Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Invisible Woman the Met police were on the News yesterday saying they had been put in a “very very difficult position” and that the govt had not communicated with them at all about how they were supposed to deal with or enforce these new rules.

It seems they were just as much in the dark as the rest of us!

I think people are going to just keep taking advantage of things until the police / other govt bodies get on top of things. Like I heard yesterday Sports Direct are staying open because they said they’re an essential service as people need clothes to go jogging and do exercise!

Wits_End, Sarah94, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  2. lunarainbows

JaneL, Barry, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's estimated that one million Canadians flew back to Canada these past few weeks. One elderly women died on the plane from COVID19. The passengers were not properly screened before or after their flight and told to self-isolate when they arrive home. I highly doubt most will do this from what I am seeing on t.v. It makes me very angry to see ppl not taking this seriously.

4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apparently it's down to Environmental Health and Trading Standards Authorities to monitor compliance and then the police to provide support as necessary according to the PDF @Andy posted upthread.

I guess they will continue to us the usual lines of communication between them. They might want to improve those though.

I think ultimately there will end up being the penalty of local goodwill as well for businesses appearing to profiteer or flout regulations put in place to protect us all. Especially as the number of deaths rise. Of course, that's after the event.

Each individual has a responsibility too though, not to spend money in businesses which shouldn't be open.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Sarah94, Sean, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this is true with bars and restaurants closed the spread of the infection should drop dramatically.

6. lunarainbows

Sarah94, JemPD, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How confident can we be of that 15% figure? Could it be that the other family members do get infected but their symptoms are negligible? Or is the figure determined from positive testing?

ETA: No worries, should have read rest of thread first.

spinoza577 likes this.
  8. Barry

Fully appreciated. But there must be quite a lot of jobs need doing even amongst the farmed-out roles, meals, drinks, etc. There are likely roles which do not involve direct involvement with patients but which might still be risky for uninfected people?

JaneL and Invisible Woman like this.
  9. Barry

Yes, I did hear the other day that severity of symptoms may be related to length and intensity of exposure, rather than a simple binary you get it or you don't. Not sure of the veracity of that though.

Sarah94, JaneL and spinoza577 like this.
  10. lunarainbows

11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52022417

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely. If past presidents of royal colleges are not up to going back to medicine then they should volunteer as kitchen skivvies or barmaids.

Sean, JemPD, JaneL and 10 others like this.
  13. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, indeed! Here in Montreal I hear some folks 70+ annoyed with Prime minister Legault, and saying that it is 'ageism' to ask them to confine themselves at home, if they are healthy and well. But I read another story, I think in the National Post, of a doctor begging folks to abide by confinement. He stated that his Dad, in his 70s, very healthy and strong and still running the family store, died within 7 days of Covid. The son stated that his Dad was in hospital and that on day 6 he so deteriorated he died on day 7. He had no underlying conditions.

hinterland, Sean, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cases increased by more than yesterday.
    SARS-CoV-2 cases in Italy and daily increase in cases(2).png Daily increase of SARS-CoV-2 cases in Italy relative to the previous day(2).png

JaneL, BurnA, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  15. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

JaneL, BurnA, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  16. lunarainbows

I really would like to see the model, and would also like to see many other epidemiologists and scientists (including ones critical of the original Imperial model and SAGE decisions), have a look at this model. We’ve already been down a disastrous road before in the UK, and again it seems to be another UK team with a study that shows “the emerging evidence made her confident that humanity would build up herd immunity against Covid-19.”.

Ie this model is once again another pathway to supporting the govt’s original standpoint of: well since we have/will get herd immunity, we don’t need these kinds of restrictions and don’t need to stop the virus spreading.

JaneL, Chezboo, Amw66 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whatever the truth is, we can be sure that the UK public will be blamed for the spread of the disease and the deaths that occur. The fact that we have no accurate statistics on anything to do with COVID-19 in the UK (apart from possibly deaths, but I would be surprised if even that was accurate) because almost nobody gets tested, the fact that there is a huge lack of protective equipment for the general public who want it, the patients who are in hospital for accidents, heart attacks, strokes etc, and the doctors, nurses and other healthcare staff who are working with the sick, the fact that we have too few staff, too few beds, too few ventilators... I suspect all these things are going to be brushed under the carpet while the public get blamed for everything.

The government is passing the buck, big time. And yet they have been getting it wrong almost from the beginning.

Wits_End, Sarah94, Sean and 9 others like this.
  18. lunarainbows

@Adam pwme

I think this is the model from Oxford which says over 50% of the population of UK are infected. Does anyone want to have a look at it? (Edit: confirmed that yes this is the model).

And yes it is all about “herd immunity”.

Edit: I’ve just had a quick look over it. It seems to be a simple model, not really taking into account much at all? And is also making some big assumptions I think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxmu2rwsnhi9j9c/Draft-COVID-19-Model (13).pdf?dl=0

19. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @lunarainbows I thought it didn't look reliable. I'm more interested in them doing a test of a sample of the population. Its the only way of knowing.

spinoza577, JaneL, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  20. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Woolie, JaneL, Andy and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.