation to watch is how business is coming together to help address the crisis. Here’s a great story from FP reporters Emily Jackson and Naomi Powell about how auto manufacturers are looking at retooling their manufacturing lines to build vital medical equipment.

:emoji_thumbsup:

10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Right. When I was outside Kings Cross St Pancras at 9 am on 7/7 the guy with the high viz and the megaphone wasn’t saying ‘please could you very kindly avoid the area’ he was saying ‘leave the area immediately!- walk North‘ nobody was under any illusions about the seriousness of the situation.

ladycatlover, SallyC, JaneL and 7 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely - with football matches you queue up to get in and are patted down by security then you go through very tight turnstiles which are made of metal and have to be pushed to get through. Then straight into the crowded concourse where the food and drink is served basically like walking across a crowded bar. Then through to the stadium through your entrance. The seating is not generously spaced especially for the hefty built you are brushing past people as you go to your seat x2 if you go back out to the concourse at half time - even if just for the loo rather than beer or a pie. Getting food/beverage is very much like trying to get served in a busy pub.

ladycatlover, JaneL, Esther12 and 3 others like this.
  12. Simbindi

ladycatlover, Michelle, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't be too hard on us second home owners. We have always had a second home (actually our first own home) as a way of surviving working in London NHS hospitals during the week. Now our daughter works for a state school we need two homes so that she can work and we can hide away in Suffolk.

Now that the bars and cafes are closed I doubt the SHOs will cause too much trouble. They might provide some other badly needed work. When we decamped to Woodbridge we tried to book a table at a restaurant to celebrate having our offer accepted on a flat for our daughter to live in in the future. But everywhere was booked up by big parties of locals no doubt joking about all the unnecessary panic!

And getting the wrinklies out of London may be the best way to allow normal business to recover with all the youngsters getting over Corona and getting back to work!

14. Simbindi

15. Simbindi

I don't think locals have any problems with second home owners that use their properties on a regular basis, contribute to the local economy and treat the locals with respect. But there are some homes that are empty for over 10 months of the year and pockets of the country where 2nd homes form a high percentage of the available housing stock - a very problematic combination.

16. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover likes this.
  17. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't read your blog yet but thanks in advance. I was surprised when I listened to the Radio 4 6pm news this evening. Apparently, they can ease restrictions/re-instate restrictions to manage the availability of ventilators in ICU. When there are ventilators available --- the cafe's will open and when the ventilators are full the cafes will close --- who would have thought it was that easy! Modelling who needs it!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  18. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BPS theorists do not seem to understand that we do not have teleports. They never consider how much effort it takes to get to a clinic or to work when they say how much exercise people with ME should take.

Never considered transport before no need to start now:(

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  19. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

This one from Wessely is very poor and certainly not evidence just opinion. He seems to think quarantining happens to a whole area rather than house by house in a lock down. Also talks of stress of being quarantined but no concept of the stress of government inaction.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m313.long

Chezboo, ladycatlover, JemPD and 9 others like this.
  20. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Noticed that Ioannidis has published an editorial where he criticizes some of the more stringent isolation measures taken by western governments. He seems to defend the position that the US and UK governments were taken before gradually changing course.

Regarding the Case Fatality Rate (CFR) he writes (my bolding):
    But at the time of writing the crude CFR for South Korea has risen to 1.06% and the CFR for China to 4%. The reason is quite simple: there is a significant time delay between diagnosing someone as a case of COVID-19 and death as a result of COVID-19. The WHO report wrote that "Among patients who have died, the time from symptom onset to outcome ranges from 2-8 weeks" and Zhou et al. write the median time from illness onset to death was 18.5 days.

So if you're able to determine X cases of COVID-19 you have to wait two weeks or more to see how many of those X cases have died because of the illness. I think most CFR reported simply divide the number of cases and deaths momentaneously, which makes them a bit of an underestimation. It explains why the CFR has been increasing in countries like China and South-Korea where the number of cases has fallen dramatically as the death rate has a delay in catching up. Similarly, in Germany, the epidemic probably has only just started so one could expect the CFR to rise significantly over the coming weeks.

I've tried to make a graph for South-Korea and China (they have different Y-axes so the crossing of the lines doesn't mean anything, also the South-Korean graph starts at a later date)

upload_2020-3-20_22-25-14.png upload_2020-3-20_22-26-39.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    FMMM1, lunarainbows, Sarah and 17 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.