Covid-19 - Psychological research and treatment

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by obeat, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the days before CFS, it was felt that one of the reasons for the prejudice against ME was because of the number of doctors who became ill. Rather than it making the medical profession believe it was real it had the opposite effect. It was a form of denial, that only doctors who just weren't up to it got it, rather than there being a disease out there that could change your life in an instant.

I read a biography of a doctor with MS who faced the same sort of disdain when she became ill with but had not been diagnosed. One former mentor said he was disappointed that she did not have the staying power to work at it properly.

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Medical training selects strongly in favour of high levels of stamina. Which leads to doctors not really understanding what it is like to not have high levels of stamina.

(Not all doctors, but on average.)

TiredSam, JemPD, Arnie Pye and 7 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Merged thread

Fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic – should we prepare for a tsunami of post viral depression?, 2020, Lyons et al

Abstract, https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...l-depression/779EC572B546D74A66899840786D8529
    Link to open access PDF, https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...re_for_a_tsunami_of_post_viral_depression.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2020
  4. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Rubbing their hands with glee

ladycatlover, Wonko, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

quite; boom time for IAPT

ladycatlover, EzzieD, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there isn't a tsunami of depression then you can bet your life they'll redefine what depression means!

This pandemic is a godsend for the MUS, IAPT brigade. No matter what inroads made so far in showing it up for the nonsense it is, they'll be using the pandemic as an excuse for years to come.

alktipping, TiredSam, Sarah94 and 7 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Considering there is no such thing as "post viral depression", no, no preparation needed.

All this is showing is that the field of mental health literally cannot tell depression apart from other things. Same with anxiety. Or frankly mental illness. It's literally all just guesses and opinions. This wouldn't be a problem if those opinions were measured but, no, they are fanatical and aggressive, more cult-like than anything having to do with science.

At this point just put the homeopaths in charge who gives a damn there's literally no difference.

It asks the question:
    And the clear answer is not a damned thing, psychiatrists are much more likely to wreak havoc here, they almost always do. Not because the specialty cannot help, but because of historical grandfathered belief systems, it is incapable of doing so in the present circumstances. It has decades of failure to self-reflect upon before being of any use. Heal thyself first, doc.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    alktipping and TiredSam like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Preprint
    Mental health in the UK during the COVID-19 pandemic: early observations

View ORCID ProfileRu Jia, View ORCID ProfileKieran Ayling, View ORCID ProfileTrudie Chalder, Adam Massey, View ORCID ProfileElizabeth Broadbent, View ORCID ProfileCarol Coupland, View ORCID ProfileKavita Vedhara

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.14.20102012v1

Invisible Woman likes this.
  9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Homeopaths almost certainly do less damage than IAPT, CBT and blaming everything on MUS, so I'd be happier with the homeopaths.

10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the quote in post #68 :

"The cohort was predominantly female (85%)"

I thought that men were the worst sufferers of severe Covid-19?

A community cohort study was conducted with adults aged ≥18 years recruited through a mainstream and social media campaign

There must have been something dodgy about the design of the recruitment campaign if they ended up with a cohort which was 85% female.

11. Sean

Interventions targeting perceptions of: loneliness, risk of COVID-19, worry about COVID-19, and positive mood may be effective.

'perceptions' ???

WTF? Is this their new buzz word for everything psych related? It's all about perceptions?

12. rvallee

What the hell is this word salad?

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

13. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Back on the 'Mind, Body, Illness: Amidst Pandemic, Opportunities for discovery' blog highlighted earlier the dialogue continues in the comments.

The author has this to say in response to a rather well written critique by a respondent:

To me it looks like yet another example of opining on a subject for which they have knowledge but of the most shallow kind. Then they just dive right in to the deep end.

The irony being that by doing so they end up drowning the rest of us with their 'expertise'.

14. 2kidswithME

2kidswithME Established Member (Voting Rights)

15. rvallee

Condescension always looks bad. It looks absolutely pathetic when it condescends on woo.

This is a bunch of woo. It suggests one can essentially shield against a viral infection by happy thoughts, or something to that effect. Completely ridiculous.

16. rvallee

Whew now that is what we call loaded questions. They are almost all framed in the most extreme possible way. This is borderline "when have you stopped beating your wife?" level of loaded questions.

I can reduce this questionnaire to a simple question:
    1. ARE YOU SUPER DUPER EXTREMELY CATASTROPHISING?

a. Yes.

b. YES I AM AFRAID OF MY SHADOW AND THE UNIVERSE IS SHATTERING IN FRONT OF MY EYES!!!

c. I HAVE NOW TWICE DIED OF FRIGHT PLEASE MAKE MY CORPSE BEAUTIFUL​

17. rvallee

Wow, I mean, seriously look at those questions:

19. My response to the lockdown shows that I am a bad person.

20. My life is worthless now.

21. Whenever my breath is short I think I've got the virus.

22. If I feel hot, I think I'm dying.

29. The virus is on almost every surface.

30. Everything is contaminated with the virus.

34. People are deliberately trying to give me the virus.

35. The virus is particularly going after me.

38. If anyone is going to get coronavirus, it will definitely be me.

39. I deserve to get coronavirus.
    Seriously these people need help. Real help. Chill a bit. Have a beer. Go gardening. I don't know, that stuff is not healthy.

18. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldn't find anything about it on the Oxford Uni website, so I almost wonder whether it might be a fake...

2kidswithME likes this.
  19. Sean

Who are the real catastrophists here? The people answering the questions, or the ones asking them?

20. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It may sound silly to you, but these are things that people with certain mental disorders (E.g. OCD or psychosis) may think. I agree the questionnaire is absolutely terribly designed though.